Chinese Martial Arts Novels

AKA Guilty Pleasure Thread

Chinese Novel Genres:
- Qihuan: Traditional Fantasy. A genre based on the typical Western-style fantasy.
- Wuxia: "Martial heroes". A genre about warfare and martial arts which is more in line with realism. Martial arts may go beyond normal, but not to the superpower levels like Xianxia.
- Xianxia: "Immortal heroes". A genre about cultivating to become an Immortal, which strictly utilizes Chinese myth and fantasy.
- Xuanhuan: “Alternative Fantasy". A genre that mixes up things and which may utilize elements from Wuxia or Xianxia to a prominent degree, but isn't defined as either.

========================================
Basic overview of what the more popular Chinese novels are like:
1. Take Dragon Ball
2. Make it much darker and bloodier.
3. Replace Goku with a much more intelligent, ruthless, and morally questionable MC; who goes around raping, pillaging, genociding, and consuming the souls of his enemies, till he levels up to destroy whole planets and realms.
4. Achieve a sense of satisfaction after all those frustrating times reading Japanese shit where MC's are submissive and weak moral sissies who keep getting beat up constantly.

========================================

Ask me anything and i shall try to answer.
Otherwise, what are any of you reading and what do you like?

Not literature.

Yes literature.

Sounds awful.
Legitimately worse than anything I've heard about on the /sffg/

It ain't called "guilty pleasure" for nothing.

the worst thing to happen to chinese lit is the bastardization of the term "wuxia" for western audiences

Yes. However having politically correct westerners whine, cry, and wage moral sermons in comments because of the triggerades they experience, is so god damn satisfying and hilarious in its own way.

The only one I somewhat enjoyed were "I shall seal the heavens". They generally lack execution, are too repetitive and have too much plot armor for me to ignore.

"Savage Divinity" is a Wuxia styled story that I enjoyed though.

If you like the long serial style, try reading "Mother of Learning", "Worm" or "Twig".

Fight scenes don't work well in written form and that might be the only "redeemable" part of the books.

Did you try Shen Yin Wang Zuo or The Magus Era?
Both of them stray from the default in their own ways.
I'd only criticize Shen Yin Wang Zuo for the fighting, whereas the fighting in Magus Era has among the best executed magic systems i know so far - varied and easy to visualize.

Warlock of the Magus Era and Renegade Immortal have evil protagonists who don't attempt to hide it or justify it, though Renegade Immortal has a slow start and harder to follow combat.

Zhan Long also has great writing with a moral protagonists, but the combat is shit until the author fixes it past the whole competition thing if memory serves me correctly.

A Record of a Mortal’s Journey to Immortality has the least feeling of plot armor for the MC.

Make a list of canonical works OP, then append that to future opening posts for your threads

>Evil protagonists
Why do you keep bringing this up like it's a selling point?

Why do you keep focusing on it as if i didn't mention anything else?
Does it trigger you?

Because everything else was a possible selling point. Also, this is the first time I've brought that up.
You need to relax with "heh triggered sissy" nonsense, it makes you look like a middle schooler.

Everything is a selling point to someone.
You are thankfully not everyone.
I honestly don't give a toss how i look to you.
If i wanted recognition from irrelevant strangers, i'd go and be an activist, a politician, or someone who works from a podium. I don't.

Take off the fingerless gloves for a second and look at what I was asking.
I was wondering why you felt evil protagonists made the story worth reading. What does it add?

Why do you feel a lawful protagonist makes a story worth reading? What does it add?
Apart from being overused that is.

It makes care about what happens to them, which then invests me further into the story. I'm referring to non-evil protagonists, not lawful ones. A hero who doesn't go around raping children to level up isn't necessarily lawful.

Me care*

Well you answered your own question.
I'm more interested and invested into a story with an evil protagonists than the moral ones that bore me. It's a break from monotonousness.
It's a break from reality. It's exploring what is usually damned by society, and enjoying the comments from moral preachers who think that books with evil characters doing evil deeds are Satan's conspiracy to magically corrupt readers into becoming evil in real life!

Thanks for the response and sorry for badgering you about it, I just saw the opportunity to get some writing material.

If your writing material is to be posted online and have a comment section, the best one would be that which starts morality battles in the comment section, for that's great recreation for the writer.

No, I just needed a line of dialogue for a teenager to say, and I was trying to egg it out of you. I do the same thing on reddit sometimes because there's alot of pretention there too.

I wrote a response but honestly after reading your post again I have no idea what you're saying.
Anyway, have a nice day.

You seem to have an Age Complex.
You might want to check that out.
It leads to bad things like depression and cuckoldry.

the collected works of jin yong

they have the bonus of actually being good instead of this web novel self-insert fanfiction

MARTIAL ARTS IS BORING TO READ. YOUR GENRE IS DEAD. YOU'RE WELCOME. GET INTO FANTASY, FAGGOT.

>GET INTO FANTASY, FAGGOT.

Oxymoron detected. Initiating laughing script.

My Favorite Wuxia... It Must Be Chunnibyou...

bump

why the shit would you read kung fu movies. Just watch them.