So, this reading ability system has got my 13 year old reading Walden

So, this reading ability system has got my 13 year old reading Walden.
While I appreciates that he reads so well, I can't help but feel that a lot of it will go way over his head.
He would have preferred to read A Study in Scarlet, but apparently the score of the book is not "challenging" enough. I thought maybe David Copperfield, but no, THAT isn't challenging enough.
The only book he could find at his level that interested him was Walden.
Personally, I think comprehension and content are really, really important for a kid, and it just feels too soon for Walden. I don't understand this system at all.
Do you know anything about it?
How does it work?
What are your thoughts?

>he's worried his 13 year could be smarter than him

Just realized I didn't write the name of the system: lexile.

Haha: not exactly.
I'm worried that this score is ONLY about reading ability, not content or age appropriate material, and my kid will spend hours joylessly reading a book that hhe isn't old enough to appreciate, when he could be voyaging with Long John Silver, or adventuring in India with Kim.
Enjoyment is extremely important!

Let's be honest, he will misread anything that is not targeted directly for his demographic.
Let him practice on his reading skills for now (these are crucial years for him to get REALLY used to reading), he will reread and reinterpret anything that is worth reading when he'll be more emotionally mature.

This desu. It is a source of pleasure to look back on works already read and see how the self has changed through the years.

to question and not just rote comprehension, eh? why not both? count of monte christo would be fun for him, to be sure, however, the kid will need practice, and being willing is incredibly important. besides, say you let him do a report or something and see exactly where his development is so you can help shape and guide him towards better content comprehension later. challenge can be sometimes even more exciting than the rest, so don't forget that.

I'll just keep my fingers crossed that he *will* come back to it.
A very important book!
I get that he needs the reading challenge, and I suppose that is what school is for, after all.
I guess I'm just really biased toward the idea that children should be reading for pleasure.

This is a valid point of discussion. His School probably only really only cares about his reading comprehension level. Reading comprehension tends to be a little bit correlated with philosophical seasonings, but adding more salt to raw meat does little more than fool a person into eating what would otherwise be considered bad food. Likewise, simply consuming and "understanding" material isn't going to help him. Let him cook.

You're right. I was in RA in middle school, and tested at a college reading level, meaning I was limited to books for high school upperclassmen (I think the only book they had rated at a college level back then was Gulliver's Travels). I might have had a big vocabulary, but I know the satire in Gulliver's Travels would have gone way over my head. However my sister's teacher let her read lower level books, so I would ask your son's teacher if you can set up a similar system where he reads books that are at his RA level and then is allowed to read some he's more interested in.

Unfortunately these systems are designed for average students so both brighter and duller students tend to be ill-served by them. Not much you can do but complain to the school to get an exception.

Didn't you learn fucking anything from Franny and Zooey?

Exactly.
And with human development, I feel like we are meant to "cook" on a low temperature for a long time, and not quickly on high heat.

After discussion with my mother, who says that she actually read Walden around the same age(!), I have decided to read it myself concurrently at home, and initiate discussion with the kid about it. Hopefully I can help him figure out anything he's not really getting.

Yes!!

I learned that too much intellectual development too soon can really fuck someone up! (See also Seymour: an Introduction, and Raise High the Rooftop, Carpenters)

That (and my own experience) is precisely why I don't like this educational approach.

is your son a twink?

Nah, he's a young giant type: British/Nordic/ Irish genes.

>genes
Amerikeks' heritage fetish gets me everytiem.

well, that doesn't disqualifies him from the category. a young thin qt will always be a twink, no matter how tall he is.

if he really is so appassionate about literature he should know that developing a romantic relationship with an older guy is pivital ( just ask rimbaud).

I was completely turned off from literature until later in my life because most things we read went completely over my head and my English teachers (fucking women) made the most basic uninsightful analysis of them

>dubs of truth

consign the boy, op

Turns out he's straight, or at least pretty sure of it.

Also
>pivotal

>dubs
I don't worship the god of chaos.

not a native english speaker, sorry.

anyway, at that age you can't never know. also, rimbaud married a woman later in his life.

Just describing the broad shouldered big chested body type.

but he worships you, or at least he join and free the caos inside of you

Here's a thought: Let him read it and then be a parent and teach him. Let him read a chapter and ask him questions to see if he's thinking deeply about him, and if he's not, give him some prompts, some points he should look at and a starting point for thinking about them.

mlml pic with censored eyes.

Thomas Mann and Wilde and Nubukov all loved youngsters, it's ok :^)

As I said:

>I have decided to read it myself concurrently at home, and initiate discussion with the kid about it. Hopefully I can help him figure out anything he's not really getting.

Also, I think will be good for him anyhow: discussing a book is an art in itself.

*bites neck*

whoop! this kid is now my character!

wut?

>Walden at 13
LOL i was reading dosoyevsky at eight
Shitposting aside a lot of it did go over my head at the time and I didn't fully understand as I did when I got older
At least people thought that I was smart as fuck right?

More like pic related

i like assigning faces to my characters so i can visualize them better. he's not scruffy and twitchy enough, but that just a filter

ephobophile thread? ephebophile thread

REEEE fuck of pedo-chad, you will never understand how it's like to be a skinny hetero aspie!

*stabs you horrifically*