Anyone got this? It's #1 on Amazon currently, and I've always loved a bit of folklore 'n' fable. Any good?

Anyone got this? It's #1 on Amazon currently, and I've always loved a bit of folklore 'n' fable. Any good?

Other urls found in this thread:

sagadb.org/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Read the eddas not this shit

this and then the Sagas everything else is just a meme

I assume it's a Gaiman-y, Norse-flavored version of Edith Hamilton's Mythology?

>reading a hack version instead of Crossley-Holland
Why?

i've got a signed copy
i haven't read it yet
sorry

That shit is too expensive. Cant find a paperback version.

luckily these are 800 years old and therefore don't have any copyright
you can find them all for free here: sagadb.org/ most of them in English

But I want it on my shelf to look cool.

I didn't say that.

This isn't me.

Time to hang yourself

>reading from a screen
>owning a mem-e-book reader
no u

>Roberto Calasso will never do for Norse mythology what he did for Greek and Indian myths

Why live?

Just learn Old Norse and read the Eddas

.epub and other formats easily found on the interwebz--go git ursef a copy boy.

Does anyone know if pic related is any good?

I read it and enjoyed it a great deal. It's an anthology, but it doesn't contain all the sagas.

can't vouch for the translation but as I recall it has some strange inclusions and exclusions
there was at least one of the most famous sags it didn't include and a few of the whatever sagas that are included for seemingly no reason

it's probably a decent enough starting point though including both Njáls Saga and Egils Saga which are the two longest and best ones

HENRY ADAMS BELLOWS

Neil Gaima is a FAGGOT

>Neil Gayman
Make sure you get ready player one too

that's written by ernest cline though. whats wrong with neil gaiman? i havent read any of his work, genuinely wondering.

Coraline is an impeccable "todorovian" fantasy novel
Nevertheless he is one of the authors limited by audience and current market

What means todorovian?

I haven't read any of his books but he's one of those nerd losers who nerds like. Those people who can't interpret subtlety and require everything draped in a vaneer of epicness but totally lacking in any substance. Maybe Gaiman's not like that, I dunno. But thems the folks what read him.

>i havent read any of his books but...

Tzvetan Todorov divided fantastique into 3 categories:
- weird (étrange) - the ending can be explained scientifically (ritchie's sherlock Holmes)
- merveilleux (marvelous) -it is normal to us that paranormal things occur (harri potta )
- fantastique - ending nad whole paranormality cannot be explained. It can be real, a dream, hallucination etc