You dare to walk in my office and ask whether or not you should go for a graduate degree in mathematics...

You dare to walk in my office and ask whether or not you should go for a graduate degree in mathematics, and you don't even know what a Banach space is?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=j4hW7AwETZA
youtube.com/watch?v=n12bfWTw9Hk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I've seen this stupid fucking video. Pretty funny, I'm working on my PhD in Integrals also.
youtube.com/watch?v=j4hW7AwETZA

>youtube.com/watch?v=j4hW7AwETZA [Remove]
That's brilliant!

youtube.com/watch?v=n12bfWTw9Hk

Shut Up. You cannot even begin to comprehend the tortuous existence one must suffer in order to begin to gain a basic understanding of the fundamental mathematical concepts used to build a foundation for learning how to begin understanding the most basic of basic mathematical concepts required to fail at getting a PhD in Mathematics.

To be completely honest, I have no idea what graduate studies in mathematics entail. I will have a bachelor's degree in math next year, but I do not know of any research areas in math. I picked up a major in math so I could do more quantitative shit in the physical sciences (FEM, spatial statistics etc).

christ i hate those videos

Was this a sci shitpost that someone pasted into xtranormal?

No it was made by some dude who got butthurt following a difficult Functional Analysis course (see the description)

Honest question here, at what point should I know banach spaces, banach topology, banach algebra and all that?

Junior undergrad? Senior?

you should know it going into your freshman year

Middle school

I know that's bullshit, I am looking for serious answers.

Looking at the definition of wikipedia it is clear that I have already seen banach spaces but a professor has never called them that so my question is about in which class do they become fundamental and when should I intimately know them?

In all seriousness, they become a thing in functional analysis. An introductory course is usually taken in the 3rd or 4th year of study.

Yeah, that sounds good. We already saw functionals in linear algebra one so I suppose eventually banach spaces will creep in.

they are the main course of study in topology of function spaces and functional analysis. i would consider this to be an advanced undergrad topic or an early grad topic

I'm sure you'll like functional analysis, it has a wide range of applications (PDE, probability) as well as being interesting in itself.

The deadpan delivery f the lines really sells the whole videos

bump

Pure functional analysis is pretty fucked up desu, honestly all of analysis has kind of gone off the deepend.

Even relatively basic results such as banach alaoglu feel almost pointless and absurd.

Is this like your guy's cuckold fantasy?

I'm a computer science guy who is doing a PhD.
My main supervisor is an applied math guy, and because of that my official qualification will be a PhD in Maths and Computer Science.
Do I still get $300K starting and get to call myself a mathematician?

no, you have to average the starting salary of CS and Math. add 100k if you live in the Bay Area of CA