Have you ever failed a class in college?

Have you ever failed a class in college?

If so, what class was it and why?

>tfw failed diffeq over the summer

Diffeqs, that class was really easy when I was first learning it
(Really good prof) but has become significantly harder to relearn after forgetting it.

I don't think it's possible to fail a college class unless you weren't trying at all.

I have dreams on a weekly basis that I'm failing both algebra and Chinese.

I never took either class in university and in fact made the deans list every session I was there. I have no idea what's causing these dreams.

I'm gonna get blasted, but Gen Chem 1

The professor had a policy where you could miss all tests, quizzes, and midterms, and instead have the final be close to 85% of your grade. There was also no homework in lecture, so I basically coasted through the semester. I didn't go to a single lecture past the 2nd week.

The day of the final came and I started studying the day of. I realized I was completely and utterly fucked. I knew absolutely nothing, not even acid-base equilibrium or redox reactions.
Got a C on the final but got almost a 0% in homework and the remaining 15%.
I ended up with a D.

It's the dumbest fucking thing I've done throughout my whole college career.

Sorry meant close to 0% in lab reports, which were included in the 15%, along with some in-class assignments

I failed topics in applied mathematics because I suffered from psychosis and spent a month in the hospital. Break-ups suck..

Obligatory attendance courses fucked me up.

Why are you even on this board? This is a place for smart people.

D in diff eq

And a D in some psychology class unrelated to my major

Failed all my programming classes because I am a brainlet

I got a D in Microbiology Lecture, A in the lab.

I didnt care. Its part of my minor so I just took a different lab class the next semester.

All the quizzes were online, twice a week.
>missed one
>marks next one on calendar
>day before
>alright im going to wake up and do it first thing
>forgets

>Break-ups

That is what happens when you depend on roasties. If you cannot survive the blow from a break up then you should not get a personal roastie. I have a gf and to prepare myself I do a mental exercise: I imagine that just today she broke up with me and I try to honestly see how I would react if that case. Every day I conclude that if she broke up with me then I would be fine. But the rule is this: If it ever feels like it would make me sad then I have to break up with her immediately. If you break up with her before she breaks up with you then you transfer the blow to her.

organic chem 1
like 70% of the students

depends on the professor at my school. I feel like my school has a fair bit of grade inflation but there's that occasional professor with a 20% pass rate

Would you rather have a W

or a D?

Taking physics 2 and im fucked, might just withdraw from the class so i dont fuckup my gpa. theres still a final exam and I failed both regular ones.

Depends. If it's your first W take it if you know you're not going to pass. Too many Ws can be a red flag though.
Also talk to your advisor, they know better than anyone here about your school and situation

If you don't mind my asking, which college did you attend where they would allow a policy like this?

W counts as an F at my college. It's a pretty fucked up policy, and I'm not sure if other schools treat them in the same manner.

I would talk to your advisor. You could mess up your schedule if you drop it and you could always retake it if needed.

Only dumb people do lab work.

I switched to Maths and now I have a 3.8. It feels much easier.
UCSD

I flunked out of a mathematics/commerce dual degree due to severe depression

Lol, I remember some guy posting a fucking Wojak and asking if he should take diff eq's over the summer

Please tell me that Veeky Forums got you to shit on your own GPA.

>3.959
lol
have fun not getting into top 10s for grad school

Have fun getting Bs when you're deep in upper div, because you will encounter professors who actually refuse to give As. Happens all the time here at Berkeley. You better be using RateMyProfessor.

>tfw admitted to michigan and uiuc
ok.

>the "professors actually refuse to give A's" meme

ive failed like 5 classes.

i honestly should have never been allowed to graduate but I didnt realize that they just wanted your shekels and didnt give a shit if you knew anything.

>goes to ucsd
>pulls this stunt
I am lmaoing at your life
I also go to UCSD and when I see the dozens of cocky freshman like you I can't help but laugh. What the fuck did you expect? That your brain would just fill with chemistry information de novo?

I hope you aren't premed

>>the "professors actually refuse to give A's" meme
where did you go for undergrad

this is pretty common

What's ur major?

Electrical Engineering

UIUC

EE/Math dual

It's always fun to see "smart but lazy" kids get BTFO, especially when they talk about how easy college will be after their AP classes.

Two:

Russian, because the teacher was horrible and I lost interest really fast.

Fencing, because I am a klutz.

I failed 5 and out of a college. Doing fine now though, just cost 1.5 years

I have never passed an art class in my entire life.

I failed english 101 and a US history class but it was because I was being lazy and didn't take it seriously. Now I have my head on straight and have a 3.2 gpa in computer engineering major.

I failed two degrees and yet I am here restarting all over. Working in a start up and having two scholarships.

My friend is a vet and she told me that everyone in her class that has 50 people failed and only one passed with a B. He has tenured so he can't get fired.

I failed freshman calc.
Came back next semester and made a B.
Amazing what happens when you actually study.

I failed 4/5 courses one semester because I was being a retard and just didn't go to class at all for the last 2 months.
I've never gotten anything less than mid-80s on a course I actually showed up for.

I start Mech Eng in 3 weeks, can you guys give tips on how to get a 3.8+ GPA?

receive 4 A's for every 1 B you make. Make no C's, D's, or F's.

Transfer to MIT, where grading is out of 5.0. A 3.8 there is then like a 2.8 anywhere else.

The last class I failed was middle school study hall, which I did for the lulz.
Lowest grade I received in high school was a C in a fitness class. Lowest grade I received in uni was a C in an art appreciation class.
Anything less than an A feels like failing desu, what's the point in taking a class if you don't master it?

How long should I study per hour in lecture?

What the fuck? I didn't type desu, damn autocorrect.

failed intro to phil when I was doing dual credit courses in highschool at a community college. Circle jerk teacher made it all about her politics so I stopped going.

dude how the fuck would i know. I dont know you, how quickly your grasp material, anything. Study until you can teach the material to someone.

Uh, this has happened to me before. I swear to god I didn't type desu and yet when I re-read my post there it was. Gave me paranoia and I reset my comp.

Depends what classes ur taking and if you're a brainlet. I'd say about 40 hrs / week

I fucked up in high school so I got shite everything 2.97 GPA mostly honors classes 3.2 weighted. 25 ACT, 27 math 26 science shite English and reading. 1170 SAT, 600 math 570 English.
A kid in my stats class got a 35 ACT, 1500 SAT, 4.0 all I.B. classes and got rejected at MIT

40 seems like too much considering I've never studied in my life, I'll just test the waters till I find something comfortable.

2-3 hours per unit per week.. so 6 unit course u should work at home up to 18 hours per week. Thats a good general rule depending on difficulty of the material.

"to be honest" as an acronym is filtered to desu.

>GPA meme

That 4.0 would be a 92/100 here at most.

lel I've failed like 7 classes. Actually, I've failed a few multiple times, so maybe it's not technically 7, but I've failed a class at least 7 times, maybe more actually. I failed one class 3 times, and had to write to the provost to petition him to let me retake it a 4th time.
Started out making 60+ grand a year out of uni, was never asked about my gpa, and got a job offer from every interview I've taken part in.
It's difficult for me to learn about or care about shit that I find boring, like programming or math. I aced all the grad level courses I took during undergrad though.
I just hope it doesn't come bite me in the ass when I go back to school for a masters in a few years.

Literally failed the last class of my college semester.

It was a stupid class i took in the summer. Gave into a life time of self doubt and ideation of self-sabatoge brought on by crippling anxiety. Took it again and aced it. Going for my masters and going to therapy. Not going to let that happen again.

Failed intro to programming.

The only course I've ever received an F in. I've gotten a few D's here and there, but an F...goddamn I still think about it from time to time.

Failed Cal III. Missed final and wasn't allowed to make it up.

Even making on A+ on the repeat likely won't save me now.

The closest I came to failing a class was some bullshit nonwestern religions class. Most of our grade came from one paper on a meditation exercise we did one day. We were supposed to see shit like spirit animals giving us gifts or something. I didn't see shit, so I just made up things to write about in the paper. Got a D on it, because apparently my description of it wasn't verbose enough. A lot of people did the same thing but failed it.

Yeah, due to depression.

My GPA is trash.

can confirm
i didn't do the homework for my numerical analysis course, I only showed up to half of the classes, and i just made up some bullshit on the final, and I got a C

how many hours a week did you study and do homework?

E&M
>tfw I now study energy policy

hi you only took 74 gpa hours and are bragging about 4? degree here at SLU is 121 for chemistry

also I withdrew failed differential equations because I was addictedto world of warcraft (still am) and had no time to memorize the seperable, e^x and series bullshit

...you got - something - out of failing it

>I didn't see shit, so I just made up things to write about in the paper. Got a D on it, because apparently my description of it wasn't verbose enough.
Holy shit.
Tell me that's not STEMS.

Crybaby detected.

Data analysis becouse its not math nor physics

Physics 101 becouse the teacher didnt like my way to do things i.e high school way

No. I was a good student. Closest was probably pchem cause i almost missed a test.

That is a very specific hell.

I'm 30, guys. Should I just give up on school and work on the fields?

I m in my 4th year, I've attended less than 20 lectures and lesa than 10 labs since I started...

I'm usually too depressed to even stand up, but on the good days I get shit done.

That's how I've kept my place.

I failed optics

I'm 27, and was about to do the same...

guys you are like guaranteed to live to like 80+ at this point if you don't have any preexisting conditions

you got so much time left just study what you're interested in and see what happens

Argentina, Engineering, Free uni.

>Math I
First uni class. Before that I was consistently failing all math classes since I was 15. Not really a surprise I guess
>Stability II
I had a brain fart and defined that 1 meter was 10 centimenters. There wasn't a single conceptual mistake in the excersice but that didn't matter - Stability I and II are "0 or 100" classes - one strike, you are out.
>General Chemistry
it was split in two because it was the most bloated class in the whole career. I waited two years before doing the final out of lazyness and honest to god loathing of the sheer amount of study I had to do. When I actually tried to do I got violently ass raped despite two weeks studying because they changed professors. First time I actually cried over uni stuff
>Calculus I
I almost "promoted" (instant pass without a final) bt I was too lazy. Fast forward two years I had to re do the class because they changed proffessors and turned it into a "filter" class where you get the hardest excersices of the book, so I got raped in the final twice. I promoted it last month.
>Materials for Engineering I - Twice
A pseudo meme class that's basically "steel and aluminium melting: the class. Since I was doign two classes at the same day I couldn't study for both exams and the class was so low priority I just dropped out of both.
>Logical Processes
Literal meme class where you learn a literally who coding program to solve logic problems with 0 theory or understanding of what you are actually doing. I passed the class but it turns out i didn't because one of my group members forgot to write down my name in the obligatory group excersice. I'm gonna try to fight my way into doing the final but I don't have the contact info of anyone who I worked with there so it's probably a lost cause

Next week I'll either pass or fail Calculus II and Physics I. Two finals, one next to the other.

I got a D in Gen Physics 1 because it was first semester freshman year, I had no idea how to manage myself, my roomates were drunk alcoholic partying soccer team members, and the class was at 7:30 AM.

I failed my mechatronics systems and controls class for my ME degree. To be fair, my professor was bullshit, and I had a much better one a second time around.

One time I got an A- because I was thinking about fucking my girlfriend the whole time during the final.

Oh fuck, there is a physics teacher at my college that fails most of his students or half. He only teacher cal 1 physics for life science majors and cal 1 physics. Every semester he has students complaining about him to the counselors. Nothing ever happens

>only teaches

Yeah that sounds pretty heathly kek

>bragging about 4
I don't have a 4, but even if i did, i wouldn't brag because it's really fucking easy to get one

i feel bad for you brainlet/grindlets who are constantly rationalizing why they wont' do basic, simple work that's literally designed for them to get A's in

I got an A+ while reminiscing about fucking your girlfriend, brainlet

>7:30 am
what kind of trash school do you go to?
most workplaces don't even expect you to show up until 8 or 9

My only F is from telecom. Fucking analog noise.

It was Stony Brook, although I graduated a few years back

>go to shitty city school but intentionally take professors with terrible pass rates because they are more likely to actually teach something
Rate my endeavors

If your brain and or eyes get tired after 2 pages of reading the maths and you find you have no desire to up the number 2 and you don't breeze through the material because you are a genius which it doesn't seem you are think about a different field

Discrete III. I missed one day of class (the last day) the whole term due to second degree burns on my face. On that day the instructor changed the date of the final exam, and so when I showed up to the exam that was in the class schedule (dripping orange goo everywhere), I was the only one there. When I went to administration to ask them what was up, they told me my instructor was currently out of the country. He never responded to my e-mails. It was completely against the rules, but I was the only one that cared. Naturally, I got an F for missing the final. I certainly would have at least gotten a B otherwise. This is pretty much when I got fed up with university and started working. I take some comfort in that I certainly make more money now than that Russian asshole ever did. Actually, he's probably dead now, which is unfortunate since he can't feel pain any longer.

>japanese 4
>get in motorcycle accident, cant make it to the final
>auto F if you miss final
>email professor that i got in a motorcycle accident and if he can pass me
>grade changed to A since I took him for every single class
was p nice to be quite honest with you

I failed or close to failed basically every class in highschool.
Funny how things change

You must took passing professors. There are professors that will only give a certain amount of pass grades. There are professors who will give an F on principle if you suck.

>ameriblubbers get tens of thousands of dollars in debts to "study" this
Pathetic.

I think I've failed Calc 1 like 8 times no joke. My parents kept sending me to school and I just never went to class

For better or worse I havent.

>121 for chemistry
wtf I needed 131 to graduate with an engr degree.

>failed statics because I forgot to drop the class
>failed intro to programming (C) because I'm dumb af
Two F's at Cal Poly resulted in academic dismissal at the time, so I transferred to a worse school to study biology instead. Now I'm a NEET.

I failed diffeq too. Thought I could get away with just fucking around as always but no