So you want to get a PhD in mathematics

youtube.com/watch?v=Q1IcXuK0FwE

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Kk8q500rYo4
youtube.com/watch?v=ozqRR6dW3vE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I make math i dont need no degree

what a waste of time

what can you even do with a math degree for real?

Obviously besides the niche occupations you have no chance at landing

statistics, cs, actuarial sciences, finance, industrial engineering.
you probably don't have a degree in anything or do anything beyond differential calculus so it's okay.

>so you want to get a PhD in mathematics

Where the hell did you get this idea? Who are you? Why are you talking to me?

Where I live in Bay Area, CA you can get paid $120k/yr with a MS in Math. Large job growth too. Also, my rent and living expenses total under $30k/yr.
If you have only a BA/BS is math, then you can hired pretty easily as a highschool tutor for $25-$30 per hour.
If you think math is just niche occupations, then you probably just live in a rural area where there aren't jobs of any kind, much less math jobs.

What would you say job prospects are like for MS Statistics specifically?

Not him but an MS in Statistics has among the best job prospects. If you're interested in Stats, then fucking do it. It's a solid career choice.

What kind of jobs? I can only imagine math preparing you for data science type jobs and that's only if you concentrate more on computer science / statistics.

Was Bough Nukh a Pole or a Ukrainian?

youtube.com/watch?v=Kk8q500rYo4

Is this one of those "let me tell you why you shouldn't? Coz It's hard, wah wah, salary wah, jobs wah, I'm a big fucking baby wah" all recited with a fake smile videos?

youtube.com/watch?v=ozqRR6dW3vE

Sour grapes. Stay mad pleb.

>learned algebra, calculus, analysis and ODE during highschool
>not even close to ever being accepted at Harvard or anything like that

do people understand how autistic and rich you need to be to be accepted at PHD Ivy League?

Just be asians

the path to become a PHD at Ivy League:

>be asiab
>be a perfect student during school(I mean, really perfect)
>score high in the math olympics
>have very rich parents
>be a perfect undergrad student
>suck a ton of professor cock

this will give you a chance.

that or have some kind of bs affirmative action angle, for me it was being from canada in conjunction with having a 4.0 in my undergrad got me into columbia

>Canada
We are going to have to build another wall.

you realize that being asian actually reduces your chances of admission right? it's the ''working your ass off while ignoring every other aspect of life like an asian'' that you're looking for.

why? it's not Canada the country with less than 60% white people. They should build a wall.

you're right tho, asians have a harder time because the universities on't want to become chinatown.

Can I get a R&D job with a math PhD?

>$120k/yr
What a shithole do you live that doesn't start with 300k?

Learn programming.

I don't think it's common to take topology as an undergrad. Most people just see the metric space topology stuff from an analysis course.

Could someone make a Phd on math, but have a work in any something else, and try to have it as a hobby just like Fermant and can be taken seriously?

>Can someone have Math as a hobby while working in another profession.
I know one Physicist who won a Fields Medal in Math, even without a PhD in Math.
He had BSc in History, PhD in Physics, & did Math Research as Side Work & become the 1st & only person who won Fields Medal (equivalent as Nobel) in May without a PhD in Math.
The name of this legendary demigod is:
>
t. Edward Witten.

Dear god , thank you, i almost fell for the Prestigious humble math life meme, i want to take this a really great hobby, but i don't want to think in suicide if i can't make a publishing every three months