We must make a million Aubrey memes and meme superlongevity into existence

Other urls found in this thread:

endpts.com/british-billionaire-jim-mellon-and-high-profile-partners-roll-the-dice-on-an-anti-aging-upstart/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Wednesday July 26 2017&utm_content=Wednesday July 26 2017 CID_8bda3a0aeb7a0ac0517ce072a4cf9dbe&utm_source=ENDPOINTS emails&utm_term=British billionaire Jim Mellon and high-profile partners roll the dice on an anti-aging upstart
leafscience.org/sens-where-are-we-now/
youtu.be/AvWtSUdOWVI
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19485966
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3468323/
salk.edu/news-release/turning-back-time-salk-scientists-reverse-signs-aging/),
endpts.com/british-billionaire-jim-mellon-and-high-profile-partners-roll-the-dice-on-an-anti-aging-upstart/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Wednesday July 26 2017&utm_content=Wednesday July 26 2017 CID_8bda3a0aeb7a0ac0517ce072a4cf9dbe&utm_source=ENDPOINTS emails&utm_term=British billionaire Jim Mellon and high-profile partners roll the dice on an anti-aging upstart)
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3836174/
sensproject21.org).
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Aubrey + Pizza = ∞/10

Sometimes I sit awake on long hot nights, while sweating myself to sleep, and I think about what he looks like without that beard. I imagine it is the only thing that is keeping him immortal and underneath it is pure bone, no skin left.

I can't wait for all the memes when he finally kicks the bucket.

I think there is a photo of him without beard in the Documentary "The Immortalists".

I heard they used CGI for that.

Never going to happen. Just more flying cars. Humans aren't smart, competent or non-psycho enough to actually create widespread immortality, even though it's not even fucking hard.

Wishing for an immortal George Soros, immortal Putin ...etc while normal plebs keep dying of preventable diseases.

Can you imagine how horrible the world would be if that shit happened?

Literally Elysium with lower technology.

Dictators are almost never dying of old age. Also long lived dictators would be a much smaller problem of 100.000 people dying per day with the last part of their lives in ill health due to aging. (100.000 per day is 2/3 of all world deaths, and I doubt making dictators live longer could ever be the primary cause of death in the world).

This is wrong. The real dictators like the wealthy hands directing society (the Koch brothers, Bill Gates, etc.) are basically untouchable. Aubrey de Grey is babby tier when it comes to understanding how human society works.

Are you saying flying cars wouldn't be awesome? The ability to drive as the raven flies would massively lighten the load on road infrastructure and traffic congestion.

It's not just a shiny bauble.

Top kek communist get out

>Are you saying flying cars wouldn't be awesome?
I'm saying 1: we already have them; they're fucking called planes and 2: they will never be widespread because most people can't even fucking drive. I can only imagine the chaos if every pleb was in the fucking air too.

>Say the obvious truth
>Everyone gets mad
Eugenics now.

Check Unity Biotechnology bringing senolytics in human clinical trials (look at their effect on mice, they remove senescent cells, one of Aubrey's damages) in a year or the new company Juvenescence founded by Jim Mellon: endpts.com/british-billionaire-jim-mellon-and-high-profile-partners-roll-the-dice-on-an-anti-aging-upstart/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Wednesday July 26 2017&utm_content=Wednesday July 26 2017 CID_8bda3a0aeb7a0ac0517ce072a4cf9dbe&utm_source=ENDPOINTS emails&utm_term=British billionaire Jim Mellon and high-profile partners roll the dice on an anti-aging upstart

Also check this: leafscience.org/sens-where-are-we-now/

And therapies will not be only for the rich, as technology price always dropped. Rich people wouldn't have any motivation of impeding the spreading of the therapies too, since living, for example, today as a normal person is better than living in 1800 as a very rich one.

Removing senescent cells won't make you live longer. Not much anyway. It will only extend healthspan, not lifespan. You die because you LOSE CELLS to critical system-wide failure. You need to REPLACE cells.

So like how we have viral cures for cancer, but only the rich can affor- oh wait fuck.

lol, not sure if this is troll bait, or if you're just embarrassingly ignorant of the field. It's literally already happening.

Oh, so someone has dramatically extended the lifespan of a human? Wow, I didn't realize.

That's because they are in their early stage. Price dropping is a thing in medicine too.

Also these therapies would pay for themselves in due time. The positive economical benefits for a healthy and productive society would make it so that any country that does not eventually give these therapies out for free would be handicaped in comparison to their competitors. For one, most of the governments medical expenses are spent on the last years of life of the elderly. Dealing with these issues before the pathologies accumulate would save the government resources. But maybe more importantly, a population that is healthy accross the board would be so much more beneficial to the economy, especially considering that less of the population would need to take care of the elderly and could focus more of their time in creating value.

There is already a 20 year gap in lifespan between the rich and the poor in the US. That's already big enough to influence politics because it allows rich dynasties to accumulate more wealth.

People don't even have health insurance, today, and you're trying to convince me that they would have access to the technologies to be immortal. You are delusional.

No thanks. I'd rather we don't end up in a dystopian horror story.

>Everything gets cheaper over tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime!
Oh, so I should be able to pick up a new car and a house with a single, average income for like a fucking nickel, right? Oh everything is more expensive now than it was in the 50s? Wow, but muh progress doe!

When a new cancer drug is developed, we don't typically advocate against people having access to it until everybody else does. Following that logic, we should also cease to perform kidney transplants. New technologies tend to be bulky and expensive when they first appear but continual develpment leads them to become better and cheaper shortly after. Supply increases and prices decrease while there is an increasing demand, and you can be sure that the demand for the therapies that keep aging under medical control will be prevalent.

That's a healthspan gap, not a lifespan gap. The rich have no greater maximum lifespan than the poor. No human can ever have good enough nutrition or regular healthcare or money to live to 150.

>Price dropping is a thing in medicine too.

Costs of medical care exploded. Where the fuck are you seeing the prices dropping? I want to move to that place.

Stop parroting Econ 101 textbooks.

So would you prefer not to develop new cancer therapies or Alzheimer's ones because they could be only for the rich? Because this is what you are saying.

Valar Morgulis.

Ending aging doesn't mean immortality, no one is saying we'll be able to eliminate death. Aging is only responsible for 2/3 of all deaths.

Stem cell tissue rejuvenation experiments have gained traction recently. There were papers on mice muscle tissue and hypothalamic tissue that extended lifespan. The efficiency needs to be refined, but stem cells are definitely the way to go to increase lifespan it seems.

Housing is inflated by artificial scarcity (cars too), really not comparable to flat screen TVs and other mass produced goods.

No. This will require FULL BODY, COMPREHENSIVE stem cell replacement just to SLOW aging. Not even reverse it. We have no such technologies and NOBODY is even talking about beginning to work on them.

You mean like technology? Oh wow how about that. Do you honestly think technology or medicine is scarce? Or hard to produce? You're not paying for products. You're paying for producers and their desire to get money.

Oh boy, you're the autist that made that thread a couple weeks ago where you said that life extension would NEVER be a thing and that caloric restriction is bs, right?

Anyway, "FULL BODY, COMPREHENSIVE" stem cell replacement can only become a thing if multiple PARTIAL BODY, NON-COMPREHENSIVE stem cell therapies are developed and proven to work in MICE. Yes, MICE. The reason such technologies haven't begun to be researched is because nobody wants to waste money if the individual therapies have not been designed, not to mention the lack of a comprehensive unifying theory of ageing and its causes.

Stop being a fucking autist and WAIT.

>caloric restriction is bs
CR is bs. Do you think it isn't?

>Anyway, "FULL BODY, COMPREHENSIVE" stem cell replacement can only become a thing if multiple PARTIAL BODY, NON-COMPREHENSIVE stem cell therapies are developed and proven to work in MICE.
WRONG. God you people are so fucking stupid. You're never going to do this.

>Do you think it isn't?
As a matter of fact I agree with you, a fact which I am ashamed of.

>WRONG.
I don't know what your brain damage is, but literally EVERYTHING will be accomplished at some point in the future, so saying never is just plain retarded. Actually, even saying it's not going to happen within our lifetimes is debatable. Individual stem cell research on mice is published literally every day. Clinical trials are what delay the transition from mice to humans.

These are the facts, either accept them or an hero, I don't care which as long as you stop acting like such an obnoxious retarded fucking mongoloid.

>As a matter of fact I agree with you, a fact which I am ashamed of.
This makes you an idiot. Not even going to read the rest of your post. It's starting to dawn on me how very much time I spend on retards. I need to stop that.

Aubrey's Maintenance Approach reverses aging, doesn't slow it.

I agree on the fact that caloric restriction probably doesn't work so well in long lived animals like humans, as its effect is useful to make short lived animals live through famines during as much as 5 years, which is the lifespan of many little animals. Since when there is a famine they can't reproduce, a boost in their life duration at the cost of a slower development make them live through famines and reproduce after them. Since human lifespan's in the wild are usually already longer than famines, CR could be less effective. Although other things should be considered, as less sugars in the blood for example slow down the accumulation of protein crosslinks, one of the SENS damages of aging.

very convenient, retard

We have flying cars, we just call them helicopters.

Actually the main difference between Aubrey's approach and the "mess with metabolism approach" is that the first one reverses aging, it incredibly simpler and has less potential side effects, while the latter (CR included in it, with stuff as telomeres lengthening) could cause cascade side effects or simply don't work just because we don't know even what we don't know about how metabolism works, and how it produces the damages of aging. But we know what the damages of aging are, and we know they are only 7. So Aubrey's approach aims to repair the damages instead of messing with metabolism in order to avoid them happening.

Aubrey de Grey's recent TED in which he explains the strategy SENS is using in order to reverse aging.

youtu.be/AvWtSUdOWVI

why does he look so weird

He a prophet

I really hope Aubrey's idea of repair damage works and these therapies are available before it's too late for me because I'm a brainlet and it takes me forever to learn stuff so I hope to get more time.

I have a pic, will post tomorrow if this thread stays alive

Superior neonazi genes.

Of course it won't. He's focused on cleaning up litter around an ever-growing fucking landfill.

In other words: nothing.

Yeah and everyone has one. Because you know, we've had them long enough that they're cheap, of course.

I could take half a shit and it would be better at extending life than Aubrey de Grey. Aubrey's approach IS the "mess with metabolism" approach. Right now one of their biggest efforts is fucking with the mitochondrial genome. Metabolism isn't aging. Your Mitochondria lineage will literally live longer than you will. You can't solve aging by trying to fix something that already outlasts you. I'm REALLY starting to get the impression that de Grey DOES NOT WANT to extend human life, for some reason (probably donors). Who knows? Maybe they're actually working on it in private, and like with the space program, the snake oil is what the public gets. I mean Calico won't talk to anyone about what they're doing.

>Aubrey's Maintenance Approach reverses aging, doesn't slow it.
Aubrey doesn't HAVE a maintenance approach. If the dumb fucker did, he'd be working on a whole-body stem cell rejuvenation. The only thing we lack in that technology is preventing the stem cells from immediately activating upon re-introduction to the body. So just encapsulate them. I mean fuck, this isn't...what's something harder than rocket science, because that's not hard either?

Hey, Aubrey, you fucking dumbass, you can go ahead and steal that idea and make money off of it, you fucking loser. Since you can't be assed to do anything intelligent yourself.

>all this other shit
You're making the same retarded mistakes the """"gerontologists"""" are making. You're not studying the causes of aging. You're diddling around with minor bodily inconveniences. The body doesn't age because it "wears out" and gets too much gunk built up in the fuel lines. It's not a fucking car. Your body DIES because its cells FUCKING DIE.

funfact: all of silicon valley is constantly on some kind of anti ageing regimen eating 100 pills aday like pacman

It's not working.

Aubrey De Gray looks like complete shit. This is him at 45? He looks fucking 65

Give it to me straight guys.

I'm 28 years old and in decent health.

What are the chances I'm going to achieve immortality in my lifetime?

>The only thing we lack in that technology is preventing the stem cells from immediately activating upon re-introduction to the body. So just encapsulate them.
Is it seriously that easy?
Are there companies/people working on this very thing?

Do you mean liposomal stem cells or something?

>Is it seriously that easy?
Who knows? Nobody's even trying. Nobody even has mentioned it because everyone's focusing on shit that's fucking stupid.

And who the fuck are you? What are your credentials?

0% since lifetime implies a finite period of time

if I want to look into the anti-aging technique you are talking about

what should I google?

okay then what are the chances technology will advance to the point where I don't have to die if I don't want to

"How to start up a bio-tech company"

0% because there's no serious life extension movement at this point, and society is imploding so soon it won't even be on the table.

>society is imploding so soon
source?

Reality.

>real dictators
Putlercuck detected!

not an argument

tell me why you think society is imploding

Some companies (the majority in this list) and institutes working on reversing aging: Unity Biotechnology (human trials in some months), Oisin Biotechnologies, Juvenescence, SENS Research Foundation, CellAge, Ichor Therapeutics (human trials in some months), Salk Institute of Aging, Human Longevity INC, Biotime/AgeX, Organovo... there are others. I remember there is a company working on Yamanaka Factors but I can't remember its name.

Do you think they'll have aging solved before I die?
Was I born too late?
I'm 28

The maintenance approach rejuvenates. The mouse at the top of the image is rejuvenated thanks to senolytics. Not slowed down aging, but rejuvenation. Here the paper: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19485966 If you still argue you are a lost cause.

Scroll up in the discussion to see the rejuvenated mouse image

This doesn't demonstrate anything, as we still don't have anti-aging therapies, and he doesn't take any supplement. Regardless, his biological age is much younger than his chronological.

If you are 28 you have a pretty good chance. The people unsure are the ones in their 50s-60s.

>If you are 28 you have a pretty good chance.
What evidence do you base this on?

wow that seems pretty cool.
does it create stem cells and regrow damaged tissue etc?

>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19485966

You must have posted the wrong paper. This has nothing to do with senolytics.

Find the correct one. I'm interested.

WHOOPS, you are right! This is the one: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3468323/

>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3468323/

>Clearance of p16Ink4a-positive senescent cells delays ageing-associated disorders
>delays

So it doesn't reverse aging, it only delays it.
So what?
You said it rejuvenates/reverses.

>What evidence do you base this on?
The fact that the first age reversing therapies are almost in human clinical trials (Company: Unity Biotechnology). Also everyone is very bullish about Yamanaka Factors (salk.edu/news-release/turning-back-time-salk-scientists-reverse-signs-aging/), and George Church recently said we only need 5 more years in order to reverse aging in humans for the first time. Very big investments (the new Jim Mellons company for example: endpts.com/british-billionaire-jim-mellon-and-high-profile-partners-roll-the-dice-on-an-anti-aging-upstart/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Wednesday July 26 2017&utm_content=Wednesday July 26 2017 CID_8bda3a0aeb7a0ac0517ce072a4cf9dbe&utm_source=ENDPOINTS emails&utm_term=British billionaire Jim Mellon and high-profile partners roll the dice on an anti-aging upstart) are finally here too. It seems basic anti-aging science is beginning to be finally profitable for companies. That's why Aubrey is saying that he wants to "put SENS out of business" by pushing the basic science far enough so as for profit companies come out for all the damages of aging. Check this: leafscience.org/sens-where-are-we-now/

>it only delays it.
At some level you only need to delay until more repairs can be made, which buys more time, etc etc.

Live long enough to live indefinitely.

I am 62 and I think it is too late for me.

>I am 62 and I think it is too late for me
Are you taking supplements/precautions/treatments?

It is written "delays" because it reverses it in a stage of the mouse's life, but then the treatment is not enough alone to extend the mouse's life indefinitely (so if you reapply the treatment multiple times you'll get diminishing returns and the mouse will eventually die, due to the other aging damages). To do such a thing it should be integrated by the treatments for the other 6 SENS's damages. And even with the other 6 therapies, you can't be sure that some other kind of damages will come out later. But by definition every therapy reverses the damage it tackles (so a part of aging). While "messing with metabolism" slows down damages, and do not reverse them.

okay cool
outside of the 6 SENS's damages are there other factors that cause aging?

>Oh everything is more expensive now than it was in the 50s?
Thanks to central banks mostly.

How does CRISPR play into all of this?

Would we be able to reset our dna back to the way it was when we were born?

There is debate about Genomic Instability as presented in The Hallmarks of Aging: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3836174/
But the damages (the SENS's 7 damages or the Hallmark's 9 damages) are complete for a normal human lifespan (and so the only things you have to reverse). It could be that some other damages will come out in a 150 year lifespan, but if you live to 150 years you'll probably see these new damages cured too.

CRISPR is useful where cuts into the DNA are needed... so for expressing the mitochondrial DNA in the nucleus, or for engineering the immune system to target cancer. I don't think it will be used to modify the human nuclear DNA though, because this is not necessary in order to cure the damages.

I hope this happens.
I just hope society doesn't collapse before this time.

>because this is not necessary in order to cure the damages.
Okay but wouldn't your dna mutate way too much over time even if they can prevent your dna from causing cancer? Wouldn't this heavily mutated dna cause other issues?

The reason people like Kurzweil are constantly saying 20 years away is to try to hype the field and generate public interest. No-one seeing this is going to live forever - we are in the last couple of generations to die.

>Okay but wouldn't your dna mutate way too much over time even if they can prevent your dna from causing cancer? Wouldn't this heavily mutated dna cause other issues?

Yes, absolutely it will. We don't know if it does in a normal human lifespan, or if it will in a elongated lifespan, but DNA damages, other than causing cancer, will for sure generate other problems in the long term. There are already some solutions for this problem being tested, like Yamanaka Factors, that are cell signals that restructure the DNA and the nucleus, effectively rejuvenating the cell. Normally what Yamanaka Factors do is converting a human cell in a pluripotent stem cell, but if you regulate the dose to be small enough they will just have the effect of rejuvenating the cell.

Kurzweil is totally not relevant here. Let's just forget about his blabbering.

interesting stuff

>Yamanaka Factors
what exactly is this? A supplement or something?
Can I buy it?

No, they are 4 factors, and they are not still tested in human clinical trials (the trials would cost 100+M dollars and last many years). They will not be supplements, but drugs with a very very noticeable effect if they work as expected.

We need public awareness because the clinical trials are super costly, and the government must finance them, or at least rich privates. SENS's project|21 to bring all the 7 damages in human clinical trials by 2021 ask for 50M for example (sensproject21.org). Human clinicals trials are so costly because thousands of people are involved and a lot of bureaucracy and post-trial analyses too.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Why aren't people researching this more?

The basic science is super underfunded too right now, although to finance it crowdfunding is an option (check lifespan.io for an example of crowdfunded anti-aging science based on the SENS approach).

Ok. A big reason I think people are too optimistic is that aging probably has thousands of contributing causes. Once we've solved one, more will crop up in that one's place, perhaps caused by it. There's such a high chance of unknown unknowns that I can't see this generation being anything but the test generation. We will help to nail down that oh, this stem cell drug causes mutation - oh, woops, we need a decent brain surgery procedure to deal with eventual over-connectivity - gosh, and it turns out that causes psychotic breaks within 10 years, who knew?

I'm no expert, but get a general sense that this is a much more complex problem than it's presented as, and there's going to be a lot of misunderstandings in the first few decades - and I don't really see biology as something which can be tinkered with endlessly, correcting the mistakes causes by your solutions last year 15 times.

We might get an extra couple decades, but we're not going to be the ones who live forever - that comes once we've ironed out the kinks.

That's why the maintenance approach exist: to avoid tinkering with biology, and just repair the few kind of damages we know. Aubrey's talks and his book are very illuminating on this.

Well then, it just seems oddly unlikely to me that immortality can be achieved by making small tweaks. A car you do maintenance on still has to have basically all it's part swapped out by a hundred years. There are parts of the human body we don't even understand yet, and we are nowhere near being able to replace.

But parts of the body do replace themselves already! It's just that the system is more likely to malfunction with age.

>eventual over-connectivity
please explain what you mean by this?

Can't they do it countries where it's cheaper?

not him, but please elaborate.

the sad fact is average life expectancy is FALLING in the US right now... quite disturbing but its true.