Study for 12 hours a day for a month

>study for 12 hours a day for a month
>get 65% overall in my 1st year exams at university

>that guy who studied for only a few hours and still managed to get over 80% in his exams despite having an active social life and was in a relationship

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eVajQPuRmk8&t=4s
youtube.com/watch?v=IlU-zDU6aQ0
youtube.com/watch?v=RH95h36NChI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Die with the rest brainlet.

depends on the quality of studying too. If you study for 12 hours with loud distracting music and constantly being interrupted, it could have been worse than studying for just 2 hours of laser focus.
also someone will always do better than you. You'll always do better than someone else (or you shouldnt be in college). comparing yourself isnt really helpful

I have met a few of these super humans. Everything is trivial for them.

Still, you can get quite far with hard work, slogging it through the problems. In the end I got a PhD.

not everyone is equally naturally smart. accept it and do the work to get through the program or find an alternative.

Why would you guys get mad at 65 percent at a high level maths class? Teachers often curve grades.

Your teachers does curve grades, right OP?

I always study while listening to classical music though.

When I get in my exam mode, I seriously can study for 12 hours straight doing exam papers after exam papers.

Its just depressing that all those hours I spent just resulted in a 65% while chad got 82% with minimal effort and superior genes.

some people are just better than others
when it comes to you, probably most are

Did you actually listen and write down everything you could in class? Did you do the required reading and assignments? Did you talk to the professor when you felt confused? Almost everything else is just making up for how you failed to focus earlier.
I get that some subjects are just easier for people, but if you're not doing well 1st year, there's probably something very wrong with your approach to learning or something in your life that's preventing a reasonable approach from working.

Study the exams, not the material. You'll soon learn that school is a big scam with regards to "learning".

>i always do this retarded thing
>fails

its still music retard, no matter how good it is you're still distracting some part of your brain to listen to it

Its better to study in chunks so every time you are studying you're focused on what you're doing and learning, instead of studying for most of the day and having periods where you arent that focused because you've been sitting there for so fucking long. Studying isnt a power contest, so stop treating it like one. If you arent studying smart you arent studying well

>no pause
>no self-analysis with a step back

Oh, found the problem.
Try this ; on afternoon, take three hours to work on ONE exam paper, with like a 20min pause or two 10min pauses.
After that, take a big break, two hours, eat, nap, chill, read...
Then, take another hour and a half to read a correction of the exam paper you just take. Just read it, try to understand it, write down the passages that seems blurry to you. Then stop and go have a social life ; parents, friends, gf, ect...
Next day, on the morning, re-read what you've done the day before. Search for mistakes, correct them. Find what you couldn't do, and see if you can now. When stuck, finally, see the correction and work specially this part, see if you have something on the topic on your lecture, and try memorizing.
After 2-3 hours of this, stop, eat, chill, talk to ppl.
Afternoon, restart all of this with a new exam paper.

You'll probably learn way better. Keep in mind ;
a) pause are important
Do some.
b) short pause and long pause are two different things
Short = in a middle of one long task
Long = between two different tasks
c) social interaction is important
Keep your brain alive, functionnal and efficient.
d) healthy diet and sleep rythm are important
Don't screw them for more time of work, it isn't worth it.

T. Math teacher.

There's something called talent, moron, which you obviously don't have and never will.

You're overtired and compartmentalizing.

You "study" for 12 hours a day. What are you learning? What logical frameworks are you incorporating the information into? What tree structures are you incorporating it into? What, of you, because you, and for you and your everyday life, are you associating any of it with?

Nothing. That's what. You're building a mess of details in a void, and of course, that mess largely gets pruned. You have to live a bit. Be you, whatever that means. Do your own stuff and think your own thoughts. I remember almost everything I hear and read. It's because I've traced out the connections between things, how things work, and have a sufficiently generalized framework of knowledge that things simply click into place.

Meticulousness is often a consequence of crude methods and lacking underlying infrastructure. "Studying" is bullshit. Learn to use mnemonics if you don't know where to start with your own personal methods.

wtf I love heavy psychedelic use now

>It's because I've traced out the connections between things, how things work, and have a sufficiently generalized framework of knowledge that things simply click into place.

Enlightened user, please tell me how you learn. I suffer the same problems that OP has. Are there any other methods besides mnemonics that you use? Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't mnemonics just for memorization? What methods do you use for a true understanding of concepts (so that you're able to apply them) and not just for memorization?

Today's study ing is more of a " Memorize everything "

It's mostly automatic at this point. I'm in a decent amount of pain, but I'll try to explain as directly and mechanically as possible.

In high school I began to try to bring into view the low level bounds of how memory worked, worked well, and could be made to work. Did of evaluating associative tree-like structures, that exist within broader logical frameworks. A logical framework is composed of relative truths weighted by apparent probability, every truth is reliant on another truth that is reliant on other truths. This forms logic chains. Every step in one's chain of reasoning is composed of its own logical chain, which draws in various elements that map to whatever stuff. Which then afford the means to see contrast between things, which then allows you to branch and associate things further. Another structure was more like a pillar, which was a macro idea that other things could be strung along, or relative to. Pillars can be contradictory, at first.

I tend to think visually / spatially. But once you bring all of this into view in an orderly form, certain kinds of layering, certain relationships, and certain patterns form between elements. I also worked on creating false memories and solidifying them, and "deleting" (iteratively stripping associative links that afford the means for recollection from a cluster of information). I'm not so keen on those avenues. Generally these days if I need to temporarily store a large set of information I'll just make false memories and do a few passes however to associate it with the things I need, and tag it as such the same way you would a dream, or daydream. It's faster and easier than verbal or other types of mnemonics. There are a number of ways to structure, associate, and store information. Which gets to the higher level aspects.
[...]

It seems you gotta learn how to learn, there a some courses online (edx, coursera) about techniches and information on how to study, in which mindset to study.

And there is a limit for human concentration, 6 hours, 4 hours even, of calm and collect study, while well rested and happy will problably be way more effective than 12 hours that you pushed yourself to study with little break.

In my mind, memory is just state. Whether you're a human, computer, or cell, and have clear decoding and signal transduction machinery, or a pile of rocks. At whatever scale, it is memory. Memory is the creator of reality, signalling and state change is just memory. No matter what sort of logical or signal processing machine you are, the universe has hard rules you are slave to. It has underlying logic that drives all things, and everything needs a means.

Imagine the task of walking around a large circular fixture with clothes hanging on it. You must stop when you reach the object you started with. How can this be done correctly?
-You store a representation of your surroundings, or a unique item and repeatedly check against it
-You tag the item you started with, and it serves as a signal to stop
-You count the number of elements in advance and increment a counter, checking if it is equal to the total
-Store an absolute distance and decrement it via some unit until it stops being non-zero

There seemingly is no other way. Every machine, every logical system, at every scale, must abide by this. And it requires a means. You see all the same constraints and solutions at work in computer science, which is just figuring the nature of computation in the universe. When you watch the flux of ions across a cell membrane, its logic reflects this. When you watch an ant colony, it behaves by similar signalling constraints. The key is to strip away false "difference", the underlying features things are composed of is all quite similar. There is more similarity than difference, and general rules form very good heuristics when it comes to realizing what you might not really understand, and ultimately storing it. It's just another facet of the same thing, at that point.

I wouldn't quite call it "lateral thinking", but some kind of abstraction to the most general case. This makes it much easier to store micro details within macro concepts.
[...]

Creativity is also coupled with awareness of detail, and aspects things you're seeing or experiencing are composed of. There are many different lenses. It is a good idea to develop and spend some time in each of them until they are traced out and relatively coherent.

As far as creativity and reasoning go, I would separate thought into two types, convergent, and divergent. Convergent thought is biased heavily towards using information already present in the set. Divergent thinking bounces between both and uses certain techniques to reach wider and bridge different types of information. Both can be used for iteration and creation. These both tie into memory and the manner of retention you'll have for a certain kind of input. Practicing visualization can be useful as well.

Dissociation and depersonalization can be useful. Remove yourself from the equation and try to frame things in terms of the underlying absolutes. Unravel how to do so. What it is, and what it did. Not what it felt, and not what it was to you or a given group. Some experiences are better stored this way, obviously some less.

At the base of every logical framework is one constant feature, the mind, and the senses. Obviously you can't get around that, and they cannot be reduced further. Therefore your framework of truths relative to truths is unfortunately reliant on a self referential truth. If you think of many possibilities and many ways of viewing things, this can be a large macro tinting of reality that has emotional / feeling context, and also can have things easily stick and ferment over time. For example, the statement "it is here". What is it to be an "it"? What is it to exist in a location? "It moved", motion being defined as a change in location. What is motion? Yet more nodes for things to become intertwined with.
[...]

>It's because I've traced out the connections between things, how things work, and have a sufficiently generalized framework of knowledge that things simply click into place.

Enlightened user, please tell me how you learn. I suffer the same problems that OP has. Are there any other methods besides mnemonics that you use? Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't mnemonics just for memorization? What methods do you use for a true understanding of concepts (so that you're able to apply them) and not just for memorization?

shit, I accidently reposted. Ignore

Another thing is "learning". As I see it, there are 3 main ways of learning from watching other people.
-Mimicry
Try to do what they're doing until you've developed structures to approximate their output.

-Emulation
Deliberately use structures you already have within to iterate and create elements that allow you to approximate their output.

-Reverse engineering
Use theory of mind, black box testing, and whatever else to gradually plot out the internal machinery someone could be using to generate an output, and attempt to make it work in your own mind. Whether it's actually accurate to the source is irrelevant, the mechanistic approach brings up a number of angles concerning how things are able to work, and this can all be used. Such a perspective often renders others fields to harvest, so to speak.

An important aspect is visualization and becoming aware of how you work. What errors you make. What information you lose. When you lose it. Then, why you may be losing it. Try to walk through a building you don't know very well, then later, walk through it in mind in as detailed a manner as possible. Listen to music, and try to replay it as close to the source as you can. Try to visualize sounds and smells, try to represent sounds as images. Repeat as necessary.

Philosophy is helpful. Solipsism is a viable avenue to develop a solid ontological and epistemological groundwork to base frameworks and error control on. It also gives a look into just how much of your view of context, meaning, and reality is formed solely by memory.

This is all a bit of a jumble you'll have to just parse through and use for whatever you want, but it's what comes to mind at the moment. That's ignoring the hard (patho)physiological angles that might be playing in, like diet, exercise, environment. Psychosocial environment, chronic stress, sleep deprivation. Etc. Caloric restriction and cacao can be good for elevating BDNF and potentiating survival of new neurons.

Um I know this sounds kind of weird, but cheese.

When i study i consume a rather large amount of cured cheese. Some of my friends say its rather unhealthy and I do admit I get weird looks at the library too.

It doest matter the brand, gouda or cheddar, cubed or sliced, I eat it all. Every nibble gets a scribble in the notebook. Sometimes I love spacing out sections for notes for each slice of Tilamook.

Started off as a game and now cheese is literally my study life. Problems started happening during exams because I couldnt bring the cheese I was used to studying with. But i dont think its a bad thing really.

Its really effectiv i suggest u try it too? I can guide you if you're into cheese.

>When I get in my exam mode, I seriously can study for 12 hours straight doing exam papers after exam papers.
>all those hours I spent just resulted in a 65%
Gee, there couldn't possibly be something wrong with your study habits. Keep bashing your head against the wall for 12 hours at a time. Sounds like it's really working.

I can see your acne from here.

Those methods aren't qualitatively different.
They are all just reverse engineering, but with multiple degrees of development.

Man if I weren't a fast reader with a good memory and good spatial type skills and an aptitude for putting concepts together in my mind as well as actually being interested in learning I'd say fuck it to the whole academic stuff like this shit would be a nightmare without my brain.

Idk why anyone would torture themselves to get a degree that's most likely worthless without a master's/phd. I'd learn a trade and become a trucker and then invest in real estate n shit. Sometimes I wish I were stupid just so I wouldn't feel compelled to take the riskier route.

And then I found 20 dollars

anything added reduces retention rate, if you understand the music (AKA familiar with music theory) then it will be really horrible.

>mfw there are thousands of brainlets and premed girls (destined to fail) out there who think studying with music actually does something besides reduce retention and concentration

Explain the subject you are studying to something.

Sometimes a grab a piece of material and make a conference inside my mind sometimes even talking to myself or the air about what the fuck i am doing.

The deal here lies in questioning yourself, to know what you know and what you dont know and build upon that

you're doing it wrong

protip: make a schedule to revisit what you have learned and schedule the next revisit depending on how much you remembered

Similar but less extreme thing happened to me.

I used to not study and get ok grades and when I studied I got ok grades as well but
lost the social life.

I also recently got 115 on an IQ test with a major with 130 average so I'm probably
just gonna drop out. I think you should to.

Get an IQ test. If your IQ is significantly below average, the knowledge could save
you thousands.

You over-studied.
>youtube.com/watch?v=eVajQPuRmk8&t=4s

Here's another...

>youtube.com/watch?v=IlU-zDU6aQ0
This one has a lot of good points.

>social interaction and sexual activity are correlated with higher academic success
>tfw no friends and no gf

>often curve
some don't, the "66% of engineering students fail" meme becomes truth

lol brainlet subhuman
kys lmao

youtube.com/watch?v=RH95h36NChI
Quality over quantity. Start here.

I dont get it. Whats the benefit in doing this? Associate cheese with ideas?

You're not studying efficiently, OP. Here, I'll share my hyper-efficient study method with you.

1. Get your course syllabus or a table of contents from your textbook.
2. Open a word document on your computer and write literally everything you know off the top of your head under each heading, WITHOUT looking at your textbook. This will probably take you a long time but it's a good review exercise and will build confidence.
3. Once you're done, check what you wrote down for accuracy. Anything you were wrong about, or missed, highlight in red. THOSE are the things you need to study.
4. NOW you have a list of things you failed to remember, and you can focus on studying those instead of wasting your time on things you already have memorized. From now on, study and test yourself exclusively on the things you highlighted. You already know the other stuff.

This is a good cram method but you can also repeat the exercise to verify your grasp of the course material.

This. Went from 25 to 32 on the ACT just by studying the test itself for a week. It makes me kind of depressed that so many things in school have huge flaws and are just a big meme. They grade you not on how well you understand a subject, but on how well you can follow directions.

Papa bless, I can feel myself ascending

> not knowing basic vocabulary, grammar, algebra, and geometry

This. If I had to study as hard as people say they do I would just do something else.

Nah, I just got a 26 on math.
36 Science, 34 reading, (the final value is trivial and has been left as an excersize to the reader)

>get A's in all science related classes
>6 language grades

>12 hours a day
>for a month
>65%
just go to art school, this shit ain't for you my son

How do you study better? What's most efficient for fact-based fields like history and psychology, not something like maths where you work on understanding problems

I feel like history is a field that really requires you to have an interest in it to do well. History tests aren't really "fact-based" in the sense of
>on what day of the week was the declaration of independence signed?
or crap like that. The level of factual detail needed on a history test is generally the minimum you need to start explaining the events and forming opinions about them. If you're engaged with what you're reading this happens automatically, but if you're not it's hard because it's harder to get by just grinding exercise sets like in mathematics or physics.

>How do you study better?
>fact-based fields like history and psychology

You switch to a useful major and work on understanding and solving problems instead of being a knowledgeable idiot.

>can remember lore/skillnames and other useless shit from games i read only once
>remember these exactly even if they are like 5 years ago
>cant into important stuff
I wish i could apply that on the stuff i need to.

my mom used to give me shit about this all the time. then I realized all you have to do is pretend your homework is a video game.

The focus and framing is very different, which factors into how a given starting state will / can evolve.

The one thing I forgot entirely is rhythm. Sequences are sometimes easier to remember than a given end result. Especially if they can be associated easily with steps you took along the way.

Sounds like a poor excuse to me. I listen to music, study around people playing video games and chatting, and I still pulled off 90's throughout my undergrad. I think OP is doing something fundamentally wrong with his studying. I spend a lot of time thinking about math while I'm walking around a shit so that once I study, I've already thought of better ways to understand the material.

curves are terrible and the opposite of education

Anyone else study in bed?

Before sleeping every night I read my textbooks, not concentrating very hard usually, just nice reading focusing on the interesting bits, or something I struggled with previously. It doesn't even feel like studying yet when I do exercises later I remember most of the material.

Your brain needs some downtime m8. You don't need to study longer than 6 hours a day and also take breaks.

You must be retarded. It's normal to be like the other guy, you are an outlier in how stupid you are. Do you just sit there rereading one line of your notes for 12 hours?

>he cheated just like he did in highschool

Grades are a finite set, so you're lying.