There was a quote about holocaust, by some writer(?)...

There was a quote about holocaust, by some writer(?), that every art created from genocide onwards should be concerning holocaust.

Anyone knows the quote?

I don't know the quote but it sounds like some jew bullshit.

If that were the case all art should be about the genocide of the midianites or some other genocide that happened 1000's of years ago.

gertrude stein I want to say

bumping bcs other threads are shit anyway

Maybe Adorno? "There is no poetry after Auschwitz."

Kulturkritik findet sich der letzten Stufe der Dialektik von Kultur und Barbarei gegenüber: nach Auschwitz ein Gedicht zu schreiben, ist barbarisch, und das frißt auch die Erkenntnis an, die ausspricht, warum es unmöglich ward, heute Gedichte zu schreiben.

>Implication that such an event ever occurred.

thank you user

"Poetry after Auschwitz is barbaric."

Or something. It's from Adorno. He thought all art needed, in its formal structure, to be about the Holocaust or else it was ignoring and thus condoning the Holocaust, thus barbaric.

He liked Beckett a lot because he thought his plays dealt with this. I'm not sure what Beckett thought of him.

He hated pop music and jazz, because of it's simple formal qualities which, in some way, reflected an ignorance of the Holocaust. He liked Schoenberg and atonal classical.

I dunno if I agree with him on this

Anyway, its probably not relevant anymore, since 9/11 happened

His argument makes a strong case for swing dancing not caring about the Holocaust.

Whether or not Adorno was racist towards blacks and couldn't handle the formal genius of the Coltrane changes or Thelonious Monk is another question.

Without denying the tragedy of 9/11, the Holocaust was a lot worse.

Was it the worst ever though?

What a fucking faggot
Why are these kikes taken seriously by anyone? The Germans had the right idea tbqh.

Fuck that shit. Life must go on. Almost as bad as the Christian concept of original sin. Does nothing but make the miracle of life stale and its people insipid.

Khan was the worst
Afganistan is still recovering

Go away, Chomsky.

of course it was, I didn't want to imply that but a change in the global mindset of people after it. All the fake paranoia (and I am not implying that "jews did it" other than it doesn't really matter anymore it seems) and fake identity politics craze that we live now, historical annotations in art are obsolete.

(alternative facts duh)

*matter who did it anymore

I think it was shlomo shekelstein that said that

That's a good album. Ulver's "Shadows of the Sun".

proof that Adorno was right

first post, best post

>"There is no poetry after Auschwitz."
I am sure that the quote might make more sense in the context of the essay, but reading it alone, for what it is, it is not very bright, or logic, or revealing. It shows someone who seems to be making a statement based much more on emotion and trauma than on actual intellectual activity (or, more probably, is just some rhetoric effect made because the author wanted to please his own ego).

Terrible things are happening all the time, all around the world. So does that mean that all our cultural production must gravitate around those incidents? Aren’t there many other feelings, experiences, thoughts and revelations inside our human minds? Why shouldn’t one talk about love, and sex, and the joys of food and drink, and dance, and the beauty of the night, or the sweet smell of vanilla and cinnamon, just because people are beeyng genocide on another part of the world? Does that terrible thing completely dissolves the good aspects of human nature that are happening on several other places?

And then there is the fact that things like the Holocaust happened again and again in several periods of the human history – and are still happening right now in some places of the world. So why only the Jewish holocaust should be the decisive factor for a change of aesthetics?

That was a stupid quote, there isn’t much one can say about it: it was a way of getting attention.

>all this fucking downplaying of the single most important event in the history of intellectual and cultural development of human species

If you dont understand conceptual implication and buildup of events that lead us there and what not, do not respond pls. You sound like a babby's first edgy phase teenager arguing with a grad school teacher.

also, you have to go back

>ITT retards
Adorno didn't mean there could only be poetry about the holocaust. He was obviously disillusioned by humanity and didn't believe we could ever produce worthwhile art again.

I'd say prove him wrong instead of being a faggot about it.

>The more total society becomes, the greater the reification of the mind and the more paradoxical its effort to escape reification on its own. Even the most extreme consciousness of doom threatens to degenerate into idle chatter. Cultural criticism finds itself faced with the final stage of the dialectic of culture and barbarism. To write poetry after Auschwitz is barbaric. And this corrodes even the knowledge of why it has become impossible to write poetry today. Absolute reification, which presupposed intellectual progress as one of its elements, is now preparing to absorb the mind entirely. Critical intelligence cannot be equal to this challenge as long as it confines itself to self-satisfied contemplation. (Prisms, 34)

Basically, self-expressive poetry is bourgeoisie and bourgeoisie ideology allowed and produced the conditions for fascism, Nazism, and the holocaust. But he later sorta recanted and said his statement was really dialectical and really meant if poetry were the be written, it must be done with an acute awareness of its metaphysical and ideological implications ("critically," if you must).

>the single most important event in the history of intellectual and cultural development of human species

oy vey!

what?

>>all this fucking downplaying of the single most important event in the history of intellectual and cultural development of human species

Ok, so let us just remember some other genocides that have happened in history. These are just a few examples:

>Mongol conquests
> aiping Civil War in China
>European colonization of the Americas
>Slave labour in the americas
> Ottoman EmpireHolocaust.
>Holodomor
>Khmer Rouge in Cambodia
>Armenina genocide
>Rwandan genocide

But according to your statement the Jewish genocide is undoubtedly the greatest historical, social and intellectual event that has ever occurred on this planet. But tell me: what makes it so different (and more important) from all the suffering of these millions of others-many of whom you probably never heard of?

Why is the European Jewish people more important than all these other people?

Moreover - if you want to choose a collective event and not a particular person's work - why the holocaust is culturally and intellectually more significant than the renaissance, than the Greek culture in Athens, than the press revolution, than The revolution of the internet, than the dissemination of the scientific method?

The one who looks like a spoiled child here is you and not the guy you're responding to.

I do not think you're Jewish, but if you are, know that I respect the pain of your relatives and the memory of your dead, but stop and think a little more about all the other people - unrelated to you - who have been killed because of race, religion, war and politics over the centuries. The Holocaust was one example of a cyclical event in human history

Is this autistic post serious?

This thread needs to be deleted. MODS

What's the matter, you retard?

People are being patient with you. Look at the stupidity that you said:

>>all this fucking downplaying of the single most important event in the history of intellectual and cultural development of human species

And what is this faggotry to call the mods whenever someone contradicts you? If you have arguments then expose them, if not then fuck off.

The only thing that you've done so far is to grumble without supporting any of your stupid opinions.

Schlomo Sheckelsteinenburg

You are a faggot.