Who is the Tarkovsky of literature?

Who is the Tarkovsky of literature?

A mix of László Krasznahorkai and Dostoevsky. I've never been able to find a fully satisfying answer, though, so read my novels in 20 years for the Tarkovsky of literature.

Krasznahorkai is obviously the Tarr of lit and Tarkovsky isn't melancholic in my opinion.

Hemmingway

I agree with you, he's simply the closest satisfactory answer I've found.

How is Tarkovsky not melancholic?

>Tarkovsky isn't melancholic

Have you seen Ivan's Childhood?

I feel like his approach is a lot different that what for example Tarr does with films like Damnation and A man from London. He's really religious and the fact that he makes the films is proof that he has hope.

>really religious
>has hope

Sounds like Dostoevsky to me

What about Kurosawa of literature?

Who is the Foster Wallace of literature?

Obviously Dostoevsky.

>famous Russki whose name ends in sky
How much more obvious does it have to be?

It really depends how you want to tacke the subject really... Tarkovsky achieved his art by purely atmospheric content, while the power of Dostoyevsky stands in his almost cruel eloquence.

Zerkalo is one of the most nostalgic pieces of art ever created. A true masterpiece.

Even with a mirror, a man can never truly see himself.

ps: one of the best threads i've seen in a long time

They aren't very similar in formal aspects, though, which is why I also recommended Krasznahorkai. Formally, Tarkovsky is probably even closer to Pushkin. Dostoevsky lacks the heightened poetics.

kek

Sick bars.

tao lin

bernanos

am I too dumb for Zerkalo? The images look stunning, but it feels like a very personal film, like I need to know about Tarkovsky's life to understand it.

watch his films in order. They're all worth it; a lot are masterpieces

>it's impossible to experience melancholy if you have any vestige or glimmer of hope
Sure thing, mate