Where to start with this hack, Veeky Forums?

Where to start with this hack, Veeky Forums?

WHEN I WAS

Here ya go lad

fuf

Spring Snow (really, the whole tetralogy is his masterpiece.)
Forbidden Colors

everyone says "The Sailor..." because that and The Sound of Waves are his easiest to find books. If you have access to good books or a university library, go for the two I mentioned.

Obviously Patriotism is worth reading, but people seem to think that it's Mishima at his best and purest, which it isn't. It lacks the wonderful plotting of his best work.

Why does Satoko not remember Kiyoaki. Please spell it out for me, I'm too dumb for this. I felt just as betrayed as Honda. Recently i reread Kinkakuji and there is a similar thought when Mizoguchi reads Kashiwagi's letters. "if I were now to stop believing in that memory, life itself would automatically collapse"

A YOUNG BOY

Just finished this book, what do I think?

Almost vomited upon seeing that cover.

how can one guy have such an amazing life, an author of all things too

Now imagine unwrapping it on Christmas morning in front of mom and grandma.

She did.

Yes, I phrased that poorly. I still don't understand why she felt compelled to pretend otherwise. I don't remember anything that should make her hold a grudge against Honda after all this time, this would also contrast starkly with the description of the purifying effect aging has had on her.

forgot to quote

SOMEBODY ONCE TOLD ME

MY FATHER held my nose to a train

He actually had a fairly shitty life and compensated by building a leather-daddy private army and committing sudoku for an ideal he knew was outdated and impossible to achieve.

A SMALL BOY

Patriotism seems to be the easiest to read in Japanese. Will my experience with him be compensated if I start with that?

>committing sudoku for an ideal
The outdated ideal was the pretext for the suicide. He knew it wouldn't work

yeah i said that in my post

I don't remember them too well, but those of his short stories that I've read didn't measure up to Kinkakuji or the tetralogy. There are touches of his sensuous prose style and psychological insight, but they lack the mesmerizing, reocurring and evolving images that can be found in his major novels. At least that's my memory of their impression after a possibly too superficial reading. I have only read Yuukoku and Kamen no Kokuhaku in Japanese and I'm unable to recall how difficult it actually was, but I don't think the difference was too discouraging. Maybe Kinkakuji or Gogo no Eikou aren't much more challenging.