When did universities start to become about pseudo-activism?

When did universities start to become about pseudo-activism?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DRuIvdbr1fU
politico.com/story/2016/10/donald-trump-shy-voters-polls-gop-insiders-230411
infowars.com/fox-comedy-features-6yo-trans-boy-wearing-bondage-gag/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

When I reached the age of 19 and raped a magpie.

When I found /pol/

former 60s radicals got domesticated by the liberal managerial state. Don't worry, it's pretty much over. And what's coming is going to be worse if that's even posible

Pro-tip: study for actually worthy degree and not a 'well-read coffee server' one.

>wah wah wah I don't want to have any of my beliefs challenged
>wah wah wah I don't want to actually be a part of an intellectual community
>wah wah wah I want to continue to be coddled by faceless and passionless authority figures

You should have just gone to a trade school. Liberal education is for those who like to think about things in a more general way, and it is impossible to think well about anything without some kind of stimulation in that area. Now, I would be the first to point out that modern liberal education frequently fails to live up to its true mission of the fostering of a general way of thinking that is both rigorous and subtle. But that is not because your professors express their opinions. If anything, it is because of the influence of people like you, who think that higher education is just paying $80000 for a piece of paper.

t. professor

>leftists
>"""Intellectuals"""

And conservatives always wonder why there aren't more right-wing intellectuals.

You should have studied permaculture, bought land in the southern hemisphere before it was too late, but now you are stuck with a useless CS degree and nowhere to run.

>>wah wah wah I don't want to have any of my beliefs challenged
But this is exactly what university 'safe spaces' are all about, is it not?

>'safe spaces'
actually it's about the banal medicalisation of power. Our society is one huge lunatic asylum regardless of who's running it.

Is it? I think the safe space thing has been overblown by conservative talking heads, they have a similar thing at the California state university where I go but it's literally used for naps and studying, like a satellite of the library.

youtube.com/watch?v=DRuIvdbr1fU

you are literally defending this

Exactly. Those people actually go out and change the world instead of spending years in pointless theorizing and demagoguery to leave a grand legacy of several dozen footnotes in academic texts discussing the very same theorizing and demagoguery. There are those who build the world and those who stand around discussing them. Deal with it.

Since always.

People think that college is ultra left because the vast majority of right-wing voters' highest level of education is high school and think that higher learning is a waste of time if they can just go out and work at the local factory/go back to the farm.

Nice projection m8.

>Higher education is a waste of time if you can work at a factory or go back to the farm
It kinda is tho today. I have more information at my fingertips and access to literature than any other time. If you go to college you are simply paying for that departments unique curation of information they believe is most important. Meanwhile I just went to my local libraries book sale and bought catch 22 for ยข50.... Higher education is quite possibly the biggest fuckover of our day.

I dunno. My college experience wasn't too bad, but I went to an economic university and studied engineering.

I got a Spanish minor and the was one professor in particular who gave zero shits about her Spanish Lit class aside from using it as a soapbox for advocating open borders.

> youhavetogoback.gif

>liberals
>"leftists"

>There are those who build the world and those who stand around discussing them.

Conservatives? I'm not so sure I agree, a large point of conservatives in maintenance and living the status quo, unless your example of 'build the world' is stuff like infrastructure and finance. Anyway, I see where you're coming from, but if you cannot see how John Rawls, Marx, Chomsky, Singer, et al. are just as influential as (if not more so), say, Peter Thiel, Jack Welch, Murdoch, and so on, then you are everything that's wrong with the right-wing movement today.

>college is there to help you absorb a set amount widely available information and certify it
Wew. Who'd have thunk it.

Yeah, sorry, you can't link your Goodreads list on your resume

You can believe whatever the fuck you want as a professor (if you're tenured;) if you aren't being hounded constantly by management or a boss you tend to become liberal by the nature of your job.

Right-wing thought was just as good and influential, you just don't see it because the Nazis lost WW2.

Well, you can't blame her, there are only one or two Spanish writers worth discussing

Lol too bad I'm going to inherit the farm you fucking wagecucks. Also, consider the following; why isn't reliable work history and an eloquent, well spoken interview worth anything? I'd much rather employ the man who never missed a day of full time work in 4 years who is also well spoken and mature than some kid with no real work experience except for getting a c degree in some humanities major. Obviously college is necessary STEM but that's about it.

That's true, but that's the past---I'm saying the right is losing the intellectual/higher education war against the left and their only response seems to be "liberal arts and philosophy and literature are dumb anyway."

>conflating right-wing with conservatism
>conflating left-wing with progressivism
Just stahp. Of course I'm not denying there are prominent influential thinkers on both sides. My primary point was about degrees and not political alignment anyways.

ITT
>in society, everyone should play the exact same role

>Just stahp.

Left-wing encompasses liberalism and progressivism; leftist is closer to progressive, though.

>My primary point was about degrees and not political alignment anyways.

Mine too. Conservatives *and* right-wingers need to obtain more liberal arts degrees, not less, if they want to win the culture/philosophy war.

>a solid portfolio is better than a degree in creative jobs
Wew. Who'd have thunk it. Tell us more.

There's lots of shady hard right academics to go around. In fact, they've been far more influential than Chomsky, who's merely allowed on TV every once in a while. The idpol 'beyonce studies' crowd is utterly nonthreatening as it fulfils a confessional and exculpatory role for capitalism, hyping the latest 'woke' commodities.

The Neocons did more to define the course of history than all the post new left tenured radicals put together. The Trump administration is under heavy influence from Paleocons like Paul Gottfried and NrXers like Curtis Yarvin, who just has half a computer science degree

I'm a hardcore leftist but wow, that teacher was a complete drama bitch. I even feel bad for the totally not /pol/ student.

'progressivism' in the american context is just a marketing term for managerial neoliberalism 'with a human face'. The original early 20th progressives were bourgeoisie protestants who were for public enforcement of morality ie. prohibition and tossing scraps to the working class stave off the prospect of revolution. Nothing even remotely left about it.

Closer doesn't mean the same as.

As the farm boy rightfully pointed out in this thread you don't really need a degree to be well versed in humanities and critical thinking is in much higher supply in natural sciences et al. I see your general point about education, but it's not really a relevant one. There is no philosophical war. The right has won on economic policies, the left on social. There are some overreaches on both sides and people are going back and forth from protesting batshit insane trade agreements to protesting retarded migration policies, but that's just normal fluctuations in my opinion. Slowly we're going to find the optimal solution to all those problems.

>There's lots of shady hard right academics to go around.

Neoliberal economics professors? Regardless, studies show the liberal arts are overwhelmingly left.

>The Neocons did more to define the course of history than all the post new left tenured radicals put together.

You mean the people influenced by Kristol, Fukuyama, Strauss (who taught Wolfowitz), and so on? The prominent Palocons *are* intellectuals with liberal arts degrees, no? I'm not only saying the right needs more professors and academic researchers, just liberal arts minded individuals in general.

John Rawls is more influential than any paleocon.

>spouts propaganda
>I'm so intellectual pls gib grant moni
>pls gib
>pls im beggin u
Really poaches my eggs

Yes, the Chomsky bit is quite right. He's rather prolific scientifically, but politically he's divorced from reality and completely inept like so many other academics.

John Rawls is as milquetoast liberal as you can get, not quite the cultural marxist ZOG KGB boogeyman of the rightist imaginary

t. bibi netanyahu

because high school teaches an incomplete, simplified view of the world, in which everything is objective. college acknowledges the truth that the world is what you make of it, a total subjective mess in which opinions are the only things that truly exist. thus, the teacher is allowed and even encouraged to express their views on the world. and because only smart people are allowed in universities, those views are mostly leftist.

Careful with that, unbiased and rational thought is offensive to the ever common libtard. You don't want that user's blood on your hands do you? Pointing out how retarded they are is basically the same thing as raping them after all.

#FuckDrumpf

>only smart people are allowed in universities
This isn't true even for STEM degrees and it's laughable for humanities.

>college acknowledges the truth that the world is what you make of it, a total subjective mess in which opinions are the only things that truly exist
Except libtards preach their morality as the ultimate truth (see how they accuse all their opponents of being "uneducated" or "ignorant")
>thus, the teacher is allowed and even encouraged to express their views on the world. and because only smart people are allowed in universities, those views are mostly leftist.
kek

I love how this one married female poster ruins her anonymity by refusing to use capitals in every single thread

like wew lad

>tfw I join the liberal circle jerk in every class to ensure I get an A and without hesitating regurgitate the same cultural marxist garbage my peers enthusiastically offer all the while harboring pure and violent hatred for them and all they stand for while biding my time until I've gotten what I need so I can destroy them from a position of power
>mfw this is a thing
>mfw this was a shitstorm a while back
>politico.com/story/2016/10/donald-trump-shy-voters-polls-gop-insiders-230411 etc
>mfw they have no way of knowing the truth about me or anyone
>mfw I have no face

>cultural marxist
Back to /pol/, bby.

record = corrected
thanks user

Could you tell me what Cultural Marxism does? More specifically, how is it making society more Marxist?

>taking such an expansive definition of the word "liberal"
>liberal arts = muh leftist cucks

infowars.com/fox-comedy-features-6yo-trans-boy-wearing-bondage-gag/

But how does that help along the proletariat's revolution?

>talking rationally with a 16 year old /pol/tard

>a bad professor has expressed his opinion in a hamfisted and authoritarian way characteristic of a bad professor
>therefore no professor should ever express an opinion, especially if it is contrary to mine

you are literally defending this

1830 was a better time
1848 best year of my life tho

>falling for the intellectual meme

The subversion of local and often superior culture and norms by the installation and propagation of otherly cultures and norms, legitimizing the latter at the expense and demonization of the former pursuant to an artificial 'equality' of fundamentally unequal ideas and groups privileging the undeserved and irregular at the expense of the commonality, resulting in unnatural state of social degradation.

This is taking the underlying economic theories of Marxism and applying them in every facet of life, aimed at perverting and equalizing art, sex, literature, right, wrong, and so forth. It's just as Nietzsche said, the strong must be protected from the weak, modern and demented society glorifies the weak and revels in victimization.

Funnily enough, people dislike being told 2+2=5. The reactionary backlash this has caused is directly responsible for the recent surge in populism, for Brexit, for Trump, etc.. The cultural marxists of the world truly are idiots of the highest/lowest order. Not that I think it's a conscious act for most, they've been totally subsumed by ideology and are basically brainless automatons who with no grounding in reality anymore.

The subversion of local and often superior culture and norms by the installation and propagation of otherly cultures and norms, legitimizing the latter at the expense and demonization of the former pursuant to an artificial 'equality' of fundamentally unequal ideas and groups privileging the undeserved and irregular at the expense of the commonality, resulting in an unnatural state of social degradation.

This is taking the underlying economic theories of Marxism and applying them in every facet of life, aimed at perverting and 'equalizing' art, sex, literature, and so forth all the way to re appropriating even right and wrong. It's just as Nietzsche said, the strong must be protected from the weak, and modern society in its current demented form glorifies the weak, revels in victimization, and looks to remove the last vestiges of humanity whose very nature rebels towards the virtuous and true.

But all hope is not yet lost. People dislike being told 2+2=5. The reactionary backlash this evil has caused is directly responsible for the recent surge in populism, for Brexit, for Trump, etc which even failing to undo their efforts are proof of their ultimate futility. The cultural marxists of the world truly are idiots of the highest/lowest order. Not that I think it's a conscious act for most, they've been totally subsumed by ideology and are basically brainless automatons who with no grounding in reality anymore. I'd pity the beasts if only they weren't so contemptible.

#NotAllLiberals

nice b8 m8 I r8 it 8/8

>not understanding Marxism
>not understanding Nietzsche
>using retarded buzzwords to demonize opponents and channel hatred
You were told to fuck off in another thread already, bubbah.

t. reddit
>intellectual
m-muh will to truth

>not an argument
>not an argument
>not an argument
>being so assblasted you need to stalk posts and repeat your assblasts

>nothing is an argument
>assblasted
Go back to /pol/, child, please.

>infowars on Veeky Forums
pls kys :)

t. starbucks employee of the month

>Go back to /pol/, child, please.
The fucking HEIGHT of not an argument.

alongside some very trite personal attacks

really user your flatulence is most offensive

Sage is a spice xddddd you really got me man

I don't work, no need.

When the Right decided education was their fucking punching bag. So there are actually people who can claim, presumably with a straight face, that academics should be politically neutral--despite Republicans doing their damnedest to vilify, discredit, defund, obstruct and destroy the social fabric and institutions that make our careers possible? Let's be clear: if you are a professor, Republican politicians are your enemy, and it was their decision to start that war. There's no ambiguity there (and I teach in the humanities, which is the prime target for their idiocy). As another humanities professor said:

"The right has tried to dismantle the humanities under the false notion that the humanities indoctrinate. Actually, the humanities teach students to think independently, which is antithetical to the desire of ditto heads, who would much prefer an audience that absorbs talking points without facts. The right would much prefer thought control and Orwellian information control that would produce dittoheads who don't question and vote based upon disinformation and Fox-News propaganda. The humanities makes that oh so much more difficult to ram down the throats of a non-thinking electorate.

Do I sympathize with right-leaning hand-wringers whose jobs are made difficult by basic tenets of reason that have been the basis of western civilization for thousands of years? Boo hoo. No, I don't. Long live the humanities, and may they survive the current assaults on their influence."

>Those people actually go out and change the world instead of spending years in pointless theorizing and demagoguery to leave a grand legacy of several dozen footnotes in academic texts discussing the very same theorizing and demagoguery
and that children is why the left is winning the culture war

>and looks to remove the last vestiges of humanity whose very nature rebels towards the virtuous and true.
I was with you up until this point, the very reason we as a society arbitrarily subsidize the interest of one group over another and can be so swayed to iniquitous deeds is because mankind is fundamentally shit, if we tended towards the good we'd be in a utopia by now

this rousseauian notion of man is naturally good is ridiculous, society corrupts man? It's a chicken and egg problem then

it's called attention seeking

(You)
expertly crafted b8

>false notion that the humanities indoctrinate
>humanities teach students to think independently
>but we're being attacked by right wingers
>so it's justified to push lefty propaganda
Brilliant logic.

>the culture war meme
>he's not even alt-right
Why do you deliberately choose to be retarded?

Self-preservation is almost always logical.. If Republicans getting into office directly threatens your job, you're not likely to encourage that happening. When Republicans spend idiotic amounts of time trying to convince the general public that your job is at best useless, at worst some kind of treason, you'd have to be a moron to be disposed kindly towards them. That doesn't mean I tell students how to vote, but it does mean I feel no particular obligation to pretend I don't know who my enemies are. The loudest right-wing rhetoric, especially in recent years, is firmly anti-intellectual, anti-education, and anti-arts. They drew the battle lines: I'm just honoring them.

>facts
>reason
muh will to truth

You absolutely do indoctrinate.

Republicans don't like universities because they push liberal propaganda. And no, Democrats are not more pro-intellectual or pro-education at all. See their opposition to racial science.

jesus fuck when will /pol/ leave this board. stop lowering the level of discourse please

>my enemies lie about me being biased
>I'm not a moron so I'm going to actually be biased in response
W E W
E
W

No, my dear asshat, we don't. Indoctrination is teaching people to accept a set of beliefs uncritically. I work my ass off to force students to be skeptical and critical of everything, including me, including liberal ideology, including feminism, etc. I'm trying to make scholars, not unthinking left-wingers. The Right, by and large, does not return the favor. I'll shred a liberal author's essay and then a conservative author in the next breath. But once students can discern faulty arguments, confirmation bias, and bullshit, they tend to end up unimpressed by Trump and Fox News for some odd reason.

>skeptical
Except of, perhaps, the idea of skepticism itself, or any other nonsense Platonic ideal that has been propagated by Hellenophiles?

No, you certainly aren't biased, you're perfect and teach kids to be perfect and they just happen to agree with you because you're perfect!

Every liberal professor thinks this
>I teach my students to be skeptical of everything, except some things are just unquestionably true, that's just not right you fucking racist sexist bigots
The fact that you think that being educated precludes you from being right wing is proof enough of your bias.

by the way YOURE A FUCKING ASS FOR CRITICIZING ME THE RIGHT IS ALWAYS BAD AND THE LEFT IS GREAT NO ONE WOULD BE A FUCKING RACIST WHITE MALE IF THEY WERE GRACED BY MY PRESENCE

>"The right has tried to dismantle the humanities under the false notion that the humanities indoctrinate.
>The right would much prefer thought control and Orwellian information control that would produce dittoheads
this seems like a fair and balanced representation with no vested interests or ideas at all

>p-please indoctribate me professor sensei.

This is a new low. Even for Veeky Forums.

I can see you're confused, so I'll try to use small words. I am biased because I'm human, and because right-wing politicians hate the humanities. There are no utterly unbiased teachers. That doesn't mean I can't teach critical thinking and awareness of bias to students. I point out my own biases in class, and expect them to learn their own. I'm not interested in students sharing my social and political beliefs, I'm interested in them being able to break out some of their preconceptions, and explore some areas they haven't, and realize some of the bullshit they've been taught.

They hate the humanities because they force their bias on others. You are a threat to them, so isn't it logical that they hate you?

Is this only justified when you hate them for threatening you?
>I'm interested in them being able to break out some of their preconceptions, and explore some areas they haven't, and realize some of the bullshit they've been taught.
yeah and when that happens they'll just magically agree with me because only stupid white males disagree with me!

Get your head out of your ass, you're an absolute joke.

And why would the professor who said that (I assume you noticed I was quoting, since I said so), be unbiased? Why would anyone be stupid enough to pretend to have no vested interests? That quote isn't from a lecture, it's from Facebook.

as any authority figure presenting as anything but neutral is a betrayal of the truth you're afforded

it's natural for students to associate rightness and emulate authority figures, regardless of how you dress it up

betrayal of the trust*

freudian slip :^)

>it is possible to present yourself neutrally
As if, even being neutral IS a political position.

dominant culture != superior culture

if it were superior it wouldn't be overwritten

>hurr durr not part of the problem part of the solution
you've all the wisdom of a bumper sticker user

Of course they're justified in hating me, but not because I "force my biases" on anyone (I seriously doubt I've ever changed some die-hard conservative student's political views) . I am their fucking enemy because I'm an educator and they feed off ignorance. Should I be sympathetic to the argument "if you teach people to distinguish between fact and fiction and think skeptically and independently, they tend to be more liberal, and that interferes with our plans"?

Not an argument, and spoken like someone who DEFINITELY does not personally have to deal with the problem.

You're running in circles.
>Should I be sympathetic to the argument "if you teach people to distinguish between fact and fiction and think skeptically and independently, they tend to be more liberal, and that interferes with our plans"?
Nobody says that. Your bias is that you think that "critical thinking" students will tend to be more liberal, which is false.