Discuss this masterpiece here

Discuss this masterpiece here.

I've read both Russian and English versions, both have a very distinctive and unique narrative style. Though I found the Russian version a bit more comical.
You?

i can't read russian and I haven't read this book

Lolita seems like a weird book to read in Russian unless it's your native language and you don't know english. It was written in and about Americans in english with a great deal of uniquely english wordplay, and only later translated into russian by Nabokov himself because he worried that other translators would get it wrong

>one of the very few works which is translated by author himself
>seems like a weird book to read in Russian

What do you think about polish translation rusfriend?

The original was written in English.

I know both languages well enough to appreciate both versions. Though the English one gets way too tricky at times.

It's just as good in Russian, with just as much wordplay.

Did Nabokov translate it himself?

Yes, he did. I remember he also expressed some negativity regarding Russian because, after becoming very fluid in English, he was still believing that Russian is "more powerful". Then, when he had to come back to it to translate the book, he was extremely disappointed in how inflexible it was.

I wouldn't agree with him, although I'm not a linguist. My theory is that it's about building a habit. English works very differently from Russian and I understand his frustration for not being able to express something in Russian that he could in English, but it actually works both ways.

The prose is flawless, too bad is from an unreliable narrator which is something i hate

Also, the book is not funny, the story is a retarded joke that goes on for too long, and the part when they meet is not sad

But the prose is great

it's shit
so fucking overrated
the only good parts are the descriptions of hotels
transparent things is infinitely better
haven't read any other nabokov

Entry level nabakov for americans about americans.

this is a good point

If you liked this book read Ada. It's my favourite book

>tfw no loli gf

>not funny
o k
>the story is a retarded joke that goes on for too long
o k
>the part when they meet is not sad
at the end?
Fuck you fuckboi that shit was heartbreaking

it really wasn't

I tried to discuss it here but nobody cared.
Veeky Forums is shit

Honestly a disaster of a book, fucking disgusting

What's the best translation of Lolita

What are everyone's favorite parts of Lolita?
>that part where Humbert is going to drown Charlotte
>all those comfy parts hanging out with Lo
>that part where Lo runs away and Humbert chases her
>that part where Humbert bullshits Quilty's info out of his uncle

It's just that the Poe and other references in it kind of made me think Humbert was just trying to talk his way out of trouble. It seemed obvious Humbert was pandering in his confession/memoirs to an American audience he thought was always at least half-way vulgar, and since only half-way educated, easy to impress. He was just doing what he had done his whole time in The U.S., namely hustling, and seemed to hate Quilty the most of all the Yanks because he represented what he hated the most about Americans who tried to play HIS game, that is, a lack of real urbanity.

Definitely when Lo ran away. Also, most of the second half where Humbert's chasing "his shadow" and it seems like he's going crazy.

nabokov's, probably.

Glad I came to a thread for a book I was interested in reading to immediately have it spoiled for me. Back to loli doujin for me I guess.

There is like 10 books Veeky Forums talks about, and this is the most meme'd about. I'm convinced that none of you have read anything past your freshman English classes.

Sorry user, you should still read it. Having the general story spoiled doesn't ruin it at all. I was already spoiled and still loved reading it, and it still left me in suspense even though I knew the end result.
Deleted post because now I feel like a dickhead.