How do I stop being a lazy brainlet?

I have no delusions about being an Ultra-Great Modern Newton who'll revolutionize the sciences and map the Universe. I just wanna be good at my job and make some money so that I'll stop being a Yuropoor.

I'm studying "physics", but I can't concentrate. I can't sleep. My stomach hurts all the time. I try to eat good,exercise, go to bed early, but... it's no use. Worst of all is, I waste my days solvinglike, 5 or 10 exercises and not doing much else. I failed 5 classes this year.

>ib4 kys brainlet
Giving up is not an option. I don't have anything else to do, and we can't change unis here that easy. I just want to get out with a 7/10 diploma and not be a complete fuck-up.

>I failed 5 classes this year

I'm sorry to tell you that you're not cut out for what you're studying. Failing 5 classes during your entire undergraduate studies alone would be abnormally high.

Stop being a whiny little shit and just study. There are no shortcuts.

But just like IQ is genetic, so is industriousness. So if you haven't made it at this point you probably never will. You will ve happier if you just gave up and try to forget your sorrows in vidya, doritos and mountain dew.

>I'm studying "physics", but I can't concentrate.

I feel you. I am the same but I study a shittier program. We just need to sit and study.

I suppose you are doing something very very wrong, there is something in your life you haven't told us about. I'ts either games, weed. Cut it.Sit down and study. How to focus ? You have the wrong mindset, remove all distractions that's music, food, buy earbuds. Grind. If you have ADHD you should obviously visit a doctor. Sleep 7-8 hours. It is going to be hard, mentally. In one moth of hard work your study habits should get better, at first its going to be rally hard, like 30 minutes and you will feel like quiting, you need work flow. People have a tendency to value something less valuable more when its in the reach of our hands, so its hard to study, for that ultimate goal of getting a PhD, so study because you want to, that's the way you should look at things. >My syntax here is shit, cause i'm ingmae while writing this and alt-tabing. Don't look for shortcuts man.

Guess I gotta go kms then.

Easier said than done.

>I'ts either games, weed.
I haven't played vidya in... 2 years, now? I have no Current Gen Consoles and my PC barely runs Witcher 2. I don't smoke or drink, not even coffee. I will admit that I daydream about movies and comics though. What I'd do, how I'd pitch it, stuff like that. I watch 2 episodes per day (one after lunch, one after dinner) and read for about an hour before going to bed.

To be fair, I know my problem already, I study with my PC open in order to check my Solution Manual and to upload exercises to PhysicsForums. Because of the temptation I browse the net at the same time. There are instances where I get distracted and spend 40 minutes between each exercise surfing the net.

I've not gone to a therapist because my folks are old-minded, but I honestly don't think I have something like that. A cousin of mine has it and we're not the same. What I do have though is a strange habit of "projecting" myself in characters, and trying to shape my own image around them. If a character I like is an engineer, I want to follow that path. 2 days later, after I've gotten bored of him and got into a, say, sorcerer, I want to get into theoretical physics and explore... things. This makes me NEED to change every account, from Ebay, to movieforums to my torrenting icon and name, to match that character. I waste about an hour per day doing that. Over and over. Depending on the character my mood changes as well.

I can't explain, it really. Wish-fullfilment? It's easier to project rather than to build yourself? I really don't know. Lowkey I hate myself for wearing glasses and braces. For having brown eyes instead of blue. For being 6'1 instead of 6'3. For being a Yuropoor instead of an American or Englishman. For nothaving learned anything other than my native tongue and english. For not knowing how to play the piano or code. I just loathe myself & have 0 self-confidence.

I'm studying to become a physicist as well. Like the post above me says: Destroy all distractions and anything that hinders your goal.

For example, beer. Beer is designed to make you feel good and dull away pain, but doing it constantly would just make you fucked. You have to know when to stop or you might as well stop pursuing your goal. Same goes for any other addiction/distraction.

How can you even fail 5 exams in a year? If I fail more than 3 I'll have to repeat the whole year (after seeing some sort of an administrative board that will decide that). Even if some miracle allows me to pass, I'll still be fucked credit wise

Well, for starters, I never attended any classes, other than the Labs, which were mandatory. The reason was because they were useless, as most professors didn't show up, or gave an awful lecture. I also got my books only 2 months before the exams.

I failed two classes in the first semester. One because it was hard and I figured I'd wait to take it a tad later. The other I messed up, didn't read the notes correctly and missed half the curiculum. It's just Gen Ed Chem, just a 3 days' worth.

In the next semester, I failed 3, because of a few reasons. I had an ear infection for two weeks, and I had a fever for another one. The two weeks I came back home during Easter, my old physics teacher borrowed my books to make copies, but he forgot them and went to his mountain cottage, so I lost another 2 weeks.

All in all, I lost about 1 month with sickness & the book situation. So I had about a month to study with my books, and another 1,5 months to study with stuff off the net. "Semesters" here are named like that, but are in reality about 4 months.

I'm not making excuses since there were days I strolled around and did just 1 exercise, but I've had a few out-of-my-control stumbles as well.

you're too comfortable

>From which country are you from?

Pay Bendbts Land

In what country do you study since you have, i presume 5-10 rating system?
Since you have truble with solvig problems i would recomend that, if you are first or second year, you ake haliday resnik or freedmans university physics and go throu theory and problems in those books. Reason for this is, those books are a lot easyier than european counterparts and will give you confidance boost for garder problens, not only that but it will help you understand basics better. If you are third or fourth year, find us problem books that are cover you course and do those, reason is the same as before.
Before you do any of this, take 2-3 days break from all studying, this will make you a little more relaxed and will ease your, i suppose, mild depresion.
When you stard to study again dont over do it, start with 3 hours with breaks in between, and increase that time every day. In about a month you will be able to push 7-8 hours of work.
You need to understand, since science and math programs in eu are harder then in us you will need to grind, so get used to it.

Go to Poland and drink cheap beer and stop caring about all that brain washing shit. That's what I do, and I was one of these british mommy-fund genius projects.

You need therapy. My mouth was agape reading about your compulsion to change your online account names and shit.

>Why is he not paranoid yet!?!?
Oh go relax and drink some piwo will you? It's friday after all!

>I have no delusions about being an Ultra-Great Modern Newton who'll revolutionize the sciences and map the Universe.
this is not as good as you may think. Sure, your objectives may be closer to where you are right now, but such a vague and short goal this affects your motivation. also why the fuck did you get in pysics if what you want is " I just wanna be good at my job and make some money so that I'll stop being a Yuropoor."? there are better options at both of those things. what do you want to do with your life, really? without a clear direction, any effort is not as focused and therefore useful as it should be
>To be fair, I know my problem already, I study with my PC open
you gonna stop that. upload the exercises later
>all of that shit about characters
man that´s fucking autistic honestly, but I won´t judge as I have done worse
>I can't explain, it really. Wish-fullfilment? It's easier to project rather than to build yourself? I really don't know. Lowkey I hate myself for wearing glasses and braces. For having brown eyes instead of blue. For being 6'1 instead of 6'3. For being a Yuropoor instead of an American or Englishman. For nothaving learned anything other than my native tongue and english. For not knowing how to play the piano or code. I just loathe myself & have 0 self-confidence.
Hating yourself, specially for things you had and have 0 control on is no good. you have to accept your shortcomings and move on, or do nothing because you are too busy bitching about how the ground was set before your first step. Use all of your energy to self improve

Does not help to self improve if you realize the money is tactically sprinkled in ways I will never benefit from but just become redirected & losing focus by.

wow
Just noticed my highschool physics teacher looked like David Lynch.

Oh come on, it's not "therapy-tier" bad. Just... weird...

>country
Pay Denbts Land

>first or second year
Just finished 1st

>take 2-3 days break
I actually haven't stopped. As soon as I got done with my finals I started work on the subjects I missed/failed.

>start with 3 hours with breaks in between
I could get behind that.

>also why the fuck did you get in pysics
I got in because I wanted to do "great things". But I figured out I'm just not smart enough, so if I manage to get out with a 7/10 and then get an 8-8.5/10 in my Post-Grad, it'll be enough to do something other than farming or fishing.

>you gonna stop that. upload the exercises later
Fair enough, but I still need the solutions manual to be open. I have the digital copy, not the physical form.

>man that´s fucking autistic honestly,
I know, but how do I stop it? I mean, all hands on deck... I used to think I was this universe's Doctor Doom for a while. I started reading Alistair Crowley for fuck's sake.

>Use all of your energy to self improve
Easier said than done. I wasn't like that. I went to the gym, I was studying a bit of german and coding on my own, I read. Nowadays I'm just a fat slob.

It all started during the final years of school. My tutors (more later) were really fucking bad at their job, but they were "family friends", so my parents just wouldn't get rid of them. When I say bad, I mean "coming to tutor at 23:00, eating chocolate, forgetting their books and leaving 20 minutes early while calling me fuckface if I screwed up an exercise". I ended up writting 5/20 in tests. We did eventually get rid of them, and I got on the right track, but I never really recovered.

Tutors: Just accept that everyone has either tutors, or goes to the "extra-school". No exceptions. The why is a long story. It's a country thing.

>I got in because I wanted to do "great things". But I figured out I'm just not smart enough, so if I manage to get out with a 7/10 and then get an 8-8.5/10 in my Post-Grad, it'll be enough to do something other than farming or fishing.
that´s a really vague idea in which you´d invest 4+ years of your life studying
>Fair enough, but I still need the solutions manual to be open. I have the digital copy, not the physical form.
getting a physical copy would be great, if not use leechblock or something symilar that blocks time wasting pages in your browser during working time
>I know, but how do I stop it? I mean, all hands on deck... I used to think I was this universe's Doctor Doom for a while. I started reading Alistair Crowley for fuck's sake.
Well, get a load of hard reality whenever you can. you are, for the time being, a, autistic fuck, and it´s in your hand and your hand only to change that. Maybe therapy could help you, but I can understand avoiding this kind of thing, specially if it costs you money and time
>Easier said than done. I wasn't like that. I went to the gym, I was studying a bit of german and coding on my own, I read. Nowadays I'm just a fat slob.
>It all started during the final years of school. My tutors (more later) were really fucking bad at their job, but they were "family friends", so my parents just wouldn't get rid of them. When I say bad, I mean "coming to tutor at 23:00, eating chocolate, forgetting their books and leaving 20 minutes early while calling me fuckface if I screwed up an exercise". I ended up writting 5/20 in tests. We did eventually get rid of them, and I got on the right track, but I never really recovered.
This is hitting /adv/ territory, but might as well ask: give me weight, a general idea of how your diet is and a general idea of how your day goes.

>that´s a really vague idea in which you´d invest 4+ years of your life studying
I figured it'd come to me. I liked the subject, was good at it before that whole debacle, and figured "why not". My other choices were doctor or comp-sci or whatever, stuff that I wasn't really interested in.

>getting a physical copy would be great
It's a pretty old book (Serway's Physics fro Scientists & Engineers, 8th Ed) and when I searched I didn't find anything. The one I have I found on a torrent site by accident, and it's only the first volume.

>Well, get a load of hard reality whenever you can.
I've outgrown that, it's just that at this point it's something that's always gnawing at me from the back of my head.

>give me weight, a general idea of how your diet is and a general idea of how your day goes.

Weight: 100 kg

Height: ~6'1

Diet: Nothing major, really. No pizzas, candy or junk food. Homecooked meals for lunch (meat or chicken mostly, with vegetables, or just plain vegetables on Wednesdays and Fridays), milk for breakfast, fruit during the afternoon and something light for dinner (boiled broccoli, mostly).I get a gyros once a week.

Day: I wake up at 8, start studying at ~9, do that until 13, go to bed at 15:30, wake up at 17, start at ~18, study until 21:30, do some physical exercises, take a bath, eat, watch a tv show/read some comics, go to bed at 00:30. End up sleeping at ~02:00. My problem is actualy staying focused during those studying hours.

Step 1: stop being lazy.

>It's a pretty old book (Serway's Physics fro Scientists & Engineers, 8th Ed) and when I searched I didn't find anything. The one I have I found on a torrent site by accident, and it's only the first volume.
just print what you need, It´s pretty cheap if you do it in black and white

>Weight: 100 kg
>Height: ~6'1
>Diet: Nothing major, really. No pizzas, candy or junk food. Homecooked meals for lunch (meat or chicken mostly, with vegetables, or just plain vegetables on Wednesdays and Fridays), milk for breakfast, fruit during the afternoon and something light for dinner (boiled broccoli, mostly).I get a gyros once a week.
could be better, could be way worse. no soda I assume?
>Day: I wake up at 8, start studying at ~9, do that until 13, go to bed at 15:30, wake up at 17, start at ~18, study until 21:30, do some physical exercises, take a bath, eat, watch a tv show/read some comics, go to bed at 00:30. End up sleeping at ~02:00. My problem is actualy staying focused during those studying hours.
that doesn´t seem too bad aside from the sleeping habits. why do you sleep in the middle of the day? a small siesta might help you, but 1 hour and a half seem like too much. regardless of it, you should sleep 8 straight hours a day if you want to perform better, and spending about an hour and a half trying to sleep seems like a serious problem to me

>just print what you need, It´s pretty cheap if you do it in black and white
I can't find any physical copies though. My library doesn't have any, I can't find it in bookstores, or the net.

>no soda I assume?
A coca-cola once every blue moon.

>why do you sleep in the middle of the day?
I get tired otherwise, and I can't function.

>1 hour and a half seem like too much
Well, I need about 40 minutes to fall asleep, so my "sleep time" is technically less than an hour.

>spending about an hour and a half trying to sleep seems like a serious problem to me
That's the best case scenario. There are times when I go to sleep at midnight and end up sleeping at four in the morning.

I did my annual check-up, and I really have no problems. no high cholesterol, no high blood sugar, everything else is normal too. I guess I just don't tire my body since I don't work out that much.

dropped out because i did not want to become a slave to your overlords which I realized was the only path forward if I had continued.

>I can't find any physical copies though. My library doesn't have any, I can't find it in bookstores, or the net.
Why would you need a physical copy to print it? either use a personal printer connected to your PC or bring an USB with the pdf to a printing store
>Well, I need about 40 minutes to fall asleep, so my "sleep time" is technically less than an hour.
>>spending about an hour and a half trying to sleep seems like a serious problem to me
>That's the best case scenario. There are times when I go to sleep at midnight and end up sleeping at four in the morning.
>I did my annual check-up, and I really have no problems. no high cholesterol, no high blood sugar, everything else is normal too. I guess I just don't tire my body since I don't work out that much.
okay, forget all the petty bullshit I said until now, this is your worse problem by far. not only are you wasting ton of time during your day in just trying to get asleep, but you´re not getting enough sleeping time to funcion. I seriously would consider fixing this my number 1 priority if I were you, nothing aside diet can have as much impact in your general well being as the quality of your sleep.
magnesium supplements are a good starting point as there´s a whidespread problem regarding it and it affects sleeping patterns, but it´s not going to be enough. Sleep without limits during weekends to get as many hours as you can until you fix this
also I would try to move your whole routine to daylight hours as soon as possible
>I get tired otherwise, and I can't function.
no shit, I´m wondering how can you even get 3 hour studying sessions with such a sleep habits, no wonder you are tired

>Why would you need a physical copy to print it? either use a personal printer connected to your PC or bring an USB with the pdf to a printing store
Oh, you meant the one I have storred in my PC. I thought you were talking about V2, which I can't find anywhere. Gotcha.

>magnesium supplements
I'm already taking some Mollers Omega-3 Tablets and Magnesium Vitamins (I got them as per my doctor's and pharamcist's recommendation).

>no shit, I´m wondering how can you even get 3 hour studying sessions with such a sleep habits, no wonder you are tired
There have been days where I didn't sleep for, well, a whole day. Dunno, it depends on my mood. If I'm too down, I cannot function. If I'm too high, I'm too happy to focus. I need to be somewhere in-between.

>I thought you were talking about V2, which I can't find anywhere
don´t you know any classmate who has it? someone has to have it if you are using it in class
>I'm already taking some Mollers Omega-3 Tablets and Magnesium Vitamins (I got them as per my doctor's and pharamcist's recommendation).
well that´s good then
if possible I would try to increase your physical workout time to see if that tires you enough. sure, 1 extra hour of workout would seems like a bother at first, but you´re already wasting ton of time trying to sleep, so really, you are not losing anything. Also avoid anything exciting near bedtime, including exercise. bright screens also fuck with your sleep alot, either avoid them near bedtime or install a program that automatically changes them to an orange filter (I have one, but I don´t remember the name)

>don´t you know any classmate who has it?
Nope. I'll probably do some digging on ebay again. Something's bound to turn up.

>if possible I would try to increase your physical workout time to see if that tires you enough.
Last summer I used to go to the nearby gym where our old personal-trainer used to work, but this year I haven't had the time. I have a few machines at home, so I'll see what I can do with them.

Thanks for the advice user, I really appreciate it!

No problem, I was in a similar situation to yours a few years ago. Just take care of your body and it will pay off