How does Veeky Forums feel about Moby Dick?

How does Veeky Forums feel about Moby Dick?

Other urls found in this thread:

blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2016/11/21/author-david-gilbert-chooses-moby-dick-for-wsj-book-club/#livefyre-comment
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

started it about 5 times in both book and audio form. Never get beyond 65% or so

lmao what a sick dog

pleb

it's just boring mayne

there's a whole fucking chapter describing the number of fins on different whales

There's nothing wrong with skipping the cetology chapters, friend.

I'd rather not finish a book than skip parts in it. How can you even say you "read the book"" afterwards?

Because the cetology chapters aren't integral to the actual story, friend. The only reason that they were incorporated into the novel was because, at the time of its publication, no one knew anything about whales and their anatomy, which is why Melville wrote so extensively about cetology, in order to help readers visualize whaling.

Definitely my favorite novel. It's something that affects you differently every time you read it. I've read it three times: once as a teenager, and I hated it; once, several years later, after I had read much philosophy and the Bible, and was able to appreciate it for its beauty; a third time, after my mother passed, and it made me question my own philosophy and life after every chapter.

You can just tell how much Melville struggled with his interpretation of God and free will when you read it. It's not really something you can understand unless you're religious and have experienced how unfair life can be, despite doing everything in your power to make it not so.

Yes there is, you illiterate fuck.

IDIOT

They are integral to the story. Why don't you read some analysis or use your brain buddy boy? Did you conveniently miss every metaphor or tangent Melville went on connecting the parts of the whale to a variety of other topics?

Nice post, friend. I've only read it once before, when I was not a man of God. Now that I am converting and reading the Bible and whatnot, I look forward to rereading Moby Dick, because I was unable to understand the biblical references.

This is wrong. The cetology chapters are Ishmael's way of rationalizing Moby Dick. Reread the book and try comparing his philosophy with that of the mates and Ahab.

>It's not really something you can understand unless you're religious
Cringed, honestly.

blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2016/11/21/author-david-gilbert-chooses-moby-dick-for-wsj-book-club/#livefyre-comment

That applies to a lot of things, honestly. I'm sorry you are still in your edgy teenager phase and obstinately insist on closing your mind off to some of the best and most important philosophical questions life has to offer.

Your arrogance is astounding.

Honestly my favourite novel. A thing of beauty.

Best book ever written desu

A paywalled article is literally not an argument.

Not an argument.

Just started reading. About 30 pages in. I'm really enjoying it. The writing is a bit high-strung so you have to kind of mentally prepare yourself. It's also surprisingly funny. Ishmael getting antsy about having to sleep in the same bed as Queequeg is hilarious.