Virgin Research

Do you research like a virgin, Veeky Forums?

Am I supposed to get any of this? EE major btw

Nevermind

Literal lab technician here. Forever in a hurry.

Shoutout to myself some years ago when 2 drops of 98% sulfuric acid fell on my leg. Wound would not close in weeks.

Who needs a fume hood with chloroform? Chloroform is a meme.

Who needs gloves when using nitric acid... it just makes your skin yellow.

What about people who want to wear gloves when using acetone... like get out of my face dude.

>EE major
No, you probably wouldn't """get""" research because engineering isn't real science. Get out

Fuck you Electical Engineering is infinitely harder than some stupid biology degree. Wow you can hold a beaker big fucking deal I'm doing multi variable calculus and building innovative circuits. There's a reason engineers are respected and scientists are left out you autist

>Engineers are respected
Keep telling yourself that, [math]\mathbb{FORMULA}\bullet\mathbb{SHEET}[/math].

kek

im a mechanical engineer and I don't find this funny either

why would you need to hold a pipete with two hands anyway

maybe you should just accept that scientists are too autistic to be funny

Then why is the US Secretary of State one :)

>Multivariable calculus

Anyone worth their salt did this shit in high school user

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>calculus

so this is the power of engineers

Biology SJW feminists detected
Why don't you sip on your kombucha and let the grown ups (engineers) talk

kek

How do I into research ? I am undergrad.

>Who needs gloves when using nitric acid... it just makes your skin yellow.

what if I'm already yellow?

I wish those memes would just die already. The virgin walk was midly funny but applying it to every fucking situation imaginable is really like being a 40 years old marketing guy who just discovered rage comics.

it's almost like engineers use math to build things while pure meth heads use it similar to a fantasy novel. I wonder why engies get paid the most in STEM, hmmm.

>multi variable calculus
*breathes in*...
...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH

Ask a professor if they need help in the lab

>Calculus
Do people actually think it's difficult?

Which is the worst lab procedure?

For me it's DNA shit. Too many steps.

>tfw going to graduate with my undergrad soon
>realized i want to do research
>no professor will accept a volunteer research assistant going into their last semester

did i just fuck myself over?

Give professor some good succ.

Have you asked? They might just have you washing glassware but give you a fancy title.
Although if you've already been accepted to grad school don't sweat it

This
More biology hipster faggots detected

>washing glassware
i'm majoring in computer science, anything more than keyboard and mouse is too much for my delicate feminine hands

I graduated with an EE degree and have been working as an engineer full-time for around 14 months now.

There is nothing respectable about this shit. It's degrading and worthless. If you think you're going be using math/science, or if you think you're going to "innovate" anything, you've been lied to.

But hey at least you get to make a lot of money, right? It only cost me my soul.

Do I even have to be good? I keep getting bounced to other profs :(

>It only cost me my soul.
how so?

Define DNA shit. Extractions? PCR?

If you have a STEM degree you are a virgin to begin with lmao

While I was in school I enjoyed learning, and I enjoyed my classes. I was legitimately passionate about what I was doing.

I don't give a shit about my job or my company, I just need the money and the work experience. The passion is gone.

Trying to put on a smile and save up enough reserve funds to pay off the rest of my loans, finish my master's and get into research, maybe get a PhD.

The PhD will probably be even more miserable than my job, but I feel like it's right for me. I would be a student forever if I could.

To add a bit to this, I'm sure that there are some jobs in industry that aren't miserable, it's just that industry is very different than I thought it was. Liking math and science is not helpful. Being able to communicate is.

I'm hoping that working for a private company in research will be a happy middle-ground, where I can make money and enjoy the standard benefits, but will still be able to use my brain and create innovative technologies.

Right now, the majority of my job is just fighting company process and processing documentation.

I didn't study EE, but my experience is the exact same as yours otherwise.

I really want to go back to school to pursue a master's and get into research, but I need to make money for my parents and younger siblings, can't afford to drop everything and enter a graduate program for a few years making almost no money. Maybe one day

You forgot does X-ray experiments inside of the hutch.

Im afraid i constantly shrek to get attention

wtf?

There was somebody I graduated HS with who took Multivariable Calculus as a senior...he went on to get a History degree rofl

And keep pretending like the circuits you guys are learning about aren't 100 year old technology

i thought wearing gloves while using nitric acid is a huge no, doesnt it cause the gloves to ignite instantly?

>DNA
RNA is like DNA but even more annoying because of worrying about RNase contamination

ITT: Math faggots in denial that math only exists to support the REAL science, physics.

And yeah, chemistry is physics, too. Chem Engineer here. Have fun trying to make ends meet with your masters, I'm just making 6-figures with a bachelors.

Is engineering worth it? What if I fucking suck at programming?

Depends, how much do you like to suck cock?

I find every one funny

Why are engineers the biggest try hards, yet suck at interpreting data?

It's like you guys only read directions LOLOLOL

faggots.

Politicians aren't respected asswipe.

>Calc
Ayy lmao. I use calc and I'm a fucking microbiology undergrad. That's like bragging about knowing how to heat shock E coli. It's rudimentary and the freshest of freshmen worth their salt already know how to do that.

A lot of the times (>90% of the time) you don't need to (ex: portioning for growth media, but sometimes it is necessary. Only example I can think of is fucking gels. Gels take time to make. You need to be extremely steady or else you'll tear one of the wells and you'll have to make another one.

>autoclaves plastic tools

lost it

>Only example I can think of is fucking gels. Gels take time to make. You need to be extremely steady or else you'll tear one of the wells and you'll have to make another one.

Gels are fucking easy m8, they have big ass wells indicating where to inject, even PA gels. I've never had to two hands, Just completed microbio BS

t. virgin
Sorry that we caused you to introspect too deeply.

>he doesn't like it so that must mean he's personally hurt
Wow, you absolute cretin. Here's an EPIC MAYMAY for you, don't say you hate it or else it means you really wish you could be a spoiled little bitch :^)

>100 year old technology
More like 30 years, but what's wrong with that if it's still reliable ?

Nice bait, but you shouldn't have emphasized multi variable calculus that much. It makes it way too easy.

>end of semester
>give professor a detailed suggestion for a research project, ask if he would be willing to PI
>apply for undergraduate research fellowship, complete proposal in one day, submit to professor, he sends it off the same day
>initial proposal is done two weeks in advance of deadline
>selected as finalist, asked to send a more detailed proposal
>finish it same day, submit it two weeks in advance of deadline
>get email two days after deadline stating that I forgot to submit proof of citizenship
>feel like a fucking dunce
I'll still get the grant, but it kills me to see such a dumb mistake in my hot streak.

Chad breakthrough

I have all the biologists run around doing experiments in the lab for me, I just record the data and do the real work making sense of the data :^)

only cucks work in laboratories

He isn't a politician, he is a bureaucrat.

who the fuck pipettes with two hands?

some people have shaky hands, nigger

Biofags can barely handle calculus, they're worse than engineers.

But seriously. Calculus is a joke. If you struggled with it at all you are a certified brainlet.financial

no i research in the field
i bet you cant even smoke in your lab, sad

If you make your own meth or PCP u can

The way we do it, they're tiny. Like just wide enough for the P10 pipette tip. The wells are usually long and skinny.

Geological field work is complete Chad research.
>measurements are crude as fuck
>need to hike/climb to collect data
>sleep in tent every night
>shower weekly
>drink nightly, smoke weed in the field
>bang other geologists or trustafarians you meet during camp
On top of that, geophysics is the most difficult, meritous, and profitable type of physics--which means mad lab/textbook physics nerds.

the only thing that makes geology field work better than biology fieldwork is the lack of impending doom. I never see geologists crying about geodiversty loss

>>Who needs gloves when using nitric acid.
nah bro, you wear cotton gloves that way you can use the explosions to move around faster.

Dont study biology.

>t. Biochemist

t. angry virgin

why not?

ITT: Butthurt biology hipster SJW kombucha-drinking numales who got their fee-fees hurt because they regret not going into engineering

Do you feel cooler for not being an engineer? I can't wait to graduate and get a six figure computer engineering job while the rest of you suck dick for grant money.

Newsflash, science hipsters: Biology and chemistry could be studied by literal apes. Physics and math are for complete autists and they have to practical purpose whatsoever. Engineers build stuff, they design almost everything you use, even your faggoty lab equipment. Without us you would be nothing.

That's nice.

Dumb Business Chad + Genius Scientist Autistic = Engineer, a master of 2 worlds.

>Scientists make a joke thread
>Engineers show up and absolutely sperg the fuck out
Like clockwork

How do you rationalize not getting the actual results that make a difference yourself? I'm at the same boat, I think working in a lab and doing the same shit would become boring very fast even though the lab classes are interesting because they're varied. But at the end of the day I like working on the computer a lot more. But you're just processing the results, not helping design and conduct the experiment, that's what annoys me. Should I do it? Should I take the bioinformatics route?

Do what you like. But I was in the same boat as you. Majored in molecular bio and then did a masters in bioinformatics with computational biology. In terms of job prospects it's much better to be dry lab, most biotech firms will treat you like a technician the second you touch a pipette.
Here in San Diego a entry-level biotech wet lab position with a PhD is about $60-80k, whereas a similar dry lab position (bioinformatics, comp bio) is about $90-100k.

>inb4 just get a CS degree hurr durr
If you want to work with computers specifically in bio research you need a bio related degree. My firm even accepts plain molecular bio majors (if they have programming experience) but doesn't consider vanilla CS ones

Yeah, I'm at the final year of my mol. bio degree in a top UK uni (I'm not from UK), and we can select the subjects we take in the final year, and one of them is definitely going to be bioinformatics for me, to see how I like it. Everyone seems to want bioinformaticians in the market right now.

I'm just trying to decide if I would ever be willing to go through gruelling repetitive lab work (glorified cooking) just to be able to say that I produced a result, I made a difference. But it's probably not worth it. I hope I can contribute enough with bioinformatics to feel like I'm making a difference, but that remains to be seen.

Thanks a lot for the info.

I got nitric and hydrofluric acid on my hand a few times, I went yellow without any pain.

Its dumb and jobless. Research is mind numbing like retail wageslave.

polyacrylamide? Agarose? Never had a problem regardless

What do yall think of like Synthetic Biology then if its like a perfect fusion of bio and engineering

I think it's becoming too popular; the field will be saturated pretty fast. Other than that, pretty good, very interesting applications. Lab work's still gonna be tedious though no matter what.

Is it really becoming that saturated? I'm going to be applying for grad schools for synthetic biology soon but it seems like its still only in top-tier schools, so I expected it to still be small

To be fair I'm not sure about every university, but my uni gave me the impression that it's becoming popular. Not to mention that engineers will want a piece as well, bioengineers specifically, which is becoming established as an undergrad degree. Time will tell, but you should be just fine for now. Just make sure you like wet lab work.

Aight thanks my man, Im a biochem major but I got a lot of math and a lot of labwork under my belt, so I hope that its enough to be able to go into the field. Any chance you could tell me what uni you're in (for my grad school search)?

There are so many grad school positions, you'll probably be fine. I'm not related to the field nor do I plan on getting involved, but I've talked to a few researchers. When I tried getting an internship under a synth bio lecturer, he told me they aren't accepting any because they have too many master's students.

imperial

Fantastic, thanks, really appreciate it.

No need, we do have to worry about fuckwits poaching fossils though.

Am I the only engineer that recognizes that I am too dopey to be a scientist? I hate theory and just accept that I can just take what scientist come up with and try to atleast make it useful

I've noticed this. They always seem so insecure.

No one cares, because it has nothing to do with being an engineer. You just simply don't like theory so you will be a shitty engineer who can't solve even basic shit with a BSc. In other words you will be one of the thousands of average retards universities produce these days.

>I can just take what scientist
No, you can't. That requires theory too.

>I use calc and I'm a fucking microbiology undergrad.

You use babby calc, not multi variable and vector calc. There is a big difference regardless of what the epic droll jokesters on here claim.

>I'm doing multi variable calculus

10/10

t. EE who was too stupid to go to grad school

t. freshman

Reminder that EE Grad students & EE PhD innovate through Research (in academy, or at some top tech company lab)
Bachelors don't innovate in engineering just as Bachelors don't innovate in science.
EE PhD are much better paid than Physics PhDs & Engineering Bachelors by the way.

nope, I have a grad degree in EE

stop whining that you have a non-design job with a non-design degree

t freshman