What do you think of people who read Infinite Jest in public?

What do you think of people who read Infinite Jest in public?

I think they're probably trying to get some reading done and you just wish people recognized you the way you recognize them. Get over it.

Speaking as someone currently in the middle of infinite jest, I sometimes read it in coffee shops or my local library branch or when I'm at the laundromat just to get out of the house. I have a really small living setup and I don't think the potential appearance of pretension should stop me from trying to finish any book, no matter what it is

I don't get it. The book is heavy, why would you carry it everywhere?

this. itll take me 5 years if i dont read it anywhere i can.

How weak are you?

No discernible talent.

t. turgid old jew with turgid prose

This. People read many books, including Infinite Jest on their break or on public transport to use the time better, not for hipster intellectual points.

I think that they should use a book cover desu. Some books are kind of goofy to read openly, and I think this is one such book.

Yeah it would be much more fashionable to be reading any other 1000 page book in public

I read IJ in public. If I didn't, I would never have finished. Much better way to pass the time on public transport than staring into a screen. Some odd looks but it's like come on, I'm not trying to show off. Some people made the mistake of asking me what it was about. I just gave them one word fake answers so they'd leave me alone e.g. 'tennis' 'entertainment' 'maps' 'American culture' 'addiction'

everyone who has read infinite jest has no hesitation telling it to everyone they meet

i remember this guy my ex worked with kept talking about how great infinite jest was with her .. then her best friends mormon boyfriend kept pretending he read infinite jest

let's be honest nobody had ever read infinite jest so just stop

wait i'm not done

my ex doesn't even read either they're like those autistic spergs in middle school who would ask you if you saw last nights episode of family guy and you would say no and then they would proceed to explain to you everything unfunny that happened in an even more unfunny way

if u read infinite jest u should just off yourself

>boohoo i got cucked by a guy who read infinite jest so i hate it! and you should too! boo hoo!

I think that while there are better things they could be reading there are also much shittier ones.

I already asked this question in another thread and got no answer, I guess it's more adequate here : what's all the hype about this book ? I never heard about it outside of Veeky Forums, but I see it's pretty big in the US. So what ? Is it overrated ? Why isn't it good - or is it ?

Not trying to be a smart-ass but I wholly encourage reading it and deciding for yourself.

The hype is mostly a meme. It left a big impression on some people because of its "relatable" self-helpy/"humanist" themes and how "imposing" it seems to those unfamiliar with more dense literature due to its length, somewhat atypical structure, and endnote gimmick.

I think they should do it half naked, if only they are ,cute enough, lascively sprawled all around in the public transportation system, and in the parks

people actually talk to eachother in the public? what the fuck? why'd anyone bother strangers?
america is truly a weird place

they also clap their hands at movies in theater

>What do you think of people who read Infinite Jest

I think they drink their own doody.