People are always talking about going "back" in time or "forward" in time, but what if you went "up" in time...

People are always talking about going "back" in time or "forward" in time, but what if you went "up" in time? Would you end up in another universe? Could we build a machine to go up in time?

What does "going up in time" even mean?
We should first decide on what "up" is.

If you can go forward or backwards you just need to go perpendicular to that

you would be in the present moment

:3

time is linear dude we'd need another set of time-dimensions to distinguish any direction

you're trying to hop on the humanly made correlation of geographycal movement to the transformation of matter when there is "going back/forward in time" means reversing transformation to a previous state or advancing transformations beyond their natural capable pace, to go "up" in time would have to mean something in that correlation, swapping dimensions is clearly a wrong definition for this

Is there any proof that there's only 1 dimension of time or is that just an unproven assumption?

So if I made a machine that lets me go up in time, what would happen when I pulled the lever?

>time is linear

If there's no other dimensions, does that mean we could still ROTATE in time, though? What would happen if I rotated upside down in time?

make you a twink bbc gagging faggot with the biggest collection of dragon dildos and then explode you

You need at least 2 dimensions in order to rotate something

>user just said you need to conceptualize what "go up in time" even mean to actually make something even close to be physically feasible
>hurr durr i build random machine and pull lever xDDD

ok this thread is retarded abandon

that's not true. You can rotate a point with 0 dimensions and it will be indistinguishable but still rotated

You cannot define an axis of rotation in 0 dimensions. In 1 dimension, can define a single axis, but there is not any dimension that can rotate around this, and so you cannot define the direction and speed of rotation. Suggesting that it is possible is ludicrous.

You would be moving through parallel Universes.
See, cars move in three dimensions of space.
If I got into a nice Porsche 911 that is special in the sense that it can move up and down in time, I would, when driving, move through parallel Universes. My position in space wouldn't change, but if I drive, I'd see the road changing. If I drived slowly, I'd see the road in different colours of aslphalt, with different cars parked on it, etc. If I started driving really fast, I would end up in a parallel Universe that road doesn't even exist, and at a point you'd find yourself in your Porsche just floating in space because you have reached a series of parallel Universes in which Earth does not exist.

there were some people who were confused about what I meant by "up in time" so here's a graph explaining how it would work

I honestly can't tell if you're serious. You literally just drew a one-dimensional line and then proceeded to defy the simple restrictions associated with singular dimensions. They are linear

yeah but hypothetically what would happen? Can't I go off into one of the "space" parts of spacetime?

I mean, if you associate a real number with each point in time, then to go up in time you just need to increase the imaginary value of your position in time.

I did this and now I'm left of time now what

People always talk about going "forward" along the x-axis or "backward" along the x-axis, but what would happen if you went "up" the x-axis?

Good question, what would happen I wonder. I imagine it would look something like but with different labels maybe?

it's like saying temperature goes up and down, but what happens if we go left or right?

it's a single line, there is no third option, there is nothing to go up into. there is no option on the line.

good bait though OP

that's called humidity

you're clearly retarded but you made me think of something interesting:

is it possible that time has more than 2 dimensions? Sure we only know time as 2 dimensional but if their were higher dimensions what types of phenomenon might we expect to observe to validate their existence?

Time has other dimensions, they're called space.

Hence "spacetime"

Fuck off with your pseudo science.

I think you can, picture twisting a needle

>spacetime is pseudo-science

lol what? humidity is not temperature

Would it be possible to go DIAGONAL in time?

I'm going DOWN on time and there is nothing you can do about it

Wh-what if time is a circle, and we went ACROSS time?

Up in time is another dimension.

>People are always talking about going "back" in time or "forward" in time

This is simply false. My brother has spent two straight days in a row without talking about going back in time or forward in time. It is possible if you try hard enough.

>People are always talking about going "back" in time or "forward" in time, but what if you went "up" in time? Would you end up in another universe? Could we build a machine to go up in time?
Time, as an extra dimension, has the binary properties; back and forth. By combining the thing with the 3 dimensions of space, we get our world. Multi-dimension worlds, while mathematically sound (in theory) have yet to be proved existing. Quantum theory suggests as such, but still....