When it comes to reading, what would you expect from a partner?

When it comes to reading, what would you expect from a partner?

Would you be willing to settle for someone who doesn't read at all?

Or could you only be with someone who was an avid reader?

I(me) would fuck whatever vagina i could, if you ask me.

>When it comes to reading, what would you expect from a partner?
I really don't care. I don't need anything more than a good, faithful woman that puts up with my shit and whose own shit isn't too difficult to tolerate

That picture has to be satirical. I was at a bar a couple months ago talking to a girl who was doing her undergrad in English (and was a huge cutie) and I asked her about he favourite books. She said if "She had to pick one it would be the original Harry Potter." She also added that she was going to England to do her post grad the next year.

Anyways yeah I could date a girl that didn't read.

My wife reads, mostly garbage though. Which is kinda funny since shes the one that's "educated" and has a masters degree. Sometimes i wish she read similar books to me so we could talk about them instead of me having to come here.

If the read actual literature it's nice but nowhere near a requirement.
On that note though I'd much rather someone who doesn't read at all than someone who only reads YA/Goodreads-core shit

I would rather have a STEM partner, since when I do find a woman who reads, she either is in college reading literature that was forced on her and using it to find social position, or reads absolute garbage.

At least I know my wife has a deep professional knowledge of anatomy and pharmacology and a PhD when I see her reading Vampire Protagonist series bought at walmart.

Well I don't need my partner to share every single interest that I have.
That said, I probably could not be with someone who reads nothing at all since reading is the only way to not be a complete ignorant.

I actually think I'd prefer to date a girl who didn't really read at all so my unearned elitism wouldn't be an issue.

>I actually think I'd prefer no to date a girl at all so my unearned elitism wouldn't be an issue.

I just want someone who isn't vapid. That might necessitate their being a reader to an extent, but if I met someone who could hold up a challenging conversation and they didn't read, it wouldn't be a dealbreaker. By the same token, being a reader on its own doesn't mean much to me.

>Would you be willing to settle for someone who doesn't read at all?
I don't know. My best friend doesn't read at all. Sometimes, I get existential crisis when I remember, and I go through the 5 stages of grief in quick succession. So... I don't think so.

>Or could you only be with someone who was an avid reader?
No, not that either. As long as they read, that would be enough. Sharing a hobby is a good thing, but concessions are always made in a relationship.*

*There are exceptions where I'd put my foot down.

great post

>phd
>shops at walmart
dude?

flyover country is a real thing.

I'm not in a position of being able to demand anything from a possible partner.

I've had boyfriends on either side.

I generally don't give a fuck. If they read we'll just argue about them being wrong and dumb with their opinions.

In the words of a wise webcomic character:
>I just want a girlfriend that hates everything I hate, except me

I'd certainly like to have a gf with whom I could discuss literature and attend shows, but hobby crossover isn't really essential. All I really ask is she be cute, caring, and with a solid head on her shoulders.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I try to get my gf to read. I gave her Lonesome Dove because it was probably the most beginner friendly book I had and she hasn't finished it yet. On the other hand she loved Gatsby when we were juniors in high school so that has to mean something....right?

All my partners have been fairly avid readers, even if their taste wasn't always especially literary. If you don't like books, fuck off.

Gatsby is a mainstay of the junior high school girl pseudo intellectual kit.

>"educated" and has a masters degree
Your inferiority complex is showing through, my mang.

nothing in particular

I guess it'd be nice if they liked reading at least something, you know, wasn't one of those people who've really read 0 books outside their education

it isn't that important to have totally matching interests, but of course, we'd need to have something to share, do and talk about together, but that could be books or it could be something else. as long as they wouldn't look down on reading, it would be fine either way.

Really, user, the most beginner friendly book you can think of is 800 pages long?

Underrated post, desu

When it comes to women you only need to care about three things

(1) her relationship with her father
(2) her past relationships
(3) and if you are attracted to her physically

If all three of those things check out then what she likes doesn't really matter because they'll sort of fall in line with the above. She'll still be a pleb but she'll be a pleb but she won't be reading degenerate shit that she lets affect her real world actions

>tfw comp lit major
fuck OP pic no one in this program would ever bother with that garbage
LotR is nice for english majors, because muh fantasy

Since I'm only interested in adolescents, reading is somewhat irrelevant since what is expected of them is YA.

The wife reads shit. I think the last thing she read was renowned author Dan Brown's Inferno. I don't really care though, when it comes to her buying books for me she's meticulous.

I dunno man. Maybe it is. But at the end of the day i make twice as much money as her and her favorite books are harry potter.

>When it comes to women you only need to care about three things
Wrong.

Just a kind and sound soul.

give us an update OP did you shut him down

>tfw my gf has a much more coherent and responsible reading habit than mine
>she actually starts with foundational texts and comentaries on texts while I just stick to what I like with some flavor of the month now and then
>she can speak 5 languages and I only speak 3 and scratch another one maybe

Women are either plebs or plebs trying to act like a patrician
I'd rather date a pleb than a retarded pseud

This is great. Surround yourself with people better than you and you become a better person.

How tf can you be an "ignorant"?

I want them to be better than me, specifically when it comes to argumentation. They'll need some reading for that

>Would you be willing to settle for someone who doesn't read at all?

If they somehow did the above without reading then sure.

I don't really care if they have similar interests as me.

It's how they talk and think. If they do that well then who cares what they are talking or thinking about.

>boyfriends
Are you gay senpai

At least Michael Chrichton is fun. State of Fear was one of my favourites as a kid

My ex read genre fiction, for which I would tease her. I would gladly give the rest of my long life to have her back for one day and die next to her.

your long life of one day? deal, here's your girlfriend back so you die instantly, and she's standing next to your corpse for a day.

I want them to be better than me, specifically when it comes to argumentation. They'll need some reading for that

Mentally stable heterosexual men do not want this trait in their partners.

>you will be forever disappointed in your relationships with women

Don't you ever embarrass me like that ever again you son of bitch.

>Mentally stable heterosexual men do not want this trait in their partners.

You want a girl that is less reasonable and logically informed than you? That's retarded and you should feel bad for saying that

> Masters in
> (...) Literature
> Has not read LotR yet
lol
wut

Contemporary Literature as well
that chick has not chosen the right degree if she's doing a masters in that and hasn't read the Lord of the Rings

its a dude

>Tips fedora

worse!
sad!

I love this post.
>possible partner

Y'all niggaz fucked up in the head. "Boo hoo I need a girl who likes same things I do" - were you brought up on an intellectual diet of women's magazines and daytime TV? Makes you sound like you didn't have a proper male role model while growing up. Get an ugly chick who can cook well (don't settle for a fat one though)

This desu

My girlfriend writes theater pieces, loves Beckett, DFW, Houellebecq, and we just had a discussion about the Unabomber's Manifesto.

Yeah, very remote future I'd say.

Girls who read serious literature are loose and disgusting in my experience. They make good friends, but I'd prefer a girl who doesn't read.

lucky cunt, enjoy yourself dude

went on my first date in about a year last week and qt student recommended I read Dr. Zhivago

>expect
Why would I expect anything from my partner.

I'm not a schoolmaster so I'm not gonna sit there expecting school reports. I'm not buying gf either, unfortunately, so I'm not expecting her to fulfil any specific details I've ordered online.

And your expectations are unimportant. Whether someone reads is the tiniest bit of themselves you could pick. People are beyond complicated, beyond deep, and whether you read or not is not. It's hollow.

That said, I would die for a qt Veeky Forumsgf.
Beginner shit doesn't exist beyond prose style. People read stuff that's interesting. If it's interesting and doesn't require much in the way of acclimatising to its prose, it's good for beginners.

Hence, War and Peace can be for beginners, and so can Notes, and so can -- as we've seen -- Tolkien and the Count of Monte Cristo and other stuff.

>People are beyond complicated, beyond deep
what people? aint met any like that

>reason
>logic
Top kek

My girlfriend reads pretty much nothing but young adult fiction. Like vampire and demon hunter tier stuff. She's also really into the Stephanie plum series. It's kind of sucks that I can't talk to her about books, but oh well. She is pretty cool otherwise.

Sure you have! You count.

But everyone else, it is true, you never "meet" -- you only meet what you see. Which is indeed shallow.

I'd rather date someone who DOESN'T READ AT ALL than someone who reads pop lit. One has not experienced anything yet; the other has been permanently destroyed, and nothing will raise her out of that filth.

This t b q h w y f

Honestly, I wouldn't criticise them if they simply read frequently.

During my last relationship, I remember my ex reading TCoL49 (on my rec) and Therese Raquin, but she must have meted out one book every four/five months. 95% of her life was basically Netflix or Facebook and that's what bugged me the most. She'd buy loads of books and not read any of them - I took a couple when we broke up.

And yeah, she loved writing fan fiction. I can't imagine how many times I asked her why a 22 year old girl would still be into writing about Harry Potter but there you go. An ill-fated romance from the start.

my diary desu

tfw thought having a gf would get me to stop coming here