Simply put, /a/ is too stupid for evangelion

Can we discuss about it here?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ZFIn708ssFg?t=38
scribd.com/document/114800027/The-Importance-of-Psychoanalysis-Freud-s-Oedipus-Complex-and-the-Return-to-the-Womb-in-Neon-Genesis-Evangelion
youtube.com/watch?v=KjLA5S-eA5Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>/a/ memes on eva constantly for being pseud waifubait
>they're just too stupid to talk about it
Anno made it up as he went along, that's why he needed a video game to stitch the plot together. It's all atmosphere, no substance, basically anime Lost.

So you mean to tell me that, the introduction of asuka in episode 8, wasn't intentional and planned beforehand?
I don't believe this.

>discussing pseudointellectual 2deep4u chinese cartoons

fuck off pleb anime is for low IQ shitlords

You are generalizing. Of course, the vast majority of anime is bad. You can't deny that evangelion is one of the rare exceptions in the medium.

I mean to tell you that Gendo crossing his hands and making cryptic comments about the Dead Sea Scrolls wasn't meant to symbolize anything. There were a few breadcrumbs dropped for plot events, sure, but that doesn't make it deep or intellectual.

Honneamise, though, that was worth talking about.

Evangelion is not one of the rare exceptions in the medium.

No. Evangelion is quintessential "muh feels" bullshit for pseuds.

youtu.be/ZFIn708ssFg?t=38

>this is the top post on Veeky Forums
>the thread about that autistic STEMlord article that generated actual discussion got deleted

What were Yuis intentions? What's the difference between gendos goal and seeles? Didn't they literally want the same thing?

Well it sounds like Veeky Forums is also too stupid to discuss Eva so I guess you're fresh out of luck son. If I were you I'd honestly head over to evageeks and read some of the essays.

FWIW. the show is mostly all about personal memoir filtered through a post-modern lens with deeper elements of Freudian psychoanalysis and some minor elements of philosophy (Schopenhaeur, Kierkegaard, Hegel, Nietzsche) thrown into the mix.

Been ages since I've seen it tho tbqh.

You know why evangelion is bad? The root of the whole setting is that both Eggs happeend to land one earth, just because. This ''Just because'' doesn't sit well with me.
>''The ancient aliens maybe wanted to test who would prevail if both landed on the same planet?!?''
This is even worse if that's the case.

>personal memoir filtered through a post-modern lens
Can you go into detail?
>deeper elements of Freudian psychoanalysis
I don't see any Freudian elemnt in evangelion. Can you provide me with one example? Is it about Rei being Yuis clone or something?

>I don't see any Freudian elemnt in evangelion.
You can't be this stupid.

Depends on what you define as freudian.

>Veeky Forums is too stupid to discuss my pseud cartoons with highschool-tier armchair philosophy

I mean, asuka isn't just Lust.

>Can you go into detail?

I can't remember much about Anno but its well-known that he suffered from depression throughout a large part of his life. One of the less controversial readings of EVA is that its a confession of his own desire to start living again. He frames himself as part-Shinji and part-Asuka, using their behaviour to reflect himself. By doing so he uses the conventions of action anime to deconstruct it.

>I don't see any Freudian element in evangelion. Can you provide me with one example? Is it about Rei being Yuis clone or something?

Yeah kind of. One of the more symbolic ideas behind the EVA units is that they function by housing of the souls of the mothers of Shinji and Asuka. The EVA-units are thus a symbolic vessel in which each pilot returns to the womb simply by being in them. This is a concept central to Freud in that behaviour (especially negative behavious which EVA is chocked full of) is predicated on an unconscious desire to return to the sanctuary of the womb.

Also this exact topic is mentioned in much more detail here: scribd.com/document/114800027/The-Importance-of-Psychoanalysis-Freud-s-Oedipus-Complex-and-the-Return-to-the-Womb-in-Neon-Genesis-Evangelion

The anime though heavily implies that, the only reason(s) why said souls are inside the eva units is because of the synch ratio. That's the reason why shinjis was at 50 without the plugsuit and or any training beforehand.
Why the mother's souls though? I think it's too far-fetched.
Thanks, reading it right now.

>I don't see any Freudian elemnt in evangelion.

Shinji hates his pops and would totally have sex with Misato.

I don't think that shinji views misato as a mother figure.

>anime
>intelligent

top tier bantz fampai

I viewed Misato as a mother figure.

Why? Does she have common traits with your mom?

The EVAs are inflicted with the spirits of their mothers. They quite literally crawl back into the womb and they particularly emphasize it with Asuka's monologue in End of Evangelion.

>Why? Does she have common traits with your mom?

I haven't watched evangalion in close to a decade but yeah, the scenes where Misato was drinking beer around the apartment and taking baths really reminded me of my mom, who I lived alone with for a while.

No offense but that's kinda hot.
Did she also walk around in hear underwear and all? Did you do the cooking?

>The anime though heavily implies that, the only reason(s) why said souls are inside the eva units is because of the synch ratio. That's the reason why shinjis was at 50 without the plugsuit and or any training beforehand. Why the mother's souls though? I think it's too far-fetched.

I think you're reading it too literally. It's more of a metaphor - a lot of EVA is.

Simply put, Anno runs with the Freudian approach as a way of making sense that the mother's soul is supposed to represent the 'thing' Shinji is missing (ie a happier life). He feels unable to be loved because his Mother died at a young age and his father doesn't care for him. His choice to accept becoming an EVA pilot represents that behaviour, otherwise seen as constantly brooding and angsty except, importantly, when he's in the EVA unit. Asuka is exactly the same.

Forget about synch ratios or whatever terminology the show uses. It's supposed to represent nothing more complex than human-behaviour. Anno uses Freudian metaphors to explain it all (or to just look cool, who knows with him).

I guess you have to understand that EVA comes from a long line of post-modern fiction and shouldn't be taken too literally.

Read Foucault's Pendulum by Eco. It describes the Evangelion effect perfectly.

>relatively knowledgeable japs create cartoon
>drop historical and metaphysically obscure references in both art and dialogue
>fail to connect the dots
>publish to the delight of pseuds who gobble it up and try to see the water in an empty bucket for decades.

See "faux symbolism"

None taken, it's totally hot. I wanted to bang Misato when I was growing up. I never got why Asuka and Rei were considered waifu material. Misato has maturity, like an aged cheese.

Mom and I split the cooking and though I don't fantasize about my mom specifically, I have a thing for older women and I am not on good terms with my old man. So maybe Sophocles was on to something.

>Did she also walk around in hear underwear and all?

forgot to answer this, but she would check her breasts for cancerous lumps sometimes while we watched tv

Rei pilots the EVA because of sence of obligation. Shinji pilots the EVA because he must and people had to convince him the whole time to do so. Asuka pilots the EVA for her self, she wants to pilot it. She wants to prove her worth. So i don't think that asuka is exactly the same. She doesn't even bitch about her dead parents.

Just finished that book a month ago, never thought of that comparison but it's pretty good senpai.

I know about this effect without having read anything about it. It's common sense if you ask me.
you see that in every medium. Take those ''deep'' bands l8ike, lets say tool for example. Nothing the say have any depth, but the fans dig it up and look for depth in places where there clearly is nothing. Yet they still come up with something.

Now, evangelion doesn't do that. It's true that anno didn't help the viewer at all with the plot because he didn't explain anything, this means though that there is something, and it's not just theories and or speculation.

Eva has a sublime affect on weebs though. Does connecting the dots really matter when the end result still moves? I mean whoever said holding up to critical analysis was necessary for the sublime? I think the critique is mismatched here. It's finding a fight where there never was one.

>Asuka pilots the EVA for her self, she wants to pilot it. She wants to prove her worth. So i don't think that asuka is exactly the same. She doesn't even bitch about her dead parents.

Well, she bottles it all in until she goes crazy and finds herself lying in the bathtub because of the memories she's repressed. It's in one of the latter episodes.

I guess it's worth asking why she would want to prove her worth? What drives somebody to do that? I think it's because she knew deep down that mother didn't love her and she desperately wanted to find something to feel good about. Like people who throw themselves into their work, while neglecting everything else in life. That's the type of person Anno reflected in her creation.

Do you know much about Freudian psychoanalysis? At its core, it's about unconscious desires and memories that we can't access but which guide all of our behaviour.

MODS HOW IS FUCKING ANIME Veeky Forums RELATED

We're discussing Freud.

That was a good read, thanks.

Oh the bathtub scene. Forgot about that one. Probably have to re-watch it soon.

Her top priority was indeed piloting the EVA unit, but i don't feel that she had neglected anything else in life to the extreme.
Why did she get depressed in the first place? Because of the memories she's repressed?
>What drives somebody to do that?
Well she likes attention and she has the Do it yourself attitude. But of course, most of us, if not all, want to make our parents proud, even if subconsciously.
The only time i ''studied'' Freud, i learned the basics of ''Id, ego and super-ego'' So i basically no nothing about his psychoanalysis besides that and the memes from Veeky Forums.

You probably noticed but i am not smart, i don't understand much about psychoanalysis if it's not explained to me in simple english.

know*
Goddamnit

>I don't think that shinji views misato as a mother figure.

I found a decent video that considers the misato partially as a mother figure

youtube.com/watch?v=KjLA5S-eA5Y

>that thumbnail
Is evangelion worth watching?

I read 'anime Lost' as a cute way of way saying 'the Paradise Lost of anime'. Which would also be more accurate.

>But it all ended too soon for Yui; asshe conducted an experiment on the Eva Unit-01 something went wrong and she wasabsorbed into the Eva, prompting her death, of which Shinji was a witness.

>Implying this wasnt what Yui intended to do

>can we discuss about it
Fucking Brazilians

Something strange happened to me and I would like to hear an opinion from someone who knows psychoanalysis more than I do.
I started to talk to someone I just met about Evangelion and it ended up with us constantly giving each other attention over a period of two days. We talked a lot about life and all the complicated things no one normally wants to say or listen to. It was all very open emotionally, like we've known each other for years and not for 2 days, but the more we talked the more she started to turn into Asuka. I wanted to stay in touch despite of it, and she answered with something in the line of, "Goodbye forever, see you again."
What was that all about and should I just forget about it?

What. She cute?

Is this pasta?

I feel that when you take out all the references to the occult and fringe mysticism, Evangelion loses most of its appeal.

I mean if you read Illuminatus before watching Eva, Eva becomes just a story about a pathetic guy. It loses all the glamour that dealing with unknown mystic traditions brings.

lol, yeah it's still worth watching as far as chinese cartoons go.

''Allthese images and metaphors are nothing more than representations of the OedipusComplex in a visual way, but we can also see the thought that this complex may havemore to do with a return to the womb than with a sexual aspect, though the sexualaspect is still present.''

damn..................

it's a show for like, 13 year olds

Just finished the first episode. Dude, the camera tricks and direction in general. This is top notch. And this was made in 1995?
Fuck me i think i like cartoons.

evangelion depth is artificial
the author just mixed up different things he couldn't grasp very well and that would feel "complex"

ignoring this fat mess its just an anime about giant bio-robots and an insufferable protagonist

Have you never seen chinese cartoons before? Watch Ghost in the Shell and Akira when you want a movies.

No, don't see the appeal.

>wasn't meant
But it ended up symbolizing something so what's your pointV

I like to call it honey mayonnaise.

Compelling.

''From the beginning there is an underlying
sexual tension between the two which stems from Misato‟s constant flirting with Shinji.
She seems to know no other way to relate to males, other than in a sexual way, so thatis what she attempts to do with Shinji while completely disregarding that he is just ayoung boy. On the other hand, though undoubtedly sexually attracted to the beautiful Misato, Shinji seems to regard her in a very motherly way; picturing her as an innocent
and caring person.''

Fuck this, i'm watching evangelion. I'm never disappointed when i let my dick decide.

I don't know. It was on the internet.

No. Everything is written as it happened, or as I chose to remember it.

Similar thing happened to me.

When you say Asuka, what exactly do you mean?

Very passionate and open about her feelings, but also self-destructive, lost and untouchable. A loner that pretends to be an extrovert to confuse people.

Great read Lad, cheers.

No offense, but are you underage by any means? You seem to have a very romanticized view of destructive behavior and I really hope that you're just very young.

His point is that NGE is like the donnie darko of anime. Sure there's symbolism and metaphors throw in, but it doesn't give any sort of deeper insight into anything. The series and movies touch on various philosophical issues (like the Matrix does), but doesn't go deep enough with any of them to provide literature value. It's just to create a sort of sci fi mythos. The story itself is simple; a boy's maturation into adulthood. It's a pretty cool anime though.

You could have just said fag. No need to put so many long words into an insult, life isn't Monkey Island.

Matrix has a lot of potential to go deep. But it never got a sequel.

It was supposed to be legitimate criticism, wow you sure are a whiny edgelord.

Good to see someone else is on their third pill.

>anime
>vidya reference
If you're over 20 kys yourself.

By Black Morgan's beard, what a bourgeoise twat.

This is a misuse of 'by any means'. You're looking for 'by any chance'.