Humans in space

Is human space exploration dead for the time being?

It seems the most powerful nations in the world are more concerned with building weapons at the moment.

Other urls found in this thread:

nature.com/ngeo/journal/v10/n8/full/ngeo2993.html
nasa.gov/offices/education/centers/kennedy/technology/nasarmc.html)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asteroid_mining
youtube.com/watch?v=J1MAg0UAAHg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Government work is kind of pointless right now because it has been successfully privatized. Private corporations are successfully launching satellites and beginning to build manned rockets.

The future of space travel will be commercial and will really gain traction once it becomes profitable somehow other than just government grants.

Fuck human space exploration. Human space exploration is just plant a flag, take a picture, grab some rocks, then leave. I mean it's nice and all, but what we really need to focus on is changing the way we do space.

Right now we need to ship up everything from earth, if we're ever going to live in space this needs to change. What we really need to do is get In Situ Resource Utilization working. IE using shit from where we're sending people rather than hurling it from earth.

One of the best ways to start doing this would be to mine the Moon. So unlike asteroids, the Moon is damn close. Lag time is only like a second so teleoperating robots from earth is possible. This also means we can get stuff to the Moon within days of launch as opposed to years.

Now if you haven't heard, they just found a lot of water on the Moon
nature.com/ngeo/journal/v10/n8/full/ngeo2993.html

Now water's cool for a number of reasons, we crack it into propellant, we can use it for a bunch of metallurgical processes to refine moon rock, and we can use it to keep meatbags alive

Water has been found on the Moon before in permanently shadowed regions. Except we know fuck all about permanently shadowed regions and it's hard to power a rover some place that is PERMANENTLY SHADOWED.

So this new discovery is that some rocks we have from apollo that turned out to have quite a bit of water aren't anomalous and are found all over the moon. And most importantly they're out in the sun, where we have energy to process them. The concentration of water is high enough that with a small rover like one of the ones used in NASA's regolith mining contest(nasa.gov/offices/education/centers/kennedy/technology/nasarmc.html) could potentially mine tons of water per year.

Once we have a way to make propellant, we can set up a taxi to and from the lunar surface to bring more rovers/extraction plants to make more propellant

Rate of CNS degeneration in open space, away from Earth, would render most humans useless in a matter of months. Who would have thought cosmic rays and iron / helium nuclei traveling near c pelting the skull for an extended period of time would damage neurological machinery in irreversible ways.

Stupid comic.

There are no resources in space that we can't more easily get here on earth.

Yeah, there's just an asteroid "nearby" containing several quadrillion dollars worth of platinum and to my recollection also helium.

Earth is finite. We're a mad, sloppy, degenerate, wasteful beast of a thing. Imagine the power of controlling that platinum. The parasite cannot resist.

False. that platinum is not concentrated native platinum. It's bound up in iron-nickel alloy. It's not worth shit because it would take too much energy to separate the alloy even if we had it here on earth. On earth, geological processes concentrate minerals we look for those concentrations. Let me guess... you also think it would be worth it to extract gold from sea water?

Space exploration is one gigantic waste of time. Everybody besides dumb neckbearded pseudo-intellectual redditors knows this.

I didn't know that. I suppose it makes sense that the supernova waves of a collapsing star would disallow a high concentration of pure anything to exist, unless it was previously part of another more complex system. Which is very improbable.

The means could exist to make the endeavor viable, whether here or in space, but I don't really know.

>mine earth
>fuck everything up
>die off because the ecology just had it's asshole blown out
>mine space
>can use the resources to turn earth into a paradise
>live forever because we don't need to shit where we eat anymore
You're being retarded on purpose, I'd bet good money on that

Would that still affect astronauts living on the moon or mars? With adequate shielding that is.

Until we can figure out a better method of propulsion, yes. Getting to even LEO is stupid expensive. Idiots on /k/ talk about rods from god or whatever the hell despite how much NASA says it's a complete waste of money. We can't even convince the government to do much with space other than spy sats. That should tell you something.

>can use the resources to turn earth into a paradise

Yeah that's not how the economy works, friend.

you guys i figured it out
i forgot about the radiation though until just now so
just put it underground

More because economics is the dismal ""science"" than through anything fundamental, though.

Human colonies are kinda a waste of time and money tbqh.
We should wait at least for human 2.0. Cosmic rays and jello babies wont be kind.

I have nothing against a lunar and martian outpost tho.

Why building a big mountain of 100+ km and a big hyperloop through it wouldn't work ?
The initial boost you'd gain if not enough to launch into orbit should reduce drastically the ammount of fuel needed no ?

>it would take too much energy to separate the alloy even if we had it here on earth.
Absolute nonsense. Space is rich in energy as long as you're not too far from the sun. And once you get the ball rolling,you can build more and more solar panels and refineries and factories out of the resources you've already gathered. Getting the platinum and other resources out is a matter of using heat and in situ chemical resources intelligently.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asteroid_mining

You're not gathering the resources for earth, although it might be possible to send some of it back if you're clever and can build cheap reentry capsules for it, but for yourself and to facilitate the expansion of the space-based economy. The real power and key determinate of space industry being a real thing is building spaceships and fuel depots and stations in space, and setting up trade routes and points of exchange in space for the people living in space. The return of investing in space is to create a new market and claim its resources so you can supply them to the people that go there seeking opportunity.

how anyone could just hand-wave away an entire budding industry with such arrogant ignorance astonishes me. Especially with some lame "oh it's too hard" that seemingly implies that no one involved in this has thought for a second about how to do it and ignores the active development of new techniques for mining and processing that will occur in the coming decades.

This is actually close to a real proposal for a rotating, tilted spinning ring shaped enclosure for just that purpose, boosting surface gravity to help with avoiding the negative effects of lower gravity. It would have to be pretty big to not be obnoxious, but it's totally buildable with modern technology.

Nah, it just takes a long time for things to happen in human spaceflight. We'll see people returning to the Moon in the next decade.

This

We'll gladly sacrifice a few thousand kids freeing people that hate being free but we can't send a few dozen to the moon to see what happens after a few years?

For the cost of one ME debacle we could have a moon base!

>Why building a big mountain of 100+ km
Our tallest structure is less than a kilometre tall. The tallest point on the earth is less than 9km above sea level. The space elevator is more realistic than this.

Why? you just need to pour tons of dirt.

>successfully privatized
>>>/reddit/

>Our tallest structure is less than a kilometre tall.
Soon.

Everest itself would exceed 10^10 tonnes of dirt, and would only be a small fraction of the size of something 100km tall. You are talking about scales that you don't have an understanding of.

Why not start on the everest ?

hi Newt

You have taken a small fraction from something immense. Congragulations. You still have 98% of the job left, and there are no more short cuts.

youtube.com/watch?v=J1MAg0UAAHg

I understand perfectly how it would work in space, but wouldn't using it on something like the moon or mars make people dizzy as fuck? You're essentially advocating a massive tilt-a-whirl/gyrotron, right? Won't the fact that there is existing gravity (weak as it is) constantly fuck up people's sense of balance and make them dizzy and nauseous all the time?

As I understand it you can get away with something like that in space because, as astronauts have noted, your body is always upright as far as its concerned so you wouldn't feel anything as your whole body just adjusts to the motion, but on a planet you'd always have gravity affecting you in addition to the spinning. But then, I could be completely wrong so please correct me in detail if I am.

Also, how would you get into it? In space the fact that you can move in 3D means that you could make the unit a big spoked ring with a rod through it and just enter through the rod, but how would you enter onto said ring system on a planet? An underground tunnel? The way you've drawn it makes it look like you'd have to stop the pod in order to enter/exit. Or are you just suggesting the spinning pod as an idea to temporarily store roasties?

whats next, terrestrial sponges?
hahahaha nigga thats straight retarded

>Is human space exploration dead for the time being?

Reusable rockets have just been invented. Within a decade we will have the capability to put thousands of tons per year into low orbit very cheaply. It will be the most exciting time for human space exploration since Apollo.

has anyone considered doing predictive teleoperation? IE, what you see on screen is just a prediction of what will happen when your signal gets there. It sounds like a good idea for mars and beyond.

Ah, resources, let's just gobble them all up

Delicious consumption

Absolutely. Right now it is extremely painful to control robots with one second lag time like we have on the moon or even satellites in geosynchronous. So the idea is that the operator queues up a bunch of commands in VR and then sends them to the robot and sees what it does.

We sort of do something like this with the Mars rovers, NASA does carry out simulations of what the rover is going to do.

Adequate shielding unfortunately means several meters of lead.

it would seem so from the outside, but in a contained habitat, you would not notice the spinning because you are spinning with it

>still being retarded
we have destructive resource gathering on earth
so we move that very same resource gathering to space instead of doing it on earth
we then take the material income we get, what ever it may be, to repair and improve the ecology of earth and make it an outstanding place to live

it's the only natural thing to do, I doubt the elites would be against the idea of the place they live becoming a paradise, they spend fucktons of money to enjoy such conditions already

things exist
thus they must be claimed and conquered
anything less is for faggots and hippies

>"resources of space"
>isn't a barren uninhabitable wasteland at least 100 miles away from the "earth" island
how dishonest

speak for yourself, you low effort bait poster

>how would you get into it

Guys a flipping genius!

Bringing back ressources is not really viable within the curretn paradygm. You'd need an independant base of operations in the kuiper belt able to produce modules to fly space rocks back to earth orbit for local mining.
Sadly, even though the concept to terraform mars or venus works on paper, the weak magnetic field would force us to live underground and would prevent us from maintaining more than a weak atmosphere (but we could totally get algae and bugs to live on it yo).
The only rock spheres in our system with a good magnetosphere are gaz giants moons. But hey, lo grav would only make us more fragile compared to earthlings. At least we get to live outside on fully terraformed planetoids.
The other way is the space station way. If we find enough thrust to move the weight of appropriate shielding or enough energy to keep up our personal electromagnet artificial planet core. At least long enough to get where we can leech off sun rays and mine asteroids forever.

I smell a shitpost.
a

People don't start innovating until there is a need.
There won't be a need until people's lives are adversely affected (death).

So let's get some people out there and see what happens! I retire in 15 years. I''d be happy to volunteer.

No, titan and ganymede actually have strong enough magnetospheres to shield you and titan has enough gravittional pull to keep an atmosphere (not sure about ganymede)

I was talking about resources and paradigm being in the same sentence.

This is a terrible analogy, getting to places in space with resources is far more difficult and time consuming than just getting to the island in that pic, and unlike in that picture, you can't just breath once their. You also don't have the resources to be self sufficient in space, when you could absolutely be self sufficient on that island. For example, if we went to colonize Mars, Mars doesn't have much for us besides space, it would be like if that island had no vegetation or access to fresh water that could be used for irrigation. If you're thinking of just going there and bringing things back, that is also extremely impractical, as the cost to get the resources far outweighs the benefit we receive from it.