I have stage IV non-small cell lung cancer (only ever a social smoker...

I have stage IV non-small cell lung cancer (only ever a social smoker, but heavy as far as social smokers go you might say ;)) with mets to my brain and unless I have a great response to some exciting modern treatments I'm going to die pretty soon.

What should I read to make me feel better about dying young, and to prepare myself mentally for the whole process of dying in a painful way? In particular I have always been into futurism and dying just short of very exciting times makes me extremely bummed out, but I suspect certain perspectives could make a feel a little more at ease. Whatever happens I'm going to be in hospital a lot over the next few months so it can keep me occupied

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tibetan_Book_of_Living_and_Dying
youtube.com/watch?v=EIWINsaEpnw
diamond-sutra.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Terribly sorry to hear that, OP. I would read a lot of Rumi if I were you. You can start anywhere with him. Percy Shelley is also some essential death-reading. Hope you recover, best wishes.

can't you go bang some hookers and some meth and do some acid and write your own book? literally what i would do, no joke.

i'm sorry user, i hope you survive. try fungus (look up paul stamets)

read the sticky and fuck off

I don't have any interest in sex, drugs is a different story.....

the bible~

try to get your hands on some liquid psilocybin and bang that shit mixed with heroin and dmt, bro.

I'm a smoker. I fear I may be in the same position you are at, OP. Then again, perhaps not.

I will recommend what I usually recommend for many situations: read the Bhagavad Gita. It is particularly comforting and calming on the idea of death.

>stage IV non-small cell lung cancer with mets to my brain
>great response to some exciting modern treatments
ask the oncologists around user, my dad just got that in chimio form, with less side effects
it's an experimental protocol in France, if that helps

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tibetan_Book_of_Living_and_Dying

The last chapter of stoner.

The consolation of philosophy

sorry op, hope its easy

Spinoza's Ethics

What to Expect While You're Expecting

Well shit, that sucks OP.
I guess if I was dying I wouldn't like to think my existence will be erased in every way, so you should read some philosophical defenses of the soul and afterlife. Plato is your friend.

I'm glad someone else on lit that finds beauty in Spinoza's "pantheism".

but pantheism is atheism

On Heroes and Tombs
Journey to the End of the Night
The Cossacks

>Plato
Recommending Plato to OP would be like his doctor recommending leeches as treatment

>not being inspired by Socrates' fearless dissent and death
Have you even read the Apology?

He's not an easy read and I think that scares away a lot of the riff raff

How old are you OP?

>of all philosophical thought, the best parallel i have to coping with terminal disease is 'hold to your convictions despite popular opinion'

It's not a book, but listen to the song Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier by Corb Lund

It's sort of melancholy, but the core concept really changed the way I look at death. It's the only song that I'd actually describe as having actually changed my life. I don't know if it'll help you the same way, but it's worth a try.

youtube.com/watch?v=EIWINsaEpnw

kieerkeegaard maYBE

b-but anamnesis bro

>"participating in this activity gives you lung cancer"
>Participate in said activity
>Get lung cancer

Really, OP...

not this meme again

you could start by learning the correct definition of futurism

diamond-sutra.com/

Spinoza's Ethics as a koan:

Except God, no substance can be or be conceived.

Whatever is, is in God, and nothing can be or be conceived without God.

Stop being a special snowflake and die like a man. You took a chance knowing the risks and you lost. There's no tragedy here.

WOAH, SO FUCKING EDGY!
Teach me your ways XD!!

OP is roleplaying, lung cancer before 40 is extremely rare.

>extremely rare.
I notice that doesn't say impossible.

Lung cancer if you've barely smoked literally shouldn't happen unless you live in Beijing for 20 years.

What are you trying to prove by being a huge edgelord?

death of ivan ilyich by tolstoy

Spend money on a gun and blow your brains out before it all gets all too painful desu.

Saw my mom die to that shit, and I'd want to end it a bit before the slow and ugly finale.

What a boring way to die.

Which one? Lung cancer or blowing your brains? Because I don't think one gets the chance to become very bored either way.

Both.

fuck man, this

I'm not a well read person but I have read a few things from which I was able to extract some consolation for my mortality (chances are I'm going to die fairly young too):

The Death of Ivan Ilych
The Book of Job (lots of other parts of the Bible too)
Stoner
Philoctetes
The Trial
Till I End My Song (poetry anthology edited by Bloom)

Can't think of anything else right now and I can see some of them have been mentioned in this thread already. Sorry, op.

impending death is always the best time to get mystical. i suggest the tibetan book of the dead