Please tell me someone studies geology

Please tell me someone studies geology

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2017/05/29/us/grand-canyon-study.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

geology isnt a real science.

I have never heard of a university woth a full geology degree.

Wondet which classes do they take.
They probably have a Engineering background, since they must need to do plenty of calculations. And also some inorganic chemistry for cristaline structures and lab tests.

>move from the stone age through thousands of years of history to computers and quantum mechanics
>people still study rocks
lmao

Here.

Geologist here, disappointing to see how woefully uninformed these trashcans are:

>geology isn't a real science.

Interesting opinion, how is the study of the mechanisms and processes that govern the planet you live on not a science?

>never heard of a University 'woth' a full geology degree

Harvard, Penn State, U. of Austin-Texas, Stanford, Wisconsin-Madison, Ohio State, etc... all have full geoscience departments and degree programs. The list goes on and on. Just because you've never actually looked to see if a school has a geology department doesn't mean they don't exist.

>people still study rocks

I suppose you would enjoy building your home's foundation in an expanding clay? Or maybe you don't use fossil fuels in any way. Perhaps you like heavy metals in your tap water. You take a lot for granted, don't you?

Oh boi, this took quite the change. The best thing about geology though like marine biology, there is so much left undiscovered of this planet and on top its a science of the true nature of our planet. That's why I love it so much: Combining field work where you can see the processes in situ and lab work to understand them afterwards.

If at any point in my physics study, anything goes wrong i might switch to geology lmao

>creationist with doctorate in geology sues the grand canyon
Wait, did this actually happen?

nytimes.com/2017/05/29/us/grand-canyon-study.html
>In November 2013, Dr. Snelling [...] asked administrators of Grand Canyon National Park for permission to remove some 60 half-pound rocks from certain areas along the edges of the Colorado River
>the administrators denied his request. This month, Dr. Snelling sued them, the National Park Service and the Interior Department, claiming the denial amounted to discrimination against his religious beliefs
what kind of autism is this

I totally agree with you.

Its hard to read that article, but sadly its true...

The worst kind

BAZINGA!! Hhahaha simply EPIC user :D !

Yeah but rocks are gay

Show me your rock collection

for granite

Kek, shitters BTFO'd

Welcome, we MAGA now

>I suppose you would enjoy building your home's foundation in an expanding clay?
Civil engineers.
>Perhaps you like heavy metals in your tap water.
Analytical chemists.

Actually the civil engineers are the ones who fail to consult a geologist and build on the expanding clays/drive foundations into swamps because they don't bother to read a goddamn survey.

You think analytical chemists deal with water supplies? No, they send a hydrogeologist to collect samples, and evaluate the actual water supply. The geologist sends those samples to the analytical chemists working in a lab to determine particulates and concentrations.

Perhaps, but imagine if there were some way you could determine in advance that you might have a problem with your groundwater, without having to have people getting sick enough to warrant the chemists?

Not going to defend the clay, though. Having civil engineers create a modern day Venice on ground that can't support architecture would be pretty great.

Hydrogeologist here.

Want a comfy job, good pay, a feeling of actually contributing something positive, increasing job security, and the ability to work anywhere where water and unit conversions are a thing?

Well come on over. Or just masturbate to academia or your romanticized vision of what engineers do. Whatev works m8s.

fellow Geology student here, whats up

>be 1 out of 2 freshman geology students at uni

Nothing wrong with being a soft science.

paleofag here
just defended MS thesis
feels pic related

>ABSOLUTE MADMAN

And with the growing conservative movement in a lot of states, its only gonna be more of these people

>t. erosion

>t. erosion

WHO DELETED THE LOCAL ROCK IN GREAT MOOD TODAY IMAGE???

I liked it.

Never mind, it's back now. Thank you.

Sorry about that user. Geology is a hell of a science

what job opportunities are there for geologists, besides the obvious research positions.

How is it not

natural hazards management (keeping people safe from things like floods and landslides and avalanches)
structural geological mapping, sequence stratigraphy, seismic interpretation, and micropaleontology are all valuable to petroleum extraction
structural geo and geochemistry are important for ore mining
groundwater hydrology is super important in arid regions too

shit like that

the rising partof the conservative movement isnt paricularly religious

Current geology student here, possible future drop out.

Supposed to be going into my final year after summer but my life got fucked up.. I love my subject though ;_;

My plan was to graduate and either go into the remote sensing or mineral exploration field, maybe one day

I feel like 90% of students in my class plan to go into petroleum or geo engineering, that's where the money seems to be anyway.

how'd life get fucked up?

My girlfriend cheated on me and I spent a lot of money on weed and beer to get over her. Then my dealer robbed my apartment.

that sucks my dude, that really does. why would you drop out though?

While this story is a lot more interesting than the reality, it's not true.

Mental health issues, ended up being hospitalised, missed classes and exams.

I know that feel bro. the same thing happened to me.
I did my undergrad at a notoriously grueling uni, had to take a bunch of incompletes after I was briefly institutionalized at the end of MY third year. turns out I have an anxiety disorder?
I spent most of the next year focusing on my mental health, came back in the spring and got my last few credits. graduated with a double major (bio/geo) and a 3.0 GPA.

that was in 2013. my breakdown was over five years ago. now I'm about to graduate with my M.S. (just defended a few days ago) and in a week I go off to do my Ph.D.
what I'm saying is, don't give up. take a semester off to focus on therapy, if you have to. talk to your professors (if you haven't already) about possibly making up work to get quality grades for your incomplete classes; you're not the first of their students to have this happen. and once you can keep your shit together reasonably well, re-enroll in classes and finish what you started.
I know sometimes it feels insurmountable. I know that feeling of the piano on the chest, the intelligence suddenly leaking out of your head, the paralyzing self-doubt. but you have to fight through it.

go make it happen, young rock-licker! anonymous paleofag believes in you!

Happened to someone I know as well, but as far as I know he's going to finish out strong

entering last year as geophysics undergrad, gonna go for phd in atmospheric physics though. i've found that i like geology like a friend. i love going on hikes and seeing all the geology, but the work itself sometimes feels tedious and irrelevant.

Give me a legitimate geologic hypothesis and build a geologic experiment to test it.

>how do crystal furm?
>I tink it do liek dis
>I make crystals wif test
Wasn't that hard