Did knausgaard save literature by killing irony?

did knausgaard save literature by killing irony?

is his the voice that dfw foresaw?

what the fuck was the end of my struggle volume 3? why was there a tween orgy?

>tween orgy
sign me up

his novels have a suspicious amount of hebephilia in them. come to think of it, so did the ice palace

I've actually been thinking about how DFW might receive the Karl Ove books since I read them.
Hopefully on the poltergeist express. But, seriously, I think KOK might have been DFWs man.

DFW is reading KO's books in heaven

He literally (Yes, and i mean it) copied Proust.

Is this place the comfy palace?

gutter ball

>why was there a tween orgy?
pretty normal in scandinavia, did something similar when i was ~15

yes

i didnt even know what sex was until after college (if im completely honest with myself). reading his books makes me realize how sex-obsessed the rest of the world is.

i've been reading some turgenev and it seems to me that KOK copied russian realism just as much as he copied proust.

Saying this automatically tells you a person hasn't read Proust but only knows of Proust.

> did knausgaard save literature by killing irony?

Depends. Pynchon and Delillo is irony done right, despite what anyone else wants to say. It works and is necessary. The rest of the ironic postmodernists simply are hacks.

But, yeah, Knausgaard done good.

Ferrante>Knausgaard

>obsessed
I wouldn't call it obsessed. Sex and experimentation is just considered normal and natural here.

How do I get into him? Or how do I prepare rather, he seems quite challenging.

Just go in dry, m8. Start with Min Kamp book 1.

he's really not challenging at all (at least not in the pynchon/dfw sense of the word). he's very fun to read, actually. starting with min kamp book 1 is just fine.

How exactly is he like Proust? I love Proust but hearing "Knausgaard is the new Proust!!!!" from everywhere doesn't really make me want to read KOK at all. Why read the "new Proust" when you can read the real thing.

*schniff*, coke is the real thing. and so on and so forth.

>I didn't even know what sex was until after college
Was "college" a chalkboard in your parents basement by any chance?

no, it was a public university of the highest standard. although i regret that it was in the field of engineering as opposed to literature or psychology.

i had a very sheltered upbringing which i hope to turn into a successful career as a novelist. #newsincerity

is this fucking bait? i hope so

to be honest its about 80% truth and 20% snickering irony. i haven't quite matched up to good ole karl o yet.

Suiciders go to hell desu

Proust's prose is as unlike Knausgaard's as you can get. Disregard everyone who says that KOK is the new Proust, they're just pseuds posturing for attention

Similar structure, you could say. But then, Proust has a similar structure to Dante's Comedy (narrator talking about his former self and book ending with merger of new self with narrator).

Apart from that, there's nothing in common with Proust in terms of style or worldview, but I've only read the first two volumes.

>at least not in the pynchon/dfw sense of the word

Is DFW considered challenging?

His essays are pretty easy reads, but Infinite Jest is difficult. It's long, has chapters with unusual dialogue that aren't really critical to the main plot (Wardine be cry), and constantly requires the reader to flip back and forth between the main text and the footnotes. On top of that, some of the vocabulary and jargon in the text is unusual or highly specific. I haven't read The Pale King, but a long, unfinished tome about tax employees doesn't sound like a breezy read through The Hobbit, either.

You must be kidding, IJ is fairly easy reading. Yes it requires looking up some words but so do a lot of other books. I'll give you that it's long but it's no more complex than most books of much smaller lengths, it just takes more dedication to read. As for the foot notes the amount of them is comparable to a translation of Dostoevsky or Tolstoy, it's not that bad

>comparable to a translation of Dostoevsky or Tolstoy

Note even close. IJ has way more notes. Unless you are reading War and Peace translated by P&V (who translated the french with footnotes, which I think is retarded).

>my perspective on contemporary literature is based on Veeky Forums-memes

whats the alternative with the french translations? i thought it was better than if they just translated all the french to english

Garnett and Maude translated the French to English too. This makes for a much more enjoyable reading of the text.

Oh, and I should also say Tolstoy gave the Maude translation his seal of approval.

as in the text is all in english? as far as Pevear and Volokonsky go i read their translations of like 4 dostoy books and about half of their translation of war and peace before i learned that i got memed by bad translations

Yes, the entire text is in English. I've read a few translations of Dost. by P&V. I actually thought they were fine, even good. But leaving all that French in War and Peace seems like a bad idea, however that seems to be the modern way of doing things.

>Buying into the Ferrante hype

I like the french being left in, it makes sense in context of the Russian aristocracy at the time