Anarchism 101

So the only thing I know about anarchism is that it gave rise to several acts of terrorism in the 19th and early 20th century. Is this anarchism different from modern day anarchism? Is there a book that discusses the history of anarchism or its key points?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=h_T7bD4pAlE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

So you saying you want a quick rundown?

More or less

>tfw you will never be a cozy russian anarchist who drinks and smokes all day in some St. Petersburg slum
>tfw you will never dream about attempt to carry out bombings for the fuck of it
>tfw you will never cry yourself to sleep after a night of binge drinking because the nihilism you subscribe to is slowly ripping you apart
>tfw you will never open the Gospel of John on a whim and finally see the truth

Feels bad man, wish I was born in Imperial Russia.

modern anarchists tend to be limp wristed fags who kick over trashcans when they don't get what they want, old school anarchists did things like assassinate heads of state and bomb police stations.

Read Kropotkin and some Bakunin.

too simple a solution for too complex a world

stop reading Dostoevsky pls

Take the yellow pill and become le ancap

no

>See that place over there where everything is working? Yeah, try and do the opposite of that

Okay so does anyone have valuable answers?

Maybe

From what I can tell old school anarchism was way more radical and violent.

And Read Stirner.

>Is this anarchism different from modern day anarchism?
Not really, it's an inherently terroristic ideology.

Does any ideology automatically become a meme when you put anarcho- in front of it?

>Is this anarchism different from modern day anarchism?
Yes. In Europe, in the 19th and early 20th century, anarchism was basically turbo-communism, and was borne out of the vernacular of left-wing labor movements. In the United States, anarchism found its individualist strain, which is more disconnected from regular leftist discourse. Stirner fits into there as well even though I've always thought Stirner's classification as an "individualist anarchist" is a complete misreading.

Nowadays this "post-left" anarchist trend is more popular, because you don't have to assassinate anyone and get executed or go to prison forever.

doesn't even need the prefix in this case

What kind of writing formed the blueprint for those early anarchists?

Old-school anarchism was savage as fuck, with bombings and assassinations each week.
New (((anarchism))) is just kicking trashcans because "i don't like X".

Look up Kropotkin, Bakunin, and Goldman.

This desu
Even just the old songs from the Free Territory are fucking crazy: youtube.com/watch?v=h_T7bD4pAlE they did not shun away from violence, assassination, sabotage etc.

I think it's worth mentioning the Bookchin style Green-Anarchism/Communalism, he is one of the biggest theorists within the last 50 years when it comes to Anarchism. The man basically started the social ecology movement with his works.

Proudhon, Bakunin, the list goes on.

I never encountered these names before. Are they still discussed in philosophical and political studies?

Yes? They're important still. You can get Kropotkin and Proudhon at any bookstore.

Guess I learned something new today. Are they good reads?

/thread

and Godwin

Not him but yes they are pretty good.
Here's a quick reading list off the top of my head, any user can feel free to tell me if i'm missing something.

Kropotkin - Conquest of Bread/Mutual Aid
Proudhon - What is Property?
Bakunin - God and the State (this is an unfinished manuscript so it does have some weird sudden stops but it's still good)
Emma Goldman - Anarchism and Other Essays
Max Stirner - The Ego and Its Own