REC THREAD

Hey assholes. I'm drunk and I wanna help strangers out on the internet. Post what you want to read, and I'll do my best to recommend a good book for you.

drunk rec thread
sounds good

I'm 24 and never really read a book, except Fight Club because I liked the movie. So I dunno, gimme some random suggestions that are not science fiction or phantasy / tolkien influenced or whatever. thanks

please give some good nonfiction and/or popscience books.

I want to branch out of literature and get into philosophy and mathematics, thus combining the three. Is there a book about doing just that?

A lot of stuff by chuck palahniuk is really good. He experiments with styles and that monotone humor is in all of his stuff, but you'll get sick of it eventually. Read Rant and Invisible Monsters by him.

Gotta admit, not sure what qualifies as pop-fiction, but as far as non fiction goes, try The Ugly Renaissance by Alexander Lee. It's what I'm reading right now.

Godel, Escher, Bach: The Eternal Golden Braid

not OP but I'm high so it might count
Thank You for Smoking is an excellent book from a movie you might also like. Another one where it's worth it for the differences between the movie and book to have a look at both.

Quinine by Fiammetta Rocco
(history of malaria treatment, but with everything from papal elections to Hitler touched on)

Give me the best book about childhood experience

Hmm. I'm not great at either of those subjects, but try maybe The Edge of Infinity by Paul Davis. It's about the universe and stuff. And there were things in there like "infinity can also be a cm long". Which stuck with me.

I'm drunk as shit too mate so I'm feel kinda nostalgic(same persuun)

what KIND of childhood experience? I have a book on... well, it's not a very nice book. Should it be YA? Or do you want a book about an old guy recounting his childhood? Can it be an autobiography? Because Augusten Burroughs is who I'd recommend.

>popsci

Penrose - Fashion, Faith, and Fantasy in the New Physics of the Universe

Dolnick - The Clockwork Universe

Das Glasperlenspiel

David Sedaris is maybe a bit meme, but goddamn if he isn't funny as shit.

Hacking's The Taming of Chance
Strathern's Dr Stranglove's Game
Barrow's The Infinite Book
Smullyan's Alice in Puzzleland (also Lewis Carroll's work in general, including the Game of Logic)
Or any of their other books that appeal to you, but all those you could go from beginner to having a good history/working knowledge.

my diary desu

>that part in Me Talk Pretty One Day where he hits himself on the forehead with his shoe

Dandelion Wine is very good for Americana
So The Wind Won't Blow it All Away is a sadder Americana but also filled with good feels like wet grass on your tennis shoes.

AA Milne if you want to go younger.

Something kind, good, warm and lovely, with real friendship and maybe even love, I'm gonna see your suggestion right now, thanks mate!

>Penrose
mon coco
Adding to this Fact Fiction and Forecast by Nelson Goodman

no problem user! I don't like autobiographies, so I bought them on accident, but I loved them. I hope you like them, user!

thanks, ordered Thank You for Smoking
will read, then watch the movie

Anyone know any tongue in cheek sci-fi that's not too sci-fi?

I hope you enjoy it user

Still here. Still drunk. Come at me Veeky Forums.

Recommend me a zizek work

I don't know anything about zizek.