Can animals think very deeply?

can animals think very deeply?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Mirror_test#Ants
psychologytoday.com/blog/canine-corner/201107/does-my-dog-recognize-himself-in-mirror
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

My dog choked on a piece of food last week and literally passed out from oxygen loss before I saved his life. Once he came to a few minutes later, he sat by my feet trying to get me to feed it to him again.

That dog is probably just confused by seein his own reflection. He is not thinking deeply.

No, animals cannot recognize themselves in the mirror. We know this.

oops i meant dogs go easy on me guys

Dogs are so fucking stupid it's hilarious. You ever just sit and watch your dog and think "what the fuck is this idiot doing?"
That's part of why we love them so much and all doggos are good doggos.

lol I was just about to dunk on you

they aren't stupid stop being mean

ants can recognize themselves. What does it mean?

Poor dog can't escape belittlement from humans even when experiencing an existential crisis.

What a pitiful existence.

I sure hope there are no gods or aliens or anything superior to humans. I wouldn't be able to take it lightly if something thought of me as I think of this dog. Just unimaginably incomplete in its comprehension of the world.

>dogs
are you implying all dogs have the same intelligence? because that's wrong. some breeds are a lot smarter than others. (I know its taboo saying this on such a liberal board, but there are many studies showing it)

>a species that has been subject to eugenics has strains with different notable features

How is this controversial? Genetic flow in dogs is very low, quite unlike humans.

No, that's why we hate them so much. Dogs are annoying retarded smelly drooly noisy fucks and I wish they were extinct.

for some reason the wikipedia for the mirror test still states that the eurasian magpie is the only non-mammal capable of passing the mirror test. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Mirror_test#Ants

it seems they have some reservations about adding it to the wikipedia because it's a single study

my doggo is pretty smart.

Understands a large amount of plain english, I've always talked to her like a person and she's picked up english more or less like a person. If I'm talking to her and say a word shes not familiar with, like 'gyroscope' she tilts her head at me when I say it.

I've also came across a spot she was hiding all her balls at. She had them evenly spaced in order of ascending height.

>Dogs are so fucking stupid it's hilarious
They are smarter than most animals. Be nice to dogs

Your dog has autism lmao

Not particularly. But there is a species of ape that gives a great impression of "deep thought".

My husky sometimes plans out scenarios and considers angles of approach and shit when she's hunting ducks.

You can tell shes going over every possibility. It's pretty fun to watch.

They basically summed up by saying "It's not unrealistic to presume that some ants have some sense of self awareness." A good chunk of those 3 ant species they tested, (~65%ish) used their reflection to clean themselves, so it's not concrete but I'd say odds are in favour.

I'm on my phone so I can't be arsed to try reading it, but how the fuck can ants even perceive their own image in a mirror? They can hardly see distinct shapes.

you have autism lmao

dogs must be thinking about something, they are known to remember certain things that makes them happy. which is one of the reasons why dogs have favorite people and not so favorite people. they can also remember human faces soooooo they know they looking at themselves when they look in the mirror.

>But there is a species of ape that gives a great impression of "deep thought".
Homo sapiens?

I feel so bad for that dog having to live with that owner

Watching people refer to themselves as dogs sure is entertaining.

Hello Nick.

Kek thank you for your story

dogs don't hold grudges and they are fiercely loyal.

we don't deserve dogs.

my new dog is a dumbass but my family's old dog, a poodle, definitely had some level of logical reasoning ability

like if he was about to do something he knew would get him punished, you'd see him poke his head into the room and check to see if you're watching TV or the computer. if you turned to him, he'd walk towards you. if you pretended you didn't see him, he would duck back out and then if you walked to the kitchen 2 minutes later you'd see him trying to get into the trash or something.

he was an escape artist. climbed fences, paw over paw through the rungs like a ladder, to get over. got out of a crate once by biting one set of bars then biting the adjacent set of bars to make a hole between them big enough to squeeze through. used to slip his jaw under his collar if you didn't have it tight enough, then chew it until it broke. pushed furniture around to get a platform to jump on the table and get into shit. opened free-swinging doors by throwing his body into them to get them to rebound open.

>like if he was about to do something he knew would get him punished, you'd see him poke his head into the room and check to see if you're watching TV or the computer. if you turned to him, he'd walk towards you. if you pretended you didn't see him, he would duck back out and then if you walked to the kitchen 2 minutes later you'd see him trying to get into the trash or something.
>he was an escape artist. climbed fences, paw over paw through the rungs like a ladder, to get over. got out of a crate once by biting one set of bars then biting the adjacent set of bars to make a hole between them big enough to squeeze through. used to slip his jaw under his collar if you didn't have it tight enough, then chew it until it broke. pushed furniture around to get a platform to jump on the table and get into shit. opened free-swinging doors by throwing his body into them to get them to rebound open.
kek

Back to pol. Both of you

Do you also think a chiwawa is the same size as a great dean?
genetics doesn't exist right?

I'm not so sure. When my dog was a puppy, he very obviously couldn't (he spent 30 minutes barking at his reflection, he'd sometimes approach and growl, then he'd see his reflection approaching and back off), however as he grew up he learned to ignore it.

Its proof he recognizes the reflections in the mirror aren't objects in themselves, but not proof that he recognizes they are reflections of real objects.

This is worth reading.

psychologytoday.com/blog/canine-corner/201107/does-my-dog-recognize-himself-in-mirror

tl;dr we don't know, but there is some (inconclusive) evidence to suggest dogs do have some sense of self awareness.

>a species that has been subject to eugenics has strains with different notable features
Interestingly enough, there is a natural process which selectively results in the propagation of certain genes within a population.

>because it's a single study

That hasn't stopped 1000s of other wiki articles from doing the same thing.

At least that dog can think deeper than his owned.

Some can

yes but besides the part on the giant panda, every other animal on that page unequivocally can recognize itself in the mirror; and this requires higher cognitive function, a more advanced forebrain. whatever causes an ant to ""recognize itself in the mirror"" is clearly different than what causes a bottleneck dolphin

Why do cats seem so smart yet aren't social? Was it autism?

>liberal board
Back to safe space

read my correction under that post

also not a single dog has shown to be capable of passing the mirror test

Yes, cats are the autistic feminists of the animal kingdom.

>cats
>feminists
But male cats rape females and try to dig the sperm out that with a spiked dick that hurts her.
Also wtf is with that webm.

Doggos go mostly by smell instead of sight, which could help explain why they can recognize different people easily and yet rarely notice mirrors. The breeds also vary widely in intelligence and behavioral tendencies.

Many people in this thread seem to have themselves confused with their dogs here.

I'm convinced this has something to do with the legacy of ancient Rome.

>quoting entire paragraphs

That's neat. What breed is she?

That's actually kind of impressive.

Also there is a reason we train dogs, not only are they easily trainable, which implies a certain degree of learning ability, thus they must be kinda smart.

It is True However that some dogs are retarded, and others seem like geniuses.

top kek

My doggo was intelligent. He learned the names of different rooms by just listening to me and my family talking. Blew my mind when I got fed up with his barking, told him to go to the bedroom and he did it.

this thread is actually about dogs tho,
not nogs

I frequently have intellectual discussions with my dog on the works of Kant and the nature of truth.

When was the last time a dog passed judgement on you to make it feel better about itself?

>She had them evenly spaced in order of ascending height.
Really? No way...

>'gyroscope'
>she tilts her head
Sounds like she understands it fine

The mirror test seems like a shallow evaluation of self-identification; it only tests visual identification.

What would be the equivalent measure for other senses?

I'm sure a dog would be able to recognize it's own scent.

Hell, they use scent to claim property: quite an abstract concept.

Are blind people dumb because they can't see themselves in a mirror?

Jesus Christ, how the fuck that cylindrical dog can store so much piss?

Pigs are smarter than dogs

But goats are smarter than both

*shits on your intelligence*

More stories of smart dogs please, it's interesting af

I have two dogs, onde small female Poodle (surprisingly it's stupid af) and a male German Shepherd that's noticeably smarter, but not a genious.

I wish I had more time to play with him, he stays alone out of the house, poor thing.

He understands a few commands like most dogs do, like "let's walk" or "go to your house". I feel that if I had time to push his abilities further, he would become a good hunter.

I once had an axolotl that would spin around when you spun your finger in front of the glass. He had no training at all. He's dead now.

He probably trying to catch the roaches that swarm all over your toothbrush when nobody's around.

This is bullshit. No dog ever pisses that much. Thats some fuckhead spraying water behind the dog.

Unfortunately our dogger is not very smart.
She can't learn new tricks anymore and only loves the one family member who doesn't really care about her. It's kinda sad. She reminds me of those women who like the bad guys, but those dudes will never love them.

So basically: she is emotionally and rationally dumb. Still, we love her very much.

To say something positive about her - she loves the other family members, too, but not with a god-like devotion. I mean we are obviously important to her. Sometimes she just comes in, licks everyone's ankles then she goes away. It's like saying "Hi!" to everyone. Yeah, she is dumb but she is also good hearted.

Kek.

My old cat(sadly deceased) was obsessed with the bubbles the bottle feed water bowl made when I changed it.

He would go to great effort to spy on me and watch ever thing I did when changing the water and then spend the net ten minutes with his face to the bottle studying the bubbles of air.

He never drank it while studying.

top post lad