Hey Veeky Forums

Hey Veeky Forums,
I've seen >pic related pop up on /pol/ a few times before but ive always been late to the thread.
Can someone explain what this picture is ?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enterobacteria_phage_T4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enterobacteria_phage_T4

just some virus that infects and fucks inside ecoli

Bacteriophage. Viruses are fucking cool.

Any idea why the drawings look like little robots ?

>he didn't watch Jimmy Neutron

cos that's what they look like. there's more of these little fucks than there are every other living thing on the planet combined including bacteria

>cos thats what they look like

They are actually metallic in design ?

"Metallic" is not a type of design. If you mean, "are they made of metal?" then no, obviously not.

>implying viruses are alive

pic makes them look like little robots so is was pretty confused

better pic
they're just so teeny tiny that artists simplify the design when they draw them

They are not metallic, but yes, they have sharp edges and geometric traits. Obviously diagrams make it look a lot cleaner than they generally are, but it is accurate to the anatomy.

Lol, you beat me by 11 seconds

phagemind
aaand just learned this is actually a man made model but OP hopefully gets the idea that things are open to interpretation at this scale

At that scale what force is allowing them to stay attached, is it still Van see Waals force?

AH I see! cheers guys
Im reading the wiki now.
If anyone has any other pictures of these little fuckers ( or any other viruses/bacteria with an interesting structure) please post here, im pretty interested

Yep i totally get it now, was just spooked as to why the pic was drawn so specifically

>Holy fuck /pol/ you cant just post NANOBOTS and not explain REEE

also, Veeky Forums is a cool board

I am not sure. I have to imagine viruses have some pretty sophisticated mechanisms for sticking to the surfaces of cells though, seeing as it is their whole deal.

't was the so called "Lunar Excursion Module" from the Apollo NASA mission

haha

Posting phages

They are attached to ecoli ?

Texture reminds me of a flan for some reason, now I'm hungry.

Dunno what cell they're attached to.

ah they are damn small

They remind me of a machine from The Matrix.
Not the squids, one of the bigger ones.

They look very robotic, no doubt about that.

something about these little fuckers makes me uneasy

there are millions of them on your skin RIGHT NOW

Ha i just realised how massive a Tardigrde is compared to these

look up how massive viruses are compared to prions.

Not that sort of uneasy
just, mind blowing to be reminded that some bacteria looks and acts this way

Bacteriophage*

it's really not, from a biochemistry standpoint. If you throw into a solution their DNA and protein coat monomers, they naturally just form those shapes, all on their own. Self-assembly is a crazy thing, but it makes perfect sense on the molecular level

Aren't prions just stings of free floating proteins? They don't self replicate do they?

*Strings

They do self replicate, that's their whole schtick. proteinacious infectious particle, or prions, are normal proteins which for some reason have a secondary stable folding pattern which is able to self-replicate upon exposure to a properly folded analog of itself. This leads to very long fibrils of accumulated protein products, which cause lots of damage, especially in the brain.

it's a bacteriofag

I know that some (most?) of them perforate the cell membrane to introduce their shit so i'd suppose that they simply "anchor" themselves mechanically.

d-id it die?

Right, but at that scale they don't have gravity, so I was wondering is it an electrostatic force like Van der Waals, like how bugs stick to things, or was there a force at play even smaller than that. I've got no idea how physics work at that scale really.

They're basically DNA in a protein construct so I imagine apolar protein side chains can use hydrophobic interactions with the inner part of the cellular membrane, or conversely: polar or charged side chains can interact with the hydrophilic outside of the membrane.
Or maybe they form new temporary peptide bonds with proteins sticking out of the membrane.
I'm just speculating.
Pic related is membrane.

>this is your average /pol/edditor

You got your answer, now please go back, we have enough /pol/ spillover to deal with as it is, thanks!

too late senpai.
With /pol/ crippling under the weight of endless raiding you can be damn sure im spending more time on Veeky Forums

Well, as long as you don't shit up the board with frogposting and political bullshit I don't really care, we have enough of that already. Keep up the curiosity user

Always like how this lad looks