EE thread

Is electrical engineering a good major? Is it the BEST engineering major?

I mean, it has more physics and maths in its curriculum than all the others engineering mayors.

I'm between Applied Maths, Physics and EE, and I'm more inclined on EE at the moment, as it seems more interdisciplinary.

I'm interested in hearing some EE job experiences, as I don't know much about the actual jobs that EEs do.

Other urls found in this thread:

payscale.com/college-salary-report/majors-that-pay-you-back/phd
payscale.com/college-salary-report/majors-that-pay-you-back/mba
unbelievable-facts.com/2016/12/hisashi-ouchi.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

its pretty cool

Care to elaborate?

>EE
>Math

Top kek laddy

I propose you to leave behind this kind of memeposting and discuss like civilized human beings.

Is there an engineering mayor that has more math in its curriculum than EE? I'm honestly intrigued.

Double major in EE + [Math or Physics] = Godlike tier.

Possible to do in 4 years because many classes/courses overlap.

I've think about doing this, but people have told me that it's not worth the effort in terms of salary.

Those people also told me than instead of double majoring, I should just get the Master degree and I'll be much better off.

EE involves probably the most physics out of all the engineering disciplines

And it's the best engineering major

really makes you think

Well the thing about double majoring with any engineering + physics or math is it wont directly help with getting an engineering job or engineering grad school. If you want to go to grad school for an engineering field, physics, or math, just major in that, a second major or a minor wont make a difference and honestly will just make more work that has a chance to weaken your gpa.

I'm starting my EE degree in September, is there anything you guys recommend I should do to prepare?

A master in the field you want to work is always better than doing a double major

reading allaboutcircuits dc and ac books really helped me

that chart is wrong and the comments make it clear the person who wrote it is out of his depth

what would be your ranking?

ChemE > OChem > CS > EE >> Physics >>>>> Math. Poor Meth Fags BTFO.

PhD with Highest Mid Career Pay according to PayScale:
>payscale.com/college-salary-report/majors-that-pay-you-back/phd
Chemical Engineering $146,000
Organic Chemistry $146,000
Computer Science $145,000
Electrical Engineering $144,000
> Pharmacology $141,000
> Physical Chemistry $138,000
Physics $135,000
> Biomedical Engineering $133,000
> Statistics $131,000
> Aerospace Engineering $128,000
> Materials Science & Engineering $128,000
> Analytical Chemistry $121,000
> Economics $121,000
> Biochemistry & Molecular Biology $116,000
> Political Science $112,000
> Immunology $111,000
> Neuroscience $109,000
> Cell & Molecular Biology $106,000
> Microbiology $105,000
Mathematics $101,000
> Epidemiology $97,300
> Clinical Psychology $96,100

CompE student here. We definitely are not in competition with EE students. We do not study semiconductors and electronics, but we do program OS-free software (much better than EE students who barely even learn assembly), and we know how microprocessors work (so we are qualified in computer hardware). Also, an engineer should be competent enough to learn other branches than that of his diploma by himself, so there is not much point in confronting two quite connected branches of engineering (unless you are thinking about early career). One alumnus of my school who did EE told us that after a few years he almost completely stopped electronics and switched to QA.

Can you work on computer hardware as an EE? (say, for example, Intel, Nvidia or AMD)

god tier
>what you find most interesting

top tier
>electrical
>computer
>chemical
>mechanical
>aerospace
>nuclear

great tier
>materials
>civil

good tier
>industrial
>environmental
>biomedical

meme tier
>petro

>We definitely are not in competition with EE students. We do not study semiconductors and electronics
I'm a compE student and I absolutely study those things. Stop giving us a bad name

Yes EE would be the correct degree.

Too bad you ahve basicvally no chance of getting to any of those big 3.

It depends on your school desu, at my university there is compE and EE, but both could go into computer hardware shit. If you want to work at some certain company or in some field, just look up jobs on indeed or glassdoor or whatever and see the requirements for jobs you are interested in. This will give you a good idea of what you might want to tailor your upper level electives around for your major.

> muh money

>>EE
I'm an Anarcho-capitalist and I am a practicing EE, I have made millions by making a monopoly in my area with solar energy. Your move Elon.

You can make as much money as you want if you live under a capitalist government. Be your own boss.

ME, I live in Germany though. I work for Audi used to make BMWs. its orgasmic to be able to say that I designed parts on the r8.

Cringe.

In terms of job prospects in its field its not very good, it literally has negative growth. You will more easily end up doing either CS or business as opposed to EE.

Honestly you might as well just do CS because its easier and its your destination anyway.

>Civil is a subset of mech
You literally can't get most civil jobs as a mech. Civil is also broader than mech which woulld be awkward for it to be a subfield.

>In terms of job prospects in its field its not very good, it literally has negative growth.

Because the Fucking Pajeets!

Tech Companies are outsourcing EECS Jobs to Cheap Pajeets.

Pajeets are willing to Work for half of US minimum wage.

In near future Pajeets will steal most EECS Jobs.

When EECS Pajeet finds the West Tech Industry Job Market

POO . IN . IT .

the best engineering major is the one you are good at.

getting the degree isn't enough, you have to be gold league at your job if you expect to get anywhere beyond cubicle drone.

>PetroE
>Top Tier

m8, i went to the best petroleum E school in the US and nigga's were struggling to get a job in their field. Oil and Gas is in the toilet right now. Yeah, the positions still pay 100k starting, but you are going to be working 60 hours a week in a fuckin' oil field in south dakota or some other shit hole. and thats AFTER you bust your ass and beat out 100 other nigga's for the position. this isn't 2010.

I would say EE has the most REQUIRED math through its courses but ME also has an interesting variety as long as you don't fall for the manufacturing/product design meme, you just have to make a conscious effort to take the right classes. For example, I saw conformal mapping in aerodynamics, wave physics and PDE's in physical acoustics, computational methods in CFD, quaternions/Euler angles in advanced rotational stuff (i.e. flight dynamics), not to mention all of modern controls (although this is arguably a part of ME, EE, and math).

So no one knows what EEs actually do at their jobs?

My dad who is an EE got a masters in a telecommunications engineering and than a PhD in Wireless communications. He is now Systems Engineering Lead in bell labs, nokia

Run simulations about complex electrical machinery to see if it breaks when you throw a 100 kA current through it, when the thing works in your computer model, you give the circuit diagrams you created to cheap workers from Poland and make them create working machines. If the created machine is cheap enough you may also get to test your simulations in real life and enjoy the cool explosions.

>tfw brainlet
>Had to do CS instead

>the cool explosions
and get permanent ear damage because you forgot ear protection.

STEEM

>Zero job growth
>Loses to CE in job prospects and salaries
Ayyyyy elmao

Whats the best subfield to master at though? Asking for myself

>you give the circuit diagrams you created to cheap workers from Poland and make them create working machines

I'm interning at a company right now and I'm seeing this exact situation, is it really that common?

ESTEEM

Economics, Science, Technology, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics

# #
SHEEEEEEEIT
SHEE = Social science & Humanities Except Economics
EEEEE = English Major, Early Education, Environmental Engineering
I = Interior Design
T = Theology

My non programming/non-math loving relatives keep telling me to go into programming/CompSci and my programming friend who hates math says CompSci is only way to deal with software engineering. Should I listen to them? CompSci has too many people majoring in it and I would rather get into software engineering through math/physics majors, is it possible to do that?

If you want to get into software engineering then pick CS. It's a stupid question.

Pick CS with a math or EE minor depending on what level of abstraction you prefer.

I think I should have done CS instead of EE

your opinions on sales engineering or other degrees consisting of economical and engineering subjects?

Computer Engineering > any other engineering

Kek

W-why?

At least here in my country (Chile aka 'the third world'), EEs have better job prospects than CS, and also have a broader job field.

I like it. I just took my first electronics class where we used proper electronic components instead of solving retarded resistor puzzles.

>W-why?
couldn't find a single job for it,
I'm working in a warehouse.

Damn, working in a whorehouse.

In the US? And what was your gpa and internship shit like?

why do you say that?

must be looking in the wrong place.. the
>ee has zero job growth
meme is not an actual thing as ee is very general and a large portion of the jobs you get as ee are like software engineering and so on

you need to expand your horizons

>I mean, it has more physics and maths in its curriculum than all the others engineering mayors.

The issue with EE having 0 job growth is that while you can get CS and CompE jobs, and you literally have the exact same job prospects as them, why not literally just major in CompE or CS because they are easier degrees with the exact same job prospects? If you want rigor and shit then just take those classes.

I fled CS for EE

It does

Is it worth it to take Algorithms and Data structures as an EE? I'm kind of looking at Software engineering jobs, because the prospects look good and it's really flexible in terms of location etc. but I'm tempted to go for the automotive industry. What about comp. networks and such?

What should I double major/minor in with EE? CS, Math, and CompE all seem interesting. Maybe even MechE

>EE
>automotive industry

Focus on power engineering and you gonna live a good life. And even if the automotive sector starts sucking in the next 5 years as power engineer you find more than enough jobs in the energy sector (not bound to a specific energy source) or even cute stuff like particle accelerators

Should I study EE if I hate programming but like math and physics?

I did EE (BS and MS) and hated programming, loved physics and math like you. Not all parts of EE make you program. I specialized in RF for my BS and MS and there is no programming *required* for many jobs I applied to. It is still a good tool to have, but you don't have to. I think analog also doesnt have much? Maybe optics and shit related dont either? Im not sure on those but just what ive heard from friends.

Because he's a computer engineer.

>I mean, it has more physics and maths in its curriculum than all the others engineering mayors.

Lol no. They only have a miniscule introduction to modern physics. EEs don't know shit about real physics. And they don't see any real math either.

>but like math and physics

You will get dissapointed.

payscale.com/college-salary-report/majors-that-pay-you-back/mba

> Strategy $149,000
> General & Strategic Management $146,000
> Entrepreneurship $139,000

As always Veeky Forums wins again.

n=10 maybe for those salaries that require MUCH more schooling than 4 year (maybe 3 if your asian) EE degree at a top 5000 college in USA

>if your asian

Is this place full of highschoolers?

>You will get disappointed

Will I be disappointed if I take courses like Real Analysis and Classical Mechanics and Modern Physics and Quantum Mechanics as complementary courses?

Lol, you are so lost.

>So no one knows what EEs actually do at their jobs?

lemme break it down for you.

>come in to work
>get some coffee
>read emails
>make a few phone calls
>have a meeting
>few more emails
>write a report
>go check the status of the mcguffin
>shitpost/browse the internet
>go home

you will maybe do "engineering" like once a week. this isn't some piss ant engineering gig either, this is what guys making six figures at fortune 500 companies are doing all day.

wtf I love engineering now. how do i get a gig like this?

This desu

apply. nail the interview. don't have a sub 3.0 GPA and do some internships.

what i listed here shouldn't surprise you. you are thinking of "work" in the terms of what guys at McDonalds or some other blue collar plebs are doing where you are constantly engaged in some task. thats not how engineering is (and white collar work in general). you don't get paid to work, you get paid to think and if that means drinking coffee for an hour while staring out the window then thats what you're getting paid to do.

>EEJob >coffee >emails > phone >meetings >report >shitpost/internet >High Pay

Perfect Job.

ADAS

it should be worth noting that this is pretty much every engineering job.

waste of time to double major. do some internships and undergrad research

What about the 300k applied math masters doing financial analysis?

Do engineers have time for family/hobbies? Or do they have to bring work home, like having to do reports and shit.

might as well make weapons.

Im having a hard time deciding if i should study wireless technology, or control. Which one has highest demand?

Das illegal doe.

Some do

I did e-mag and controls. I am a software dev at a hospital and hate my life every day.

Are you takin a piss m8?
What other engineering routinely involved gradient operators on electromagnetic fields and complex analysis?

Maybe a computer engineer working on quantum computers?
That's basically 80% EE anyhow!

This is a legit question. I mostly know MechEngs and Aerospace majors, with a few Civil and one Chemical thrown in. They all got to stop their math and physics courses a literal year or more before me.

They all got to stop at DiffEQ and I had to keep going to pick up some more complex algebra, complex numbers, more vector stuff, etc.

the first couple of years might be rough.

Petroleum should be downgraded because it's fuckin dying.
I'm from the heart of oil country, USA, and the petroleum eng students are vanishing left and right because even out here everyone knows its days are numbered and solar/wind/nuclear will eclipse it.

You seem to have left off Nuclear, which is weird because it's one of the higher paying degrees.

Computer Engineering is also god-tier when it's offered WITH EE.

Many schools, like MIT, offer EECS degrees: Electirical Engineering and Computer Science.

Basically a hybrid of electrical and computer engineering, with less focus on large-scale power applications like susbstations, less focus on shit like chip design, which constrains the focus firmly in the mid-size range, and then EECS also does a lot of programming.

Some EECS also goes heavy mechanical in order to be a triple threat on robotics.
They can design the physical body, wire it, and code it, at the expense of not being a true Mech Eng, EE, or CS.

Does the US military have any sort of demand for EE? Either working more fundamentals with the airforce, or more applied like the US army corps of engineers? I wanna be working on electrical power generation, transfer, or storage, not computer shit.

>US army corps of engineers

only if you want to do hydropower. you will get a comfy job maintaining a 50 year old dam.

>much better than EE students who barely even learn assembly
The fuck?
I'm in EE and have never had to go "lower" than C aside from learning some basic binary and hex.

90% of my coding has been C++ or Java. If you count intro courses, then it's 50% Python., 50% C++ and Java.

>which is weird because it's one of the higher paying degrees.

with the lowest job satisfaction out of any engineering discipline.

EE is very broad, bruh.
Give it a google.
There are a lot of subtypes.

Some EEs work on power stations.
Some EEs work on consumer appliance design.
Some EEs work on smartcars.
Some EEs work in telecommunications.
Some EEs work in computer peripheral design.
etc etc etc.

Go figure the jobs that get to pick their own pay get paid more.
This has only been a known phenomenon for all of human history.

I'm EE as well, and so far i have coded C and assembly (about to start 4. sem)

Sure, but it's still cool.
Plus they make unskilled grunts do the dangerous work: unbelievable-facts.com/2016/12/hisashi-ouchi.html

I was going to go to a university with EECS. I'm glad I changed my mind. FUCK austismo CS fags. They are the cringiest fucks on the planet and I'm really happy I don't have to see them as much. CS students are mostly tards that like vidya gaymes and want to form some shitty startup.
I hope CS majors spending 700k on a cardboard box in silicon valley.

Yeah, but that's 'where' they work. The real question is what does that job actually consists of, in general.