Is "rain striped hair" something you can say in english?

Is "rain striped hair" something you can say in english?

Pic is very related to what i'm looking for words to describe.

Other urls found in this thread:

merriam-webster.com/dictionary/matted
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

never heard it and don't know if it makes sense since english isn't my first language but i like it. it sounds cute

Striped or stripped? Neither is a recognised phrase but maybe it could work in context.

no that isn't really a common english phrase.

Any alternative suggestions?

rain soaked hair?

the verb that we would associate with that picture would be 'flick' or 'fling' but using a verb like that as an adjective is awkward in english.

'flinging her rain soaked hair' would be more natural.

'rain matted hair' maybe, but that doesn't necessarily describe the action you see in the picture.

'Soaked' would refer to the perfusion of water in the hair, 'matted' would refer to a lack of lustre.
I'm after the effect of how rain often makes hair clump together into tests.
Actually, can i say that?

"Rain soaked tests of hair"?
"Rain soaked hair tests"?
"Rain tested hair"?

I still kind of like 'striped' though. this user gets it.

you are wrong. that's not the only definition of matted.

i'm not saying a i don't like 'rain striped hair' but it's just not a natural or common phrase in english.

I have never heard of that phrase but I think it sounds elegant and the sound of it does give an impression like your picture. I think you could pioneer it as a new meaning for what you're trying to describe.

is it cool to read clumsy english sometimes, Veeky Forums?

merriam-webster.com/dictionary/matted
>2: something made up of densely tangled or adhering filaments or strands especially of organic matter

It appears you are right. Matted would work very well, according to this.

Well, i guess that is how language works.

Wat?

>something you can say in english?
I have some basic understanding of linguistics, and while there is socially correct language, correct language does not exist. Words change meaning, new words get introduced and so on and so on.

Gay used to mean happy, and there are many more such cases.

As a writer of fiction I wouldn't limit my creativity. Shakespeare alledgedly introduced new words into the English language. But can't remember whatever that is true (but other people did it anyway).

Sounds like a wet ballsack, user.

Wet. Her hair is wet.

it still means happy, you moron

Arguably, it doesn't.

rain streaked is a common phrase in english, and hair also often is called streaked (rather than striped) when dyed. it could be that streak and stripe's close meanings and contexts caused a cognate to come forward where streaked would be the norm. i quite like it, more than rain-streaked hair which can seem cliche.

rainy hair

rain crenellated hair

Wet hair.

wet with what?

Hair.

mussed

nice

kek

streams of hair, crafted by the rain, a downpour of black, yellow, red, brown, stands fundamentally clinging by their sameness, drowning in it, and what escapes the clouds above

Repugnant.

why?

Because I wrote it. Also, I typed stands instead of strands. Should have just said faggots. works with the theme and doubles as an insult to people willing to tale it that way.

There are more words that changed meaning such as "nice"

he's looking for a collocation, not words. breaking collocations instantly outs you as a non-native speaker

Not neccesarily
Collocations must've changed at times as well, that is simply what language does: change
If he cares about being authentic he should listen to you but it is not how language works

*rain-lashed hair*

you're welcome

"added" meaning is not "changed" meaning

Who still uses nice to mean foolish or silly?

yes it is. i don't see how language change relates to what I said