First results from US CRISPR gene editing on human embryos

"The revolutionary CRISPR genome editing technique could be used safely to prevent some genetic diseases, according to the first embryo study conducted in the US"

newscientist.com/article/mg23531373-700-first-results-from-us-crispr-gene-editing-on-human-embryos/

Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analytical_Engine
nature.com/news/chinese-scientists-genetically-modify-human-embryos-1.17378
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

to get rid of some normal disease like rheumatoid arthritis or alopecia or even a hereditary disposition to a certain cancer, you'd have to edit hundreds of loci, they won't get that right in the next 50 or 100 years or so, much too complex

Makes me want to study harder to stay ahead of the curve

it probably causes science cancer/autism theoretically.
Whats interesting is its applications that could be used by Melon Musk to finally put a taco bell on the moon.

a toe has been placed over a very thick red line that i didnt think would happen at least for another 10 years. This is extremely good/important, although 99% of people on this website will dismiss it until it can create designer babies. But it's pretty huge

>designed babies
Please, we aren't reddit. We care about one and only one thing: genetically engineered catgirls built for sex

that would be considered a designer baby. But yea i get what you're saying kek

MAKE ELVES ALREADY

It's a great thing that it happened because it also dispels one of the main problems CRISPR was thought to have, many off-target effects and very low efficiency.

It's also a good answer to the Chinese research. I'm glad the west was prepared and had scheduled the conduction of such research.

What thoughts? At this point everyone (with a bit of common sense) knows what's going to happen

DNA ARMS RACE, WOOOOOOOO!! GET READY FOR COLD WAR PART TWO: GENETIC BOOGALOO!!!

yep, you nailed it as well, especially about the Chinese research, if we didnt respond to it with out own it was going to be very limiting in the future

>complexity means things have to take a fucking century
Computers did not exist in any form 100 years ago
Aircraft were only 110 years ago

shit progresses far faster than multi-generational timeframes

make anime real already!

USA! USA! USA!

>Planes complicated
Brainlets detected
Please lay off the popsci koolaid for a while
>Pic related is an ancient "computer"
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism

Also any brainlet first year CS student should know Babbage, who too designed and later on his life completed construction of a mechanical computer
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analytical_Engine

Wut?

Will they genetically engineer me a gf?

Babbage never constructed his mechanical computer. Babbage made neither a Difference Engine or Analytical Engine

Lift was very well understood for centuries, we just didn't have anything capable of long distance travel because back then steam was still a dominating power source and all we really were able to work with. There were 660ft flights and so on without an engine or propeller.

trump is giving elon musk ownership of NASA to put a Taco Bell cantina on the moon, read his budget plan.
Its a well known fact that crispr is the leading cause of science cancer next to chemtrails. It is theoretically linked to science autism as well

Can this boost sex drive? I have a low sex drive all my life. It's not low testorone because I have a full facial hair and a deep voice.

tfw no one responds to my crispr thread

>It's also a good answer to the Chinese research. I'm glad the west was prepared and had scheduled the conduction of such research.
I don't follow, pls exlain

people don't talk too much about molecular biology here, and you expect pol to have better results? pol is filled with absolute retards

nature.com/news/chinese-scientists-genetically-modify-human-embryos-1.17378

The Chinese were the first to do this kind of research, so many people were worried that ethical debates would slow down similar research in the west, given its record of defending human rights. China's centralized Soviet-like command of research allows them to order any kind of research deemed potentially useful to private individuals or the state elite. The transparency of western research institutions makes authorization of questionable research subject to delay.

And although it took time for the response to come, this research is not only an answer but a landmark paper on its own, whose protocols will be used and refined by subsequent research. It works as a baseline for similar research, especially since the embryonic alteration was more efficient in this paper than the Chinese.

sagef or being shit

They would if they actually got federal funding.

The funding would be nothing compared to the money saved on healthcare.

What's wrong with designer babies tho?

>No Jimmy, you were destined to be an ugly manlet.

>We look for ways to make the next gen better because we are afraid of our own mortality

Humans are simple and vane

>CRISPR was thought to have, many off-target effects and very low efficiency.
There is no full agreement on that issue.

Anyway, expecting perfect results this early is naive. normal drug development is 10 - 20 years so why should this be so much faster?

I view this as a fallacy which is close kin to the "algorithms are neutral" fallacy. Scenario: we, with our incredibly poor understanding of genetics vs. the total impact of those on a fully-developed organism do this:
1. Make more "intelligent" humans, but oops the genetic modification we make reduces empathy. E.g. the "high-functioning autistic" stereotype. Now we have "bright" humans who are less capable of understanding and mirroring emotional impacts on others.
2. Second oops: the empathy reduction above doesn't also reduce instincts governing human tribalism.
3. Coup de grace: now we have a "race" of perfect little fascists, capable of incredible feats of rationalization to cover for their poorly-understood desires, a stronger than ever in-group vs out-group anathema, and with barely a twinge for the others their actions are now crushing.
Society crumbles due to lack of social cohesion and mass genocide. Thanks for playing! Please enter 25¢ to continue.

Genetic engineering is an overrated meme.
It's fine when you want E.Coli to produce vitamins or chemicals, but anything more than that is like finding hays in a needlestack. Very complex.

When everything is automated and everyone is perfect, there will truly be no reason to even live.

At least not on earth.

I would become a space settler, or maybe pirate...

Fuck this gay earth...

moron

>many off-target effects and very low efficiency.
that's not the impression I ever had. hell, one of the labs in our building published a paper a few years ago showing basically no off-target effects after CRISPR mutagenesis

The point is that the first papers that showed CRISPR-Cas could be used for genetic engineering caused many off-target mutations. Other papers that refined the protocols showed that they could be reduced dramatically, hence the result in this research paper. This paper just unifies the refined protocols for reduced off site mutation with its applicability for embryonic engineering, it's a nice way to tie everything together in one.

We genetically engineered catgirls now.

Lol what? Nice slippery slope faggot

> make anime real already!
This anime girl in particular.
Kurisu Makise from Stein's;Gate

Is Steins;Gate worth watching? At first glance the plot or rather setting seems painfully dull.

>Is Steins;Gate worth watching?
Yes. Absolutely worth.

>not doing this instinctually

>watching
play the VN or go home

The human genome was mapped only a generation ago and now we are beginning to understand how to edit it.

That's it? What about personality modifications and racial hereditary editing for beauty? how hard would it be to naturally change our hair color and eyes?

>our
You do realise this is embryonic genetic engineering, right? As in, all the relevant science regards the next generation, not us.

So? I want my son to be Chad, slay pussy, be intelligent, and enjoy life.

Why the fuck would you give a shit about your son being better if you aren't there to experience it? Start by donating to ageing research and then you can get excited about sci-fi ideas that will be implemented 2 generations later.

But I will be there to experience it. I'm not a nigger who runs away from family.

No, you won't, because this research is not about designer babies, it's just the predecessor. Practical designer baby application will be implemented many generations in the future, you as middle-class consumer will probably never get the opportunity to apply it to your children unless you wanna do it when you're really really old.

Hence donate to ageing.

lol the human genome was certainly not mapped. A lot of sequencing was done but we are far far far from understanding what everything does functionally.

>You were born too late to be genetically edited
>tfw trapped as a shitty prototype
Oh well, good for future generations.

This

IRL capeshit here we come

It's already been figured out how to make IRL supersoldiers/humans

Get into this field and get to an advanced position for dat dere supergains

Nah fuck that. I'll stick with electrical engineering so I can make cyborgs.
Snatchers > Replicants

>implying that combining the two isn't the final path where man and machine merge to achieve humanity's final form