Why are the rates of depression/ anxiety disorders increasing more and more? Shouldn't they be decreasing...

Why are the rates of depression/ anxiety disorders increasing more and more? Shouldn't they be decreasing, evolutionary speaking? Or have they always been this common, but people just hid it? Or are most people today lying/ exaggerating about having these mental issues?

I feel like everyone and their mom is depressed these days

Other urls found in this thread:

rdcu.be/uAS3/
idisk.mac.com/magda.havas/Public/Military Radiowave.pdf
bioinitiative.org/table-of-contents/
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0891061815000599?via=ihub
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3780531/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2248324/
nofile.io/f/Vl6y1PlZuvq/military_radiowave.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioinitiative_Report
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yeah, and testosterone levels have also been in decline. Healthy test levels aid keep a positive outlook in life.

too much freedom, not enough work.
There's a reason why you're psychologist tells you to get back in the world and not sit in your room alone.

Environment we live in is not the one we evolved in

lack of working out, shitty diets, overmedication (kickbacks), a sense that it makes you special. Fuck if i know, ive never been depressed, just "down" for a day or two

oh dad were all devo

Extinction of experience: the loss of human–nature interactions
rdcu.be/uAS3/
we have way less freedom. go try to live on some uninhabited land for free. Labor is an evolutionary novel construct.

Because you can just cop out and claim a disorder instead of facing your issues.

Then after you tell everyone they treat you with a psychological handicap, making sure interactions with you aren't triggering.

Basically you claim depression or anxiety and people are nicer to you, AND you dont have to deal with the issue.

Maybe a highly left wing society that attacks millions of years of evolutionary roles, is punitive towards hard work and tells the native population that they are worthless and sick isn't good for mental health.

I was very unhappy when i was a young liberal lecturing my parents on their racism, accepting any girl i was interested in had a partner count in the 50s and being emasculated.

yea your happiness is society's fault. fucking lel

Cue butthurt replies.

I am happy, but when i was more affected by mainstream influence i very much wasn't. However to argue that society is not an overriding factor in individual happiness is just bizarre - it is, and to everyone.

You take it the wrong way. Evolutionary speaking, we are in an environment we are not build for. One example is stressors. We can handle stress well, but not chronic stress.
There is not enough selection to make us fit our new environment.

I don't buy this argument, but maybe that's me. From what I know physical work (in general) is helpful in reducing depression for example, but some types of work only increase chronic stress and with it depression. A sense of purpose is also helpful.

>society is not an overriding factor in individual happiness is just bizarre - it is, and to everyone.
it's not, past giving you safety, food, and other necessities for life. It doesnt give a damn if you're happy. Sure it's a factor, but ultimately it is you who controls your happiness. Especially in a first world country.
>when i was more affected by mainstream influence i very much wasn't.
that's your fault that you listened, were affected by it.

I imagine because the amount of work we don't do, and by that I mean physical work. Back when I managed a fungi lab we had a huge garden we would all maintain and although extremely it was extremely hard work it was great exercise that left me feeling satisfied at the end of the day.

I would also say another factor is the environments we live in. I would say a good portion of Americans spend their entire day in a building or closed environment. I don't know how much research there is into it but i'm sure if you spend a little less time inside it helps reduce depression.

Then throw in factors like diets, social influences and expectations from birth, and whatever else its no wonder people claim to be depressed.

We all listen when we are young, you don't even develop abstract thinking to understand anything properly until you are 14. Many people listen all their lives and as such many people are unhappy.

I think you're confusing society for government when you say it gives the necessities of life. Society is that, plus your culture, it's beliefs, the people, the meaning and framework. A person is defined in relation to it and so it is integral to happiness.

You sound like an absolute weakling.
> "working a mushroom garden was tough for me!"

you're right that im kind of equating the government with society.
but
>Many people listen all their lives and as such many people are unhappy.
is not societies fault they allow others to tell them how to feel.

you get my point though, and i get yours, even if i disagree with it. but i was also one of those people who never gave a fuck about others or their arbitrary opinions about shit, and that does seem to be a rare quality

Because people sit on there asses all the time
go outside do sport enjoy being outdoor

But everyone lets others inform them to begin with, it's only through experience and thought that you later pull away. I often find more so that those who explain the don't care about others opinions are most often those who are particularly sensitive to them, and removing themselves from them is a defense mechanism. Eventually we all need other people's opinions but being well adjusted is choosing those people selectively and pulling away from wider society that way.

Some people never pull away and try and live according to a society that in my opinion is wrong and deleterious and that is what causes much of the unhappiness today. We're told to enjoy what history, biology and reason tell us to dislike and vice versa. Still i do appreciate this is Veeky Forums and not /pol/, but it's hard to talk about psychological issues like depression without it.

I've been depressed ever since becoming an atheist honestly

oh i didnt say im immune to opinions, i just give the right people's opinions weight, and those who dont matter none. Hence the "arbitrary opinion" comment. No one is an island, but it's extremely important to realize who is acting in your best interest and who isnt or doesnt care about it at all. And the sooner that is realized, the sooner one can free themselves from the pressures of society, which is really only as strong as you allow it to be (within certain parameters, i obviously cant walk around naked or break the law, ect).
>in my opinion is wrong and deleterious
im glad you said it's your opinion, you're entitled to it for sure.
>We're told to enjoy what history, biology and reason tell us to dislike and vice versa.
again, only if you allow them to define what you enjoy/your personality. I'm sorry but someone falling victim to the influences of social media and all this sharing bullshit is not a victim, as they subjected themselves to it voluntarily!
yes, i go on /pol/ all the time but mostly just to troll, probably obvious in my first response, but as long as you express your opinion without absolutes, discourse is good here. That's the problem with /pol/ (and why it's so easy to troll), they only deal with absolutes, on opinionated topics

you sound like you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. work is not a competition of who is exerting more effort, or you're losing to fruit pickers constantly. He's just saying go out and do something physical.

because you became an atheist?

Hah so true. Women being hos is quite depressing. Like it's cool that they're cool with sitting on a buncha dicks without having a clue where they been but I'm not. As far as my interests are concerned if you're going to mean anything to me you gotta keep a tidy hole. If a woman is able to cheat she's able to disregard your emotions in any other way. You'll be lucky if they don't completely inconvenience and disrupt every facet of your existence. Understandably guys like me will be tossed out with the trash. Frankly I don't feel any real contempt, it was my fault for being lustful in the first place and I should probably go to church

Our bodies and minds weren't made to live the way we live now.

-Exposure to pulsed microwave fields via wifi, cell phones, bluetooth, smart meters, etc.
-Poor dietary quality. Nutrient poor, pesticide, herbicide, and heavy metal laden garbage. Subsequent processing into a "food" product makes this worse.
-Decadent, disjointed, delusional culture that exists in a broader almost insurmountable mess. Most people are aware that they're helpless and that our species is intrinsically deficient in all the aspects that would provide the means for intelligent and legitimate change. Applied crowd psychology coupled with divide and conquer built the world, directs the world, and is the time honored method of maintaining any highly layered or vertical power structure. That's the way it's been, and that's the way it'll go.

Chronic inflammation and elevated intracellular Ca2+ is likely the cause of most issues. The link between microglia activation, lymphcytes, 5-HT secretion, and reactive quinone formation has been very well established.

>women control my emotions
god how weak can someone be
>-Exposure to pulsed microwave fields via wifi, cell phones, bluetooth, smart meters, etc.
got a source or are you speculating? Im not disagreeing just wondering

>got a source or are you speculating? Im not disagreeing just wondering
The overarching mechanism is activation of voltage gated calcium channels, likely via interaction with the charge groups comprising their voltage sensing subunit (which must all be moved in a certain direction at roughly the same time to activate the main channel's two high affinity zones). VGCCs are involved in everything from neurotransmitter release, to LTP, to synaptogenesis, etc. Chronically elevated intracellular calcium upregulates iNOS activity, NO then reactions with superoxide to produce peroxynitrite in high levels. This pathway has been well studied, in hypoxia related tissue damage especially (calcium channel blockers improve stroke and post stroke recovery outcomes).

They're almost universally present in nature and one of the most low level signalling mechanisms that have developed, and that ELF and microwaves affect organisms through non-thermal means was known as far back as the 60's. This isn't new.

Further reading:
Soviet, Eastern European, and American research on pulsed and static fields at thermal and subthermal intensities, dating back to the 60's. Compiled by the Navy. I have begun to attempt to track a lot of this down.
idisk.mac.com/magda.havas/Public/Military Radiowave.pdf

People working in related fields:
bioinitiative.org/table-of-contents/

2 Good reviews:
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0891061815000599?via=ihub
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3780531/

More reading on iNOS and peroxynitrite.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2248324/

>idisk.mac.com/magda.havas/Public/Military Radiowave.pdf
Looks like this is screwed up or not hosted anymore. Anyone know of somewhere reliable to upload it?

nofile.io/f/Vl6y1PlZuvq/military_radiowave.pdf

i know of voltage gated calcium channels, but to say they are activated by that is pretty big. You would expect to see huge health issues because of that when they arose, a sharp increase in certain conditions, especially since they are so ubiquitous (the channels).
your first link is broken
Your second is to an obviously biased website with little research, and no peer review necessary. Multiple international agencies have spoken out against their research published.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioinitiative_Report
your third and fourth links are by the same dude with single authorship.

Im not saying there isnt anything, but i feel this would be huge if it were a thing. Especially public health would have taken a huge beatdown if there was an actual issue, and it would have been extremely easy to pinpoint that on manmade microwave fields.

>your first link is broken
Fixed.

>Your second is to an obviously biased website
An appearance of bias is not necessarily a negative in a climate of almost universal opposing bias, when you're a neutral observer. Nonetheless I am wary of them as well. Though I'm not really sure how they're "obviously biased" in a meaningful way. The statement itself suggests bias.

When you're dealing with the human race you need to accept that very few people's value system is actually geared around truth. It might pretend to be, but is really hedonism and desire in disguise. Your own reason and error control has to come into play as a result, always.

>your third and fourth links are by the same dude with single authorship.
They're reviews, the substance is in the citations and (if done legitimately) any greater perspective from aggregation of data. I included them specifically because of this, it links to studies done monitoring calcium flux. Pulsed field exposure causes a near instantaneous elevation of intracellular calcium, and use of calcium channel blockers cause this, and all other effects, to disappear.

There is also a genetic polymorphism of the VGCC encoding genes that causes them to be overactive, called "Timothy Syndrome". It near universally presents with autistic features. Autism rates are now conservatively estimated at 1 in 43 children.

There are FDA approved devices that use pulsed fields to treat depression. Pulsed fields are being investigated for cancer treatment via their ability to increase BBB permeability. Post-MRI (temprary) remission of severe depression has long been noted, as have working memory deficits and reduction in dendritic arborization / layer V pyramidal cell density with chronic occupational exposure. Exposure however, is no longer occupational. There are few viable controls left.

People want it both ways. You can't have it both ways. Either it does or it doesn't, and it would appear, it definitely does.

>and it would have been extremely easy to pinpoint that on manmade microwave fields.
This has been done, repeatedly. Regulatory bodies won't use the available data, and at this point, people wouldn't care anyway. I haven't even mentioned the studies on DNA damage of germ-line cells, reduced sperm count, reduced sperm motility. Rats put in radio parks using the same signal patterns used by consumer devices lost the ability to produce viable offspring in 3-4 generations. The low level mechanistic approach is "done", we know enough. It's not on the level of "precaution" anymore.

> Autism rates are now conservatively estimated at 1 in 43 children.
i dont think that's true, 1 in 150 is what ive seen consistently. And better diagnosis is really the cause for that.

It's interesting for sure, and im not ruling it out, i always thought it was strange that it had no obvious impact on health, but i dunno, not much has changed healthwise that would indicate this has any major result. Im gonna look up the timothy syndrome though, interesting stuff user

> I haven't even mentioned the studies on DNA damage of germ-line cells, reduced sperm count, reduced sperm motility.
yea i quickly glanced at that, im going to take a look at them for sure. Just because the website was created for exposure on this topic doesnt implicitly imply bias, but im going to be very wary of it.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioinitiative_Report
The criticisms listed are mostly par-for-the-course nonsense. Existing safety standards for microwave exposure is based strictly on SAR, ie, thermals. As was known in the 60's, thermals are not relevant. As has been demonstrated in the years since then, thermals are not relevant.

Exposure limits for ELF are based around induction. Which again, isn't relevant.

I don't understand what is so difficult to grasp here. It's just signal transduction. Your eyes do it as well, and downstream afford the means for non-ionizing radiation to "cause chemical change". Yet people think little of it. The real reason this is so difficult is because of how entrenched we are, and, if acknowledged to be the truth, how terrifying, disappointing, and burdensome that feeling of entrapment would be. Everywhere, everyday. Unfortunately, belief does not make actuality, and things are going to work how they work whether you like it or not. We don't make the rules.

desu id rather have internet with the possibilities of weird health shit down the line. I cant go back man.
also let's say all that is true. are the public health benefits of getting rid of... god... everything electronic pretty much better than the expense?

>i dont think that's true, 1 in 150 is what ive seen consistently.
Maybe 5 years ago. Now it ranges from 1 in 68 to per 43, depending on the metric and sampling specifics.

>And better diagnosis is really the cause for that.
We;ll never really know. There is always an omnipresent dilemma in epidemiology when assessing increasing disease prevalence:
-Changes in diagnostic criteria
-Changes in culture
-Whether or not there has been an absolute change in prevalence, or if a certain ratio has always existed and there are just more people to cause it to appear more prevalent.

In this case, weighing all thing, it would seem autism diagnosis is not likely responsible for the increase. People think mild autism, or mid-high functioning autism. They're forgetting about "can't care for themselves practically drooling autism".

I'm pretty certain you've got a perception bias and some heavy emotional involvement in your argument.

On happiness / ending depression, it's evident that contributing to the wellbeing of others and having a purposeful role in society, combined with a good attitude, allows for personal wellbeing regardless of physical health or other complaints.

But if you beleive that your happiness has been ruined by some external force, and blame your failures on the world around you, you are sure to become depressed. Depression and blame are the same thing.

>desu id rather have internet
You can have internet. You just use an ethernet cable and we act more intelligently about shielding, ground, etc. For house wiring included.

Wifi != internet. And things like Li-Fi will hopefully eliminate this junk excuse for wireless digital transmission.

Cell phones are a much harder problem to solve. Interference or bandwidth problems will bar anything non-ionizing, even if highly local. All I can think of is a network of genetically engineered plants that would also function as a self constructing, self generating, self maintaining, and self load balancing power grid. Obviously this is not a practical short term solution. People might just have to choose between sterility, cancer, and brain damage... or cell phone use.

Something like pic related happened.
The overall rates of depression haven't changed much but diagnosis and treatment have.
Before 1950s the only treatment was electroshock therapy so only the severe cases got diagnosed and treated as depression, everyone else just dealt with it.
In the 50s they invented TCAs, discovered some people could be treated with pills instead of electroshocking them and that there were a bunch of other people with moderate depressive symptoms who hadn't needed electroshocking but responded well to pills. Moderate depression starts being diagnosed and treated and there's a lot more of it than severe depression so rates go up a lot.
Same again with the invention of SSRIs etc in the 80s. Milder than TCAs. Mild depression starts being diagnosed and treated and rates go up again.

>are most people today lying/ exaggerating
Probably a bit. No one distinguishes between severe/mild, it's the mild rates that are going up.
Preventative mental health is also on the rise. SSRIs are basically harmless so there's also pressure to overdiagnose/overmedicate mild cases. Someone who may be mildly depressed should be given SSRIs to prevent a worsening depression but if they didn't really need them no harm done.

>I'm pretty certain you've got a perception bias and some heavy emotional involvement in your argument.
I'm a rigid realist. I think about and chip away at how things do, and can, work, and that's it. I've lived through things that have deconstructed and rebuilt me so many times there's little else inside.

>allows for personal wellbeing regardless of physical health or other complaints.
This is untrue. Take it from someone with chronic health problems, you can go down the dissociation-based mind distorting pseudo-zen avenue, for a while. But it doesn't last. And it shouldn't last.

You clearly haven't the slightest what things can be like, and what it will, by necessity, do to you. Regardless of environment or types of personal engagement.

>But if you beleive that your happiness has been ruined by some external force
This is a framing matter. Tell me, is chronic pain an "external force"? Is your digestive system shutting down causing your body to be poisoned every time you do anything other than starve yourself, an "external thing"?

And does it even matter? Of course it doesn't. The outcomes, and your perception, will converge to nearly identical ends whether you see it as part of you, or acting on you. It's irrelevant.

Pulsed fields affect neurotransmitter release and hormone cycles. You think like an addict.

> Is your digestive system shutting down causing your body to be poisoned every time you do anything other than starve yourself, an "external thing"?
er what is this referencing exactly

Nerve damage. Subsequent overgrowth of small intestinal bacteria, and chronic inflammation induced increase in intestinal permeability. Bacterial translocation, and sufficient bacterial metabolic waste production to make it through first pass processing in the liver, following meals.

you're going to die of cancer probably. Just saying, constant inflammation is terrible.

Possibly. Mechanical failure of the heart, starvation, or mental sloppiness potentiated accident is far more likely. My antioxidant intake is fairly high.

were not evoling to survive anymore were evoling to survive in society so shitty traits like depression and anxiety are ganna be an issue

you sound super fucked up healthwise. How did you get nerve damage causing those conditions?

I am, but I also do well enough. Done more, and better, than people with a fraction of the more fundamental overhead. People who can eat. People who can sleep. It likely is not noticed in any direct sense, despite my every action, pattern, and habit being engineered and the result of years of iteration. Things have been worse functionally, and yet, it is also at the worst it's ever been. It wouldn't surprise me if I didn't last much longer. It's a feeling.

>How did you get nerve damage causing those conditions?
Don't know. When I was ~12 I had all the symptoms of MS, but there was no sign of lesioning. It would seem the beginning was quite early and allowed some state which potentiated a number of other system failures over time. Most of which formed catch-22s as far as reversibility. Some of the peripheral nerve issues stem from spinal scoliosis and jaw problems.

I still don't know the reason. It's a large framework, and a web of webs. Some part of me knew this was coming even back then, it's probably a large part of why I got into molecular biology and pathology to begin with. Guess I was too slow again.

I'm so sorry that you're suffering like that mate. You're right, I can't relate to being in constant pain. My background is 5 year heroin addiction that I was able to dig myself out of to become for all intents and purposes a successful person.

That's why I was asserting that depressed people can fix their problems through helping others, it's a pattern that has been recognised by many brilliant minds that I respect and I can't see the idea being faulted.

I feel that because homoeostasis occurs in our brain chemistry, and this chemistry is what produces happiness, it is difficult (impossible) to explain why one person receives more pleasurable experience than any other. I think we all feel the same amount of happiness and sadness. I think wellbeing is different to direct stimulus of happiness and is instead a neutral emotion that comes about after addressing the question "how do i feel that things have gone for me in my life so far"

Wayyy too much sendentary work. Men are supposed to be hunters and use their muscles too...

Also, when it comes to intellectual purposes : there are simply too few. I am completely alienated by technology.

I dont buy this argument either.