Why do so many people religiously believe in science and think it can do everything given enough time?

Why do so many people religiously believe in science and think it can do everything given enough time?

And if you tell them that there are limitations and what they are talking about is impossible or extremely unlikely, they go crazy and say "They laughed at the Wright brothers also" , "They said the moon landing was impossible also" etc.

Is it just bad education?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientism
saidsimon.wordpress.com/2014/06/27/scientism-and-its-problems/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

popsci and scifi

Obviously because that's what all us scientists here have conditioned them to believe OP, so we can get everlasting funding.

What are that limitations?

so much this

the laws of physics? diminishing returns? idealized limits rigorously established by mathematics?
Did you even think about your fucking post before you made it?

You could have been more polite, bro.
Just wanted it to be clear. Also, would like to learn more about idealized limits.

>god is real

do you realise that our current understanding of the universe itself is thin and barely 100% accurate?

>Our scientific understanding is incomplete, therefore we should abandon all efforts to improve our understanding and instead focus all of our attention to the magic sky man that primitive goat herders used to worship, because they knew more than us

>religiously believe in science

talking shit about our "current understanding" of the universe is an indicator that you have no idea what you're talking about. as if some enormous paradigm shift is going to lead to breakthroughs in engineering.

Primitive humanity had shit technology because they didn't know what the universe was made of. They made up garbage theories with no predictive power. We've got pictures of atoms, dipshit. We know how this shit works. We've explored the limitations of what we can do with atoms with mathematics. Now it's an engineering problem or an economics problem. One day you'll be able to buy a metric ton of graphene for a dollar and the battery in your cell phone will be a few micro-farads short of being considered a dangerous weapon, but there's not much improvement to be had once we've reached that stage. Science doesn't will objects into existence, it rearranges the parts of the universe that have always been here. There's going to reach a point where you've got the lightest, strongest materials and you're able to manufacture them at basically no cost. And you'll say: "if only there was something better than carbon". But that something isn't fucking real. Might as well try to pray technology into existence, you fucking cargo cultist.

As the kids would say, REKT!

obv wrong, but most people (especially pop sci tards) don't even seem to know about the fact that our scientific understanding is incomplete.

yo the speed of light is just another barrier, like airplanes or submarines

Haha. They laughed at the wright brothers for trying to make planes also and look at what we have today

>science is a religion

We literally don't know why ice is slippery.

You're retarded. It's the molten fluid boundary layer. Any friction that does occur causes the microscopic rough spots to melt away and lubricate the ice.

Literally everything we even begin to understand makes up less than 4% of the universe.

Even assuming we've got what we know down pat - and we don't - there's still the other 96% left.

There are also other fundamental problems that we can envision requiring centuries still to come to understand, like how subjective experience comes to exist. As often as people on Veeky Forums like to outright deny the existence of subjective experience, something interesting is going on there that we don't even understand how to begin approaching.

Science is a religion, or it is often treated as one, often unconsciously, by those within it and outside it.

Go do some deep, long thinking about what a religion actually is and then come back to the discussion.

that's not even a counterargument to my post. You're just asserting that "WE DUN KNOW ERRYTHING YET, THEREFORE THINGS THAT WE CURRENTLY THINK ARE IMPOSSIBLE MIGHT BE POSSIBLE."
Listen, faggot. I know you're one of those people who invokes the discovery of Earth's curvature, the Wright brothers and the Apollo missions whenever someone disagrees with your futurist bullshit. But listen:
The people who said "the Earth is flat"? They never measured anything. The people who said "heavier-than-air aircraft are impossible"? They never did any math. The people who said "humanity will never walk on the moon"? They were a doomsday cult of religious fundamentalists living under the nuclear sword of Damocles; and they never learned physics. The naysayers of the past spoke from a position of ignorance, not knowledge. Those who were knowledgeable put pen to pad and built shit. Now the tables have turned. The naysayers say "NAY!" because there's bodies of research investigating what the ULTIMATE LIMITS of physics are, and therefore the ULTIMATE LIMITS of what we can build in the universe. The knowledgeable avoid wasting their time with garbage like overunity and cold fusion because it's IMPOSSIBLE, not because "durr i dun know how to do it yet". The knowledgeable are naysayers. You? You're a fucking ignoramus hoping that the magic science wizards will fix all your problems, despite not knowing how ANYTHING works, or even what the circumstances of the past were. You're a cargo cultist through and through.

Dude, I'm not even one of the idiots saying "BUT MAYBE". I'm just saying there's a whole lot of interesting stuff left that we don't understand, a lot of which may change what we currently, perhaps somewhat unconsciously, assume is currently impossible.

>I'm not even one of the idiots saying "BUT MAYBE"
>"BUT DUDE MAYBE LMAO"

If we don't have faith (lmao), if we don't believe we can make progress, naturally we're gonna stop trying and we won't get any further. We may not be able to understand everything but there's still plenty left to figure out. I don't always call people retarded on the internet but you're retarded. Idk what retard you were talking to who may have said something like time travel to the past but not everyone is as dumb as that guy

This en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientism

That's what I thought too but I've heard it's being called into question. They don't have a good explanation for why the contact surface is liquid. Friction and pressure don't raise the temperature by enough to explain it.

L0Lno fgt pls

So what I'm getting out of this is that instead of using our current evidence to give a tentative hypothesis on the nature of the universe and the constraints we work under based on our current understanding and recognizing all of these things are tentative we should put faith in the idea that these limits are absolute? That's literally the exact opposite of what you do in science, you say "based on our current understanding this is impossible using these methods" not "This is impossible" because the first is correct but the second implies you understand the system perfectly enough to know there is no way to circumnavigate it.

> "BUT MAYBE THIS THING THAT ALL CURRENT PHYSICS SAYS IS IMPOSSIBLE MAY BE POSSIBLE! JUST bEEELLEEEEB"
> "BUT DUDE MAYBE THERE IS A LOT OF INTERESTING STUFF OUT THERE WE HAVEN'T DISCOVERED YET."

One of these statements is annoying. The other drives virtually all scientific progress.

dusting this one off just for you

He said why do some people treat it religiously, not that it actually is a religion.
Because there was this huge push to draw Christians in the Western world to Apostasy and atheism around the same time there was an unrelated explosion of popular science journalism and the result is a bunch of atheists who think they've become too smart for religion but are still humans like everybody and subconsciously want to know everything's going to be okay, but organized religion is beneath them and they make technology their surrogate faith.

This thread is full of fucking idiots incapable of interpreting eachothers' meanings

>and subconsciously want to know everything's going to be okay
So god exists because everything surely must turn out okay?

fucking nig nog that's not what he meant.

>there was this huge push to draw Christians in the Western world to Apostasy and atheism

you mean when people got access to the internet and religious institutions lost their last grip over what people believe?

Educated people reject bronze age mysticism, its a direct correlation.

when in hell did i say that we should all become religious and abandon all our efforts? infact i want to increase our effort in scientific discovery all i said that our current understanding of the universe is incomplete and we have a very VERY long time for us to fully discover the universe and that if our species manages to survive

Why does nobody realize the purpose to religion beyond the bible-thumping fundamentalists that don't even understand the purpose of their own religion?

Go eat some mushrooms, get a better grip on why religion is a thing. People have been around a while, and we've figured out some ways to make existing less shitty emotionally and spiritually. If you hate the idea of religious abstraction that much approach it as a deeply well-developed folk psychology embedded in mythological narrative and take the good shit from it.

You're all too prideful. There's a lot left in religion that would do most of the world a lot of good to learn more deeply, and that includes most people who are already "religious".

>There's a lot left in religion that would do most of the world a lot of good

yeah like killing people for cleaning on Saturdays and stoning rape victims to death.
Thanks Old Testament.

Never heard of scientism?

>Never heard of scientism?
its that thing religious people came up with to make their own beliefs seem just as rational as facts.

wtf I love apophenia now

I hope for your sake this is bait.
saidsimon.wordpress.com/2014/06/27/scientism-and-its-problems/

Veeky Forums in a nut shell.

What did he mean by this?

Why are you people mocking "religiously believe in science"?
It is true.
The retards who think that science is whatever epic meme black science guy and epic science atheist man told them in TV, are actually "religiously believing in science".

No, I'm talking specifically about the Four Horseman/Catholicism scandals/normalization of mocking Christianity from the 90's to 2000's.

No, gods are representative of the HOPE that things will turn out okay

Still not as bad as religiously believing in religion.

OP here, and I have no idea what these guys are trying to tell me.

can you give us an example?

How much you want to bet this same guy has unironically said "assalamu alaikum" to a person in real life?

go on IFL sometime; they're everywhere

This thread made me make this

*IFL science

anumalfc

>science
>believe
Well, we know you're a moron.

So you don't believe that an object at rest stays at rest?

swing and a miss

>If you hate the idea of religious abstraction that much approach it as a deeply well-developed folk psychology embedded in mythological narrative and take the good shit from it.
If it was that easy why not just dispose of the religious abstraction completely? A God-free society would be a much better one

you don't believe in proof?

It's what the brainlets do when they don't study it.

Because many people have no sense of what actual science is. To them, it's just magic, but with equations, machines and smart people in lab coats. I'm completely serious, the general public has no idea that real science is trying to falsify a hypothesis and that's all it is.

As for the memelords on this board, they all think this because they're 18-19 year old frosh engineering majors or computer science majors. They hardly know what constitutes a mathematical proof, or even the faintest idea of rigorous experimental methodology, let alone picked up a book on the philosophy of science.

Don't waste your time

He wasn't talking about himself

Science should restrict to engineering imo. I don't care about the universe being a basinga years old or about some distant pulsar, if you do that's fine but please don't ask me for money. What I do care about is functioning bridges, buildings, safe transportation, electricity, water, medical tech.

Same reason why most people are religious at all: they're either stupid or the type of people that need the meaning in their lives to be absolute.

Lookup the flyby anomaly.
When we can't explain why objects, orbiting at nice non relativistic velocities, defy relativity we are a long way off from having mapped all that is possible.