>Philosophy is easy

I'm reading a philosophy book and I feel like I'm doing rehab.
I don't understand where sentences are coming from and where they're heading.
Were scientists of the past somehow superior for having both the ability of being philosophers and mathematicians?

It really varies by scientist and philosopher. Just think of how it's hard to read academic papers even in your field of study- You can get the gist at first, but you really need to dig deep, discuss, and think about the details to grasp it, and it is the same way for any philosophy. You can bet that huge tomes take years to fully digest. This is true regardless of intelligence; it just is a matter of how much you can extrapolate and really deeply understand at the end of the process.

But in mathematics there are the axioms of set theory and rules follow very logically.
I'm not thrown into ODEs without the having learnt Analysis.
What I do now when I read philosophy is trying to make sense of the point of view of the author, compare it to my point of view, and do all of this in the most conservative way i.e. arranging thoughts as to leave the minimum room for misunderstandings and mistakes.
I cannot be analytical like in mathematics.

8 years

Take notes as you read.

Have you ever wrote a book?
It's never perfect and you keep shaping it until it is deeper, sharper and more beautiful until someone frees your from it and you just stop to perfectionize it.
Philosophy is an art of language and the knowledge of it. For some readers it can be a bit much.

Basic philosophy is about leadership, how to live the good life and how to let nature work for you.
If you keep in mind that philosophy can be seen as a school for politicians, it's not so hard and not even ambiguous at all.

Philosophy does not provide answers, it teaches you to think the useful way.

What book are you reading?
It's best to start with an introduction book about the history of western philosophy to get the basic ideas/mode of thinking.

Modern philosophy is postmodern muh feels bullshit.

What do you know about any philosophy pre-1960's?

>tfw they prefer barabbas

Frege. Russell's Western Philosophy as well, which is an easier read.

>Were scientists of the past somehow superior for having both the ability of being philosophers and mathematicians
scientists today are superior for being philosophers. The retards shiting on philosophy are lab rats and undergrads that wont make it anywhere beyond working for industry or doing mindless empiricism for someone else. All the exciting science is heavy on philosophy.
the "Ph" in "Ph.d" stands for something ya know

Wrong.
>modern philosophy is postmodern
contemporary analytic philosophy is intellectually rigorous and compartmentalized

>all the exiting science is heavy in philosophy
Wrong. Philosophy is a non-scientific way of finding information that, while often true, is ultimately unscientific and useless to scientists and engineers. Although philosophers often discuss cutting-edge science, this doesn't mean scientists discuss philosophy.

When I read philosophy It often seems that the writers are schizos

>what is epistemology

Philosophers are overly wordy because it makes them feel good. It's not just you.

science is built on philosophy

well what "philosophy book" are you reading user?

also cogent premises -> conclusion argument style language is limited in its ability to accurately convey abstract concepts. often writers (and it entirely depends on the era and location the book youre reading was written) will draw an outline and hope you can infer or feel the whole.

wisdom cannot be taught user, but people have tried very very hard to teach it. if you dont have requisite knowledge gained from genuine human experience you will be completely unable to gain understanding.

I recommend starting with plato, but the requisite knowledge is found in homer.

O my brother I cannot emphasize enough that you must think about these ideas genuinely and over a period of time as you experience experience they will like seeds need to be sunned, watered, germinated, transferred, soil-maintained; loved and cared for; and if you do these things you will find a mother tree in the forest of your soul.

but youre a stem pleb so whats the point right?

easier than math
open vocabulary faggot

start with the greeks

ive never considered philosophy to be a form of art. Its always been about the logic and solving psycho-social problems with critical thinking and reason. Its been a way for me to understand things from what i want to eat for breakfast, to how i carry out tasks during the day, or how i make one choice or another. In all of these things it is a beautiful expression of the mind, but never did i think is it an elaborate piece of artwork.

brainlet