Is there such a thing as too much worldbuilding? If so, at what point does that happen?

Is there such a thing as too much worldbuilding? If so, at what point does that happen?

After 234000 words. Or after 758 adjectives

Any worldbuilding is too much worldbuilding

Then how do you make sure your story has a believable world?

too much is too much. At the point that it becomes obnoxious. There shouldn't be pages of pages explaining details of the excessive taxation of outer colonies.

>tfw I just finished writing the second volume of Vermazorgue's penal code
fuck you

Write it in this one you actual literate

bummer for you

What the heck does "worldbuilding" even mean? Just straight exposition about details of your made up universe?

It happens when hundreds of books are written about the same fictional universe

How does it even count as death when he was transferring his consciousness from body to body until the "final" death

It has two applications:
1. The process of creating history, culture, languages, laws, etc. for characters and environment your story takes place in.
2. The integration of those things into the end product.
When reading someone's work, pretentious assholes say they can tell from #2 that the author didn't put enough effort into #1 because it somehow makes the story less real, whatever the hell that means.

I'm dying, call 911..

basically. but whether it's good world building or bad world building depends on how immersive it is for the reader. Too much information is irritating and takes you out of the story. Not enough, or inconsistent world building ruins the flow of the story. My rule of thumb is only what's pertinent to the story, or to the characters.

I think good world building is enough detail for the reader to have a rough outline, and enough of detail left out that the reader can fill in the rest.

And this comes from the fan beloved Thrawn Trilogy

It doesn't though.

hahaha what the fuck

When worldbuilding establishes things for no reason and serve no real purpose, not even to establish the feeling of the setting, and crowd out other important shit, you've done too much.