Great American Eclipse 8/21/17

Less than 25 days until the first total solar eclipse in 38 years for the United States mainland and nearly 100 years since the last time a total solar eclipse has spanned the country coast to coast. I've been waiting for this event since I first learned about it in 2005.
I'd love to hear from other anons who are interested in the event, and those planning to travel to the path of totality

Where are you going to be during totality?

How is the atmosphere in your area regarding the eclipse, is anyone you know excited about it, anyone talking about it?

How do you think it will pan out? Will cell phone service crash? Will roads become parking lots? Will it inspire people to become newly interested in science and astrology?

I will be driving from Phoenix, AZ to Casper, WY. Crossing my fingers for weather.

Other urls found in this thread:

eclipse2017.nasa.gov/eclipse-live-stream
dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4597164/NOAA-reveals-cloudiness-map-historic-2017-Eclipse.html
ncsu.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=6771e9f10f904b7b8afa6cc99c4c7e7a
meade.com/eclipseviewtm-standard-solar-glasses-5-pk.html
sj-r.com/news/20170205/aug-21-eclipse-expected-to-draw-thousands-to-southern-illinois
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Berlin
>Behind screen
>Nothing special

If you're interested, Nasa will be live streaming the entire event.

eclipse2017.nasa.gov/eclipse-live-stream

Bookmarked. Thx

Who cares.

not you

Posting some eclipse photos...

I'm driving from Denver to Casper.

I'll see if I can take some crummy pictures of it with my phone.

What will the eclipse look like from NYC? If it's a sunny cloudless day will there be a noticeable difference?

You'll still see an amazing partial eclipse. You wont see the Corona or stars, but the sun will mostly disappear and the light will become dimmer. Youll also see little eclipse projections through trees, straw hats ect. As seen herePic is what you can expect at NYC. Still worth taking the day off and spending a few hours outside.

That's awesome, perhaps I'll see you there.

Look for a silver vette

How does eclipses work in the minds of FlatEarth-retards? I imagine it involves a lot of imagination and "everyone is lying and i am right"-attitude

My guess is that the sun and moon are the same exact size and every so often they bump into each other.

spoopy

Paris 1912

dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4597164/NOAA-reveals-cloudiness-map-historic-2017-Eclipse.html
NOAA reveals interactive 'cloudiness' map This map shows the likelihood of being able to view the August 21, 2017, solar eclipse, based on historical cloudiness data from the NOAA NCEI 10-year hourly climate normals dataset.
ncsu.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=6771e9f10f904b7b8afa6cc99c4c7e7a

>tfw live far from St. Louis
>may only get half eclipse for a few minutes
Eh, it's something

Move closer to the center of totality. Go early and set up camp in a park.

Any Kansas City lads here?

I'm considering going to scout for prime locations up near St. Joe this week.

Where can I buy good eclipse glasses for a reasonable price? I'm trying to buy the American paper optics one from eclipseglasses.com and they are ripping me off on the shipping.

I ended up getting this one
meade.com/eclipseviewtm-standard-solar-glasses-5-pk.html

About $17 with tax, but I guess I will probably able to sell two of them to my uncle for ten bucks.

Friendly reminder if you're going with a group of close friends and one of them takes out a red egg-shaped object to just NOPE the fuck out of there

I'm going to drive to Carbondale to see it, then drive home.

Mite b cool. Do you expect it would be crowded?

My understanding is that Carbondale is a town of 26,000 people, and over 50,000 will be descending upon it for the eclipse.

Basically expect credit card systems and cell phone networks to crash. Get there early and bring extra food, water. Make aure you have a full tank of gas.

sj-r.com/news/20170205/aug-21-eclipse-expected-to-draw-thousands-to-southern-illinois

What happens then??

I was thinking to go at 5 am with a 5 hour drive. But perhaps 12-2 in the morning would be better.

bad things

Probably a safe bet. I think the majority of people will attempt to be on the road around 10:00, all arrive around 12:00 and be stuck in complete gridlock prior and during totality.

I have a feeling it will be less crowded than the officials make it out to be, but if they are right, it's going to be fucked.

My plan is to get the car to a parking lot 8:00pm the night before and just sleep in the car since hotels are going for $1,000 a night currently. Go to Starbucks at 5:00am for their bathroom and coffee and walk over to a small park near by. I have no desire to mess with any morning traffic on that day.