If evolution is based on survival why did humans evolve to feel emotions like depression and hopelessness?

If evolution is based on survival why did humans evolve to feel emotions like depression and hopelessness?

if we didn't have sadness then we would have no motivation.... i think????

chester j lampwick btfo he will never recover

might as well ask why did we evolve to get cancer and aids

Perhaps as an incentive to do things that typically relieve depression and hopelessness, like participate in social interactions and otherwise contribute to society

to cull the less fit from the gene pool and their drain on resources :D

more people commit suicide after child bearing ages than before. You posted a good example, he has kids. Another thing is we are so taken care of now we have the ability to become depressed

It's not just humans. Whales and monkeys also commit suicide

>be proto-hominid
>wander off from the rest of the tribe
>start feeling weird and sad
>feel happy when I come back to the tribe
>"guess I should stick with the tribe from now on"

>evolution is based on survival
For some members of a species to survive, other members have to die.

dis

It is not enough that I survive, others must also die

>If evolution is X why did humans evolve to Y
>Implying evolution is some kind of entity to make us immortals at some point or some shit like that

Dude, I'm sure tired of this threads.

these*

I think the concept that sapien-like life somehow always has to evolve more annoying
But yea so is this, but many people think evolution = progress and it doesn't seem to stop, maybe it comes with the package of being human

pseudoectual here. I like this quote because it makes me think about how our strong understanding of the universe is both a blessing and a curse. Some use it to create great things, some use it as a crutch. Our religions are beneficial to our species fitness if nothing else, hence humanity will never stop existing till destroyed.

but thats wrong. It's not a tragic misstep, it's just a step. And it's not nature separate from itself, it's nature able to alter itself. We are atoms trying to understand their own existence. The universe personified is us. just hope the next step isnt artificial intelligence like ghost in the shell shit

the quote could be from a book, if you like it I suggest looking it up, could be emil cioran or thomas ligotti

Why do Veeky Forums users evolve into cancer and aids?

Depression and hopelessness are lack of reward states. Meaning we evolved to like reward states such as love and happiness.

Because some depressed halfnigger caveman managed to muhdik your greatgreat^n grandma before blowing his brains out with the stone age equivalent of a shotgun. Which is all nature really cares about desu

>evolve into
I call this part into question, and I'm not even a redditor like you.

/thread

ITT : People think the theory evolution is the answer to all biological phenomena.
What about limb regeneration? We should expect limb regeneration in species in which it is advantageous for survival, but actually we find the opposite. It is often expressed where it is not useful, and lost when it would have been.

Sometimes stuff is random guys.

Binary consequence of the possibility of other states.
Also not useless, and not every feature of a successful species has to be ideal and perfect for survival at all times. There are many other factors at work that allow depressive states to be buffered to an extent, survival wise.

I also suspect the modern presentation of depression is in no way representative of the majority of our history.

Depression is an indication that there is something fundamentally wrong with your life that you dont like