DNA of human embryos edited in USA successfully

Researchers have demonstrated they can efficiently improve the DNA of human embryos.

technologyreview.com/s/608350/first-human-embryos-edited-in-us/?set=608342

The first known attempt at creating genetically modified human embryos in the United States has been carried out by a team of researchers in Portland, Oregon, MIT Technology Review has learned.

But Mitalipov and his colleagues are said to have convincingly shown that it is possible to avoid both mosaicism and “off-target” effects, as the CRISPR errors are known.

Other urls found in this thread:

sciencemag.org/news/2017/02/us-panel-gives-yellow-light-human-embryo-editing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

But Mitalipov and his colleagues are said to have convincingly shown that it is possible to avoid both mosaicism and “off-target” effects, as the CRISPR errors are known.

Nothing relevant happened, weeb.

>Nothing relevant happened, weeb.

The study is going to be published and will show genetic engineering of embryos is successful and safe. That's not a big step forward? We could see a baby born from this technique in the next few years.

background info
sciencemag.org/news/2017/02/us-panel-gives-yellow-light-human-embryo-editing

NAS allowed this testing early this year and the results are already coming in. Reminder to thank TRUMP and fed gov.

>will show genetic engineering of embryos is successful and safe
Not what the article is about., weeb.

“It is proof of principle that it can work. They significantly reduced mosaicism. I don’t think it’s the start of clinical trials yet, but it does take it further than anyone has before,” said a scientist familiar with the project.

>is successful and safe
>it can work
Hmm?

>using weeb as an insult
>on Veeky Forums

We will have to see the results but based on previous studies you'll probably see around 30% of the embryos came out perfectly. Which is high enough to think about implantation.

It's not practical yet but a one-off "I'm first" healthy gene edited baby is on the horizon.

bump

I'd like to have a chimp body, the only downfall I believe would be the loss of the economical walking gait and cycling, but the gain of incredible strength to climb. A gorilla body would be good also and you could live on grass.

Very cool.
Nice to see some altruistic progress (he says with naïveté) in the field of genetics.

>TRUMP
Get
out.

Sci isnt a place for you christcuck

10/10

this is pretty incredible actually. Not that I expect Veeky Forums to really understand or care about molecular biology, but this has huge implications

I thought for sure the thread would blow up. I guess I ruined it with the picture.

>christcuck
You need to go back, LARPagan.

There are not to many people here who care or understand about biology, especially when you get into really specific molecular shit, even if it's as cool (and groundbreaking, in terms of efficiency) as CRISPR. I have no doubt in my mind we will soon see CRISPR edited implanted human embryos soon, but the fewer people who know the better, i dont want public outcry like with embryonic stem cells over a fucking zygote.
Can you imagine being born, raised, and eventually told/researched because you were the first genetically altered human zygote? That would be so freaky of a burden

does this mean my son will be a 200+ iq 6'5" chad with the phenotype ASHKENAZI girls crave?

yes.

>could see a baby born from this technique in the next few years.
Anyone born like that could sue both the parents and the company that did this into oblivion.

anybody given simulation theory any thought ?

You would also have a hilariously tiny dick.

no it will mean that the elites no longer have to care about filling their armies with the indigenious population.

it will also mean that those going to other planets will be grown on the spaceships.

it will also mean alot of wierd interactions, and mutraution processes since we don't fully understand genetic predispoisitons

Some retarded leftists or religious groups will just block it on the bizarre grounds that attempting to remove illness in the first instance and better humanity is somehow wrong and instead it's better that we all just wallow in sickness and death.

Not really seen as you would have no genetic illness or predisposition to illnesses waiting for you. It would be a hugely relieving position to be in. Imagine knowing you came from that much care and safety.

It will probably come in a batch, like the first 20 or 30, but then it would quickly grow to hundreds and eventually a huge parcel of the population before those first 20 were even big enough to understand what an embryo is. You can't keep something like this bottled up for decades. As soon as you could alter the DNA to prevent diseases, all the rich people will be doing it.

it would be an interesting precedent for sure, but i dont think so. What's to stop anyone with a genetic disability from suing their parents for pain and suffering for giving birth to them? Just seems like a weak case
I mean, imagine you are born, told "oh you would have had Tay-Sachs disease and be dead with the two parents you have, but using CRISPR we managed to eliminate it. Also it's doubtful this stuff will be used to edit multiple genes (eliminate ALL genetic disorders), at least for a while.
oh it will get out, i just dont want it to get out before major breakthroughs are made, like this, that prove it's worth pursuing even with public outcry. That way there will at least be private funding from those rich people you mentioned