How hard is a Math major? I know Physics and EE are considered hard, but where does math rank on the STEM list...

How hard is a Math major? I know Physics and EE are considered hard, but where does math rank on the STEM list. How far into math can one get if their i.q is 135, and what's the highest GPA they can get? 120 iq? 110? 100? etc
Why are math GPAs usually lower than other STEM majors? Is it because people apply without having any knowledge as to what higher math is?
>inb4 300k starting

How hard is a Math major?
It's trivial. The proof is left as an exercise to the reader.

I can answer this though
>Why are math GPAs usually lower than other STEM majors?
it's because math profs have a more precise grading policy and they stick to it. It is also easier to justify that grade when some brainlet starts whining about getting a low one. It's the same reason why STEM in general has lower GPAs than non-STEM.

You don't know have an IQ of 135 if you're asking this brainlet question, bud.

>mfw come here to engage in and read about science
>only threads made by burger autism teens who think they're going to be math phds because they got an A in geometry

Reminder: Veeky Forums is for discussing topics pertaining to science and mathematics, not for helping you with your homework or helping you figure out your career path.

If you want advice regarding college/university or your career path, go to /adv/ - Advice.

If you want help with your homework, go to /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests.

IQ does not matter for GPA please stop trying to push this meme. Work hard in your classes and get As.

I'm not asking for advice, if I was asking for advice I would ask if I should major in math. I'm asking how hard it is.
>t.cc student who just took calc 1
Im a bio major but after taking linear alg I saw it wasn't too hard so I was thinking of switching to math in fall.

Linear algebra for science majors is meme work compared to what math majors do. Take a proof based (read: real) math class before seriously considering switching.

Being good at cookbook DE classes and constructing orthogonal bases does not transfer over to writing creative proofs of abstract theorems. Be careful OP

why does Veeky Forums force the iq meme so hard?

I'm pretty sure if someone with an IQ of 100 trying his hardest won't outdo someone with a 140, but in the same way the 140 can be lazy. I think he's asking about potential GPA.

Math majors are pretty much as hard as you want them to be. After the prereqs (calc and lin alg) the core courses are typically a semester of real analysis, differential equations, algebra, and maybe topology. After that it's usually elective focused, and there are a lot of easy courses math majors can take like probability, numerical methods, and actuarial courses that pretty much anyone can get passing grades in. On the other hand, a lot of departments let students take graduate level courses, so you can also take really hard PhD level topics courses if you want.

>Why are math GPAs usually lower than other STEM majors?
There's a built-in emphasis on self-learning material to skip classes and take high level courses that students aren't mature enough for.

Geniuses can earn bad GPAs because they took the hardest courses available too early. Average people who did well in subjects like calculus can probably get close to a 4.0 if they only take the easiest courses.

>It's trivial. The proof is left as an exercise to the reader.

and when trivial means an entire page proof. really fun

>guys i took lower level linear algebra and diff eq and it was so easy
>math as a whole is so easy

why do all engineers say the same thing. math doesnt start until real analysis

>just one page
sounds pretty trivial to me

>How far into math can one get if their i.q is 135, and what's the highest GPA they can get? 120 iq? 110? 100? etc
Yes well you see OP with your IQ there is a 76% chance you will achieve a 3.9 GPA, and 97% chance of achieving at least a 3.6 GPA.

You're a fucking retard. Honestly, what kind of answer do you expect?

>what kind of answer
Aren't there charts that show iq and gpa correlation by major? That's what I'm asking for, I couldn't find any

maybe overall in life where there is less limits? there is a limit on how well you can do with GPA though (4.0) and with enough work anyone can achieve it desu. sorry for all you that have shit grades and blame it on something else other than yourself

Undergrad is easy. Fuck, that's true of damn near every discipline in the US where university is basically high school 2.

its seventh on the STEM list

Why the fuck does this board bring up iq all the fucking time. It's actually meaningless. Like any other examination, it can be studied for. If some people study for it and others don't, the data is not standardized. Also you can be incredibly intelligent in things not tested on the iq test. Literally a nonsense way to make brainlets think they're smart. Smh

These.

What you should do is get a rigorous, proof-based text on linear algebra, like the one by shilov, and see how comfortable you can get with it. Having done a cookbook LA course will probably make it more intuitive - this is why real analysis is the standard first encounter with proofs (since the idea is to rigorously develop familiar and intuitive concepts from calculus, where there's less to worry about while coming to grips with abstraction)
It's kind of absurd how at most places you have to commit to a math major before you can get a strong sense what it's really all about. If you're considering math, it pays to get a handle on that sooner rather than later, because there's quite a disconnect between computational stuff and "actual" math, and lower division courses lure people into a false sense of security

Where I study everybody knows that Maths is the most difficult STEM degree.

Even if I had a chart that told you the median person with your IQ got a 3.2, what would that mean to you? The question is, how hard will you work to keep up? Also, as others have said, there's a pretty huge range of courses you can take. If you just want the degree, take easy cop out courses. If you want to learn, struggle your way through it.

>If you want advice regarding college/university or your career path, go to /adv/ - Advice.

This rule really needs to be changed. Veeky Forums is a completely appropriate place for that type of discussion.

It would help more than it wouldn't, if it showed 120 iq's having 3.5 GPA I would know not to switch, but if it showed 3.8 I would definitely
>If you want to learn, struggle your way through it.
I can't, I need the a high GPA, but a more interesting major because biology is just memorization and it's boring the hell outta me

t. premed

Black "person" spotted.