What makes this book so revered?

What makes this book so revered?

It's French and it's a book about cucking. What more could you ask for?

Nabokov said it heightened the artistic merit of prose to poetry

There's better books about cucking though. Like Anna Karenina or 90% of the side stories in Don Quixote.

bump

its massive influence

his other stuff is better though MB is an anglo meme

>this book
>Anna Karenina
>Ulysses
>the Canterbury tales
>most of Shakespeare's plays
Why is so much literature about cuckoldry?

because writers are cucks, take it from me

Flaubert = sarcasm towards romantic delusions. it's all about writing style.

Fuck off.

Ok cuck

>my reading comprehension is limited to buzzwords

Kill yourself immediately.

You sound perturbed, honey

You are so fucking stupid.

Yep, definitely perturbed
You shouldn't take posts on an ijaw oil-ciphoning forum so seriously

Appeal to futility fallacy.

Moron.

>tfw you point out someone has made a logical fallacy

the first book to have an objective narrator.

the narrator is never like "and that, my dear reader..." i think every author until that point addressed the reader in some way

he loved AK too. he just likes cunts who die.

fuck off idiot

The prose is gorgeous and Flaubert was like fifty years ahead of his time. You really a need a historical understanding of the progression of literature (at least, the popular interpretation of that progression) to really gauge his impact. Try reading like Moll Flanders or some hyper-sketchy realist garbage, jump forward to give Joyce a whirl, and then come back to Flaubert to see how he's just about the best middle ground we can get.

Why is it called realism? Because of the innecessary descriptions of what the characters are wearing?

>inb4 women are whores

You can wikipedia this kind of shit. You really can.

it was middle class and realist when when realist depictions of the middle class were in fashion

Long established as one of the greatest novels, the book has been described as a "perfect" work of fiction. Henry James wrote: "Madame Bovary has a perfection that not only stamps it, but that makes it stand almost alone: it holds itself with such a supreme unapproachable assurance as both excites and defies judgment."[11] Marcel Proust praised the "grammatical purity" of Flaubert's style, while Vladimir Nabokov said that "stylistically it is prose doing what poetry is supposed to do".[12] Similarly, in his preface to his novel The Joke, Milan Kundera wrote, "[N]ot until the work of Flaubert did prose lose the stigma of aesthetic inferiority. Ever since Madame Bovary, the art of the novel has been considered equal to the art of poetry."[13] Giorgio de Chirico said that in his opinion "from the narrative point of view, the most perfect book is Madame Bovary by Flaubert"

With this book Flaubert basically invented a new style of prose.

No more flitter-flutter, he deliberately avoided assonance; he wanted to take away all notions of romanticism and that includes the flowery language and themes.

Madame Bovary is a reaction to the sordid romantic writing of the day, well past its used-by date.

His style of writing is so influential you wouldn't even be able to tell its unique qualities, because essentially every prose writer after him was impacted by it.

What is a cuck?
I'm asking seriously.

A buzzword /pol/ uses for when a woman takes advantage of a man romantically and/or emotionally and/or materially

First time i encountered cuck in literature was reading a napoleon biography.

checkmate.

Nothing really.

Not OP, these are great points, but beside wondering if any of this remains reading a translation, I have to ask, what is the purpose of reading the plot and or pieces of it in a high school french class?

How are the students going to get any of this with the language barrier? Also because the teacher will never dwell on the progress that Flaubert made compared to his contemporaries.

A good translator can still provide the aesthetic of his prose

Jesus fucking christ. Can it get any worse than /pol/? It's such a big shitstain.

They ruin discussions with buzzwords

calm down sweety

don't forget
>Elective Affinities
>Scarlet Letter
>Gulliver's Travels (see the Laputa section)

La Princesse de Cleves
Les Liasons Dangereuses
David Golder
The Awakening
The Odyssey
Wuthering Heights

Hey

no believe me the beauty translates wonderfully in English

Lydia Davis translation. The introduction is nice