Advice on languages

What is the best language to learn from a literary point of view? A language that has fantastic literature that has not, or can not be translated into English.

Latin, Greek, mandarin, I'm up for anything. Keep in mind that my native language (in which my proficiency is worse than in English) uses the nastalikh script: the script in which Farsi and Arabic are written. So those would be slightly easier to learn. (I speak Urdu)

Other urls found in this thread:

foreignlanguageexpertise.com/polyliteracy.html
amazon.com/Learning-Greek-Plato-Beginners-Classical/dp/1904675565/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486350532&sr=8-1&keywords=learning greek with plato
amazon.com/Ancient-Greek-Teach-Yourself-Publishing/dp/0844237868/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1486350911&sr=1-1&keywords=Teach Yourself Ancient Greek
amazon.com/Introduction-Attic-Greek-Donald-Mastronarde/dp/0520078446/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1486351026&sr=1-2&keywords=mastronarde greek
amazon.com/Plutarch-Questions-Parallel-Stories-Classical/dp/0674993365/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1486351042&sr=1-1&keywords=loeb greek parallel
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Everything is translated into English

Latin
French
Russian
German
Japanese

True. But a lot is left out when translated.

german or french

French, Spanish, Russian, German

Dead languages if you're autistic.

French
German
Italian
Latin
Greek
Spanish
Russian is a meme. Don't learn Russian.

>Italian
>Russian is a meme
Why give advice if you're mentally deficient?

I think I'll do Latin. No, I'm not autistic, I'm a medical student, and understanding all of that Latin terminology would definitely make things easier.

Can fluency in Latin make learning the romance languages easier?

Russian lit only has a few novelists/short story writers, which are translated. Italian has Dante.

>I speak Urdu
POO

Are there any good books in Urdu? My dad speaks it.

Dante is also translated. Your point, dumbass?

I think it's Sanskrit you're thinking of. Urdu is arabized poo

>Why give advice if you're mentally deficient?

Dante is one of the greatest poets of all time.

Russian is a lot of work to just read a few meme novels.
Urdu is spoken in Pakistan and is linguistically identical to Hindi

Pushkin is one of the greatest poets of all time.
Your point, dumbass?

Puskin is not in any way on the same level as Dante.

I haven't read much of Urdu literature, but it's a recent language, so the literature isn't developed.

The contemporary novels I've read are absolute crap. There's some seriously good philosophical work and poetry from poets like Iqbal, ghalib, but its difficult stuff even for native speakers, and it requires passable fluency in Farsi and Arabic.

>a few meme novels
I'm 14 and read Tolstoyevsky the Post.

How do you know that. Because he didn't write pretentious bible fanfiction like Dante?

Unironically, Japanese.
However you feel about Japanese prose (I personally enjoy it) being able to read haiku is amazing on its own. Haiku just can't be translated properly.

Yeah that's what I meant. It's poo with an Arab gloss.

>Dante
>pretentious bible fanfiction
butthurt slav detected

WEEEEEEB

Weeb go away

Russian literature:
>Gogol
>Tolstoy
>Dosto
>Chekhov
>Turgenev
Aside from the poets, you can read all of these in translation and lose nothing.

Should you be more worried about not getting blown by some allahakbar?

Italian literature:
>Dante
>Umberto Eahahahahahaha

Nah, I live in a pretty safe area. Relatively secular too.

>Dante
>Guido Cavalcanti
Both are some of the greatest poets of all time and both cannot be translated.

As a Russian, this is bullshit. Dostoevsky, for example is another experience in the original.

OT: It depends on what you're looking for. Theology? Philosophy?

Italian is basically latin for uneducated peasants, sure they can

Is non European language any good from a literary point of view?

Chinese
Japanese
Persian
Arabic

>missing about a dozen of great authors
>dismissing one of the greatest poetry traditions
>implying you have a working knowledge of Russian language to assess the quality of translations
Fug off, Dantefag. Russian is much harder than Italian to learn - that's the only valid point. Arguing that Dante+Calvino+Umberto Meme is somehow a more impressive body of works than Russian or Spanish is a sign of terminal autism.

>Russian poetry
>great tradition
Dante and Cavalcanti are among the greatest of all time, and Boccaccio is great too. Russian should be learned last, their tradition has only existed for 200 years and their novels are overrated

>tfw no Portuguese
Camoes, pessoa. And many others... Portuguese is a rich language

>produced more great poets and authors in 200 years than Italy has in a millennium
Good point.

Quality > quantity

Damn that guy really played himself didn't he

>Pushkin and Lermontov are among the greatest of all time, and Yesenin is great too. Italian should e learned last, their tradition died 600 years ago and their novels are overrated

oh come on, Dante is great but I liked the overcoat much more than the divine comedy

>Pushkin
>Lermontov
>greatest of all time
Classic example of sort-of decent authors being overrated because they wrote in a shit-tier language
You read it in translation, cuck

>Classic example of shit-tier pleb dismissing the greatest because he can't into their language.

Stop turning op's post into a Russia Vs Italy shitfest you idiots.

I recommend Hebrew because speaking it might save you from our jewlord wrath

It's very hard to choose a language. You might as well go with several. If you want to learn Latin, then go for it. Just don't stop there. Learn French, German, Russian, Italian, Spanish or even Ancient Greek if you are up for the challenge.

If you go for Latin then I advice you to become fluent in it and go through a lot of literature. There's no point in learning some grammar and vocabulary only to read Familia Romana. Also good way to get started with romance languages if you only speak Urdu and English.

foreignlanguageexpertise.com/polyliteracy.html

read dat, german french living

greek latin dead

DOYYYYYYYYYYY

but also learn like persian too, don't limit yourself only to western languages.

I don't think I have enough memory to know that many languages

German
Russian
Latin/Italian
French
Spanish

you don't really run out of memory senpai

I don't think I have enough time to practice that many languages to be able to retain them

Well, realistically speaking, learning all those languages and becoming fluent in them looks like a 15-20 year project. Oh well, better late than never.

Does anyone here actually know Ancient Greek? How did you learn it?

learning languages isnt hard

1) be interested
1a) understand that there are people that enjoy learning languages; understand that is possible and attempt to enjoy the process
2) do it every day
3) do it for months
4) review what you learn

just put a lot of hours in with the language and you will inevitably make progress. i always try and give advice in these threads to people who think learning multiple languages is some insane task when its not, and you can indeed get good grounding in a language in a matter of months, but no one ever listens to me, so i've kept this post brief.

do a lot of reading in the language, do it every day, spaced out throughout the day if possible. review is the most important part of language learning, etc. the most important part is putting in the time, you can't avoid it. sit down, focus and study 1hour+ every day or stare at your wall, and it is impossible for you to not make progress.

What books/resources did you use to learn Greek?

there are many great textbooks for ancient greek.

teach yourself is a good series as a whole and their greek (as well as ancient languages as a whole) book is very superb.

then you have stuff like athenaze, but i think you'd be much more successful if you put traditional grammar study on halt and took a look at something like this: amazon.com/Learning-Greek-Plato-Beginners-Classical/dp/1904675565/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486350532&sr=8-1&keywords=learning greek with plato

the important part is is that you have interesting input, and systematic grammar study for the beginner can be off-putting. try doing reading + some grammar study on the side, to supplement your reading (mastronarde's introduction to attic greek is good for a systematic grammar).

there are also bilingual books published by loebe which are just what they sound like. they have the greek on the left side of the page and a literal translation on the right side of the page. they also have these for latin, etc.

if all else fails, you can do dictionary work. what i mean by this is, printing out some text in greek, using a dictionary (online preferably) and whenever you come across a word you don't know, right it above/below the word on the paper and read these newly inter-linear texts multiple times, and by doing this you will learn all of the words in these new texts.

but, again, the most important part is that your method interests you. there are a wealth of resources available for ancient greek, so avail yourself of them.

enjoy learning, study every day, review everything that you did the days prior after/before your study, and do this EVERY day.

resources mentioned above are

amazon.com/Learning-Greek-Plato-Beginners-Classical/dp/1904675565/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486350532&sr=8-1&keywords=learning greek with plato

amazon.com/Ancient-Greek-Teach-Yourself-Publishing/dp/0844237868/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1486350911&sr=1-1&keywords=Teach Yourself Ancient Greek

amazon.com/Introduction-Attic-Greek-Donald-Mastronarde/dp/0520078446/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1486351026&sr=1-2&keywords=mastronarde greek

example loeb parallel/bilingual text amazon.com/Plutarch-Questions-Parallel-Stories-Classical/dp/0674993365/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1486351042&sr=1-1&keywords=loeb greek parallel

Either Chinese/Japanese because they're the only non-European languages with a significant literary history (aside from perhaps India and Arabic), and their vast historical and linguistic differences make them largely untranslatable.

Or, if you're simply seeking to read the greatest literary works in their original tongue, French > German > Russian. French has the benefit of segueing quite well into Spanish and Italian.

*the languages of India, of which there are too many

i used hansen & quinn, and JACT 2nd edition

learn latin first

>learn latin first
this is a pretty typical advice but unnecessary if your interest is only in Greek and not Latin

No, it doesn't take this much. Check and answer. Of course, you don't have learn that many. From my experience, if you put the hours in it and do it every day and working only on what interests you, one year is enough for one language, give or take a couple of months.

absolutely, but that's the hard way of doing things. it's always easier to go from more recent to more ancient forms of a language.

>english speaker

I bet it's your first language

And of which only a few matter.

>What is the best language to learn from a literary point of view?
We should really ban this question desu

bump