How does one measure IQ of an animal?

How does one measure IQ of an animal?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cbSu2PXOTOc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

One does not.

There is an entire Wikipedia article on animal cognition.

A very basic method was to use a mirror, and check to see if the animal recognises itself (or looks for marked areas in a blind spot), and so proves that it has an understanding of its own existence.
This can be invalidated by the cultural limitations of the animal though, as gorillas almost always fail because looking at another one in the eyes is seen as extremely aggressive, preventing an otherwise intelligent animal from being able to recognise its reflection. The one exception that I know about was a gorilla that was raised by humans and had no prior gorilla contact.

Only feed them if they can solve puzzles.
youtube.com/watch?v=cbSu2PXOTOc

A thing I thought of is what if the animal is self aware, but not smart enough to understand minors.

How does one see that the animal recognises itself in the mirror? What would be the signs?

Am I the only that think a dog that can make sticks pass through matter is more impressive than a dog tilting it's head?

I've never liked the idea of the mirror test, like what user said here: >In the classic MSR test, an animal is anaesthetised and then marked (e.g. painted, or a sticker attached) on an area of the body the animal cannot normally see. When the animal recovers from the anaesthetic, it is given access to a mirror. If the animal then touches or investigates the mark, it is taken as an indication that the animal perceives the reflected image as itself, rather than of another animal.

I honestly dont think this is a good test of 'self-awareness', only a test of understanding how a mirror works.

I think its wholly possible an animal could be self-aware but not understand that a mirror is a reflection of itself.

I mean, when an animal (lets say doggo) is around a species all day that may as well be using magic (humans) it probably stop trying to understand how their magic works, like mirrors, light bulbs and such

The negro IQ has been measured already and is retarded.

what the fuck how did the crow figure it out so quickly?

fpbp

My dog ignores his own reflection in the mirror.

But he also ignores every TV, monitor, and photograph. Like if it's not "real" he doesn't acknowledge it.

Same. Shit's weird.

Bird neurons are smaller than mammalian so they can have brains as complex as primates despite being smaller.

You paint an area where the animal cannot see itself without looking in a mirror, like between their eyes. If the animal acknowledges the discoloring or tries to remove it, you can be pretty certain that the animal is self-aware and therefore conscious.

Sorry but you sound like a brainlet, like you lack basic understanding of the concept.

Lol.

Sad but true.

Personally, I always liked the idea of one of the tests to establish the intelligence of alien life; namely its ability to communicate with its own species.

I forget its name

Very weak test. Don't think I've ever seen a dog that ever gave a fuck about something like that, even in a place they could easily see.

Dogs are simply not conscious enough, but appear smarter to humans than they really are since they evolved to react to human stimuli.