I just thought of an idea that, in my personal opinion sounded like a good general idea for a book...

I just thought of an idea that, in my personal opinion sounded like a good general idea for a book. Here's the idea: A blind swordsman traveling the world in search of his family. What do you think? should I write it?

Blind swordsman sounds a little cliche-ish, but really, you should go for any idea that gets to write

Yeah I felt that it does seem somewhat of a cliche, but I wanted others opinions before I actually started to write it.

cool idea OP, going to steal this right now so you better start writing

What about leprosy causing the blindness?

Zatoichi senpai.

Write whatever gets you writing. This story sounds familiar but who cares? Just enjoy yourself.

Just write the book. Looking for other people's opinions is just an excuse to not write the book because writing puts very vulnerable parts of you out in the open for people to attack.

Just write the book if you think it's good.

Also I'm pretty sure there's an anime about this, wh ere a blind samurai teams up with a kid in a wagon or something?

It doesn't matter, every story's been written already. Just write.

Remember that Cheese Puff Came to Life and Pimped My Gay Ass is infinitely better than any book you haven't written yet.

This be cool because also no pain! He can swordfight hot pans on a stove to his hearts content.

>>Write whatever gets you writing
Why would you want him to write anything?

It's not what you write about. It's how you write about it that matters. I'd say write it.

Motherfucker Notes from Underground is about a guy who hires a prostitute and then shouts at her.

Nobody gives a shit about your plot ideas. Any one of them can be good, and any one of them can be bad. Write, and then we'll see.
Bitch Commedia is just a rehash of the underworld bits of the Aeneid, which was a rehash of the underworld bits of the Odyssea.

>every story's been written already.

Does that story serve the character or does the character serve the story?

>reading for the plot
>reading for the characters

came here to post this

Because a loose descriptor of a plot outline =/= a book.

You can take a fairly boring premise, say, Three men In A Boat, by Jerome K. Jerome, and through the magic of making it about something rather than just being a chronological document of alleged events.

This is how stories are made, d'you understand young whippersnapper?

Haha!

Here's an idea user:
The story centers around an Iraq war veteran in some east Montana Hamlet. He works as a private investigator in the town because he is no good at much else, and his mama always told him he had a knack for picking up on things. Does he actually? Maybe so, maybe no. In any case, he spends most of his time smoking a lot of pot and tracking down lost animals for the old people in town, sometimes at the same time. One day, however, there is a grisly murder, the likes of which is unprecedented in this tiny Montana village. The sheriff, who absolutely despises our protagonist, enlists his aid to solve the murder case, which curiously coincides with the appearance of a Papa Johns in the town. In the year 2030, Papa John's has automated its delivery process with robots that drive the cars, deliver the pizzas, and craft them as well. Our protagonist starts following this metallic trail of blood back to Papa Johns, unveiling a rather interesting set of conclusions. Is it possible that Papa Johns is using these robots to assassinate its own customers? How can people afford the pizza if all the jobs have been taken by automation? Does this murder conspiracy go all the way up to the immortal Papa John Schnatter himself?

>blind swordsman traveling the world in search of his family

How will he know when he's getting close? Does he shout out their names at random intervals?

Maybe they smell a certain way

So like, he travels around, he meets people, he helps them with their troubles, he discovers new things about the world, etc?

Sounds great, but only if at the end you reveal that the dude has a terrible sense of direction and he's spent the entire book within ten blocks of his house.

What time period?

what if at the end of the book he realizes he was wearing a blindfold the entire time

>niggers
>curryniggers
>swordsmen
pick 1

modern day

>modern day
>swordsman
Sounds legit.

>blind
>swordsman
Obviously nothing wrong with that.

>modern day
>looking for family
>not using Facebook and Web searches in general
Compelling original, to say the least.

>should I write it?
If it stops you bothering Veeky Forums for a while, then yes. Best make it a trilogy.