Recent Purchases Thread

Recent Purchases Thread

Post em, and Rate them

These are my next couple month reads

+Augustine, Russians
Is hypersphere actually readable or just a joke?

>look at all these books i'll never read

A compilation of Hölderlin's poetry and a collection of German poetry, both bilingual.
I can understand German relatively well, but my vocabulary is still small.

Jersualem is amazing so far, about 400 pages in. It does get kind of up its own ass quite often doe. Supergods is supposed to be amazing, never been disappointed with Morison before. Read a a few chapters out of shield of Achilles, seems already outdated but whatever It doesn't seem too tough to read. Being and nothingness I'll prob put off til the end of the semester when I have time to read something dense. No desire to read power of silence except my mom really wants me to. Learned a lot from roots of qigong in the first 100 pages. Recommend it for anyone interested in chi or energy work. Free will is required reading for a determinism class. It's okay.

Also OP, fuck johnny got his gun. I can't imagine anyone reading that for fun

Don't waste your time with Castaneda

stop these pathetic gay threads

>bumping threads you don't like
smart one friendo

He does have a point though. These threads are fucking worthless.

Most threads on Veeky Forums (and Veeky Forums) are worthless, pointing it out doesn't help. The only thing you can do that's worthwhile is try to foster discussion where you can: ask about what people are reading, give recommendations, talk about what you're reading. If you aren't trying to raise the quality of discourse, then why even come here in the first place?

They aren't worthless. People actually tend to talk about books and give recommendations in these threads, unlike most of the threads on this shitty board.

>upside down photos
gr8 android m8

>not replying to the person you're talking to
gr8 post m8

Current stack.

how's that christian mysticism book?

I haven't cracked into it yet, but it's looking like an excellent primer for the uninitiated. It has a ton of selections, from modern mystics (Weil) to some of the ol Church daddies (Augustine obvi) to a whole slew of medieval mystics from all periods and places (Origen, Eckhart, Teresa of Avila, ect). That being say, all of the passages are very short. so I'd say it's great if you want to get an idea of what authors you'd enjoy with the realm of Christian mystic writing.

Have you read much else about early christianity and theology? I'm fascinated by the origins of christian theology/doctrine, always looking for more good literature on the subject.

These are the ones I've bought most recently.

Current perusals. How am I doing?

I like that Satori in Paris, haven't read it yet but I've been looking for a cheap copy.

i'm a student

Yep, you're a student alright.

Seems pretty cozy though

As much as I always want scream start with the greeks (thanks lit), if you're strictly interested in theology I'd say at least start with Plotinus and Porphyry (them emanations, man).

As to the origins of christian theology, Justin Martyr (started the tradition of claiming Aristotle, Plato, ect were "unknowing christians" via logos, also an early apologist), Tertullian (introduced the trinity), Origen (intense ascetic, another apologist, more logos) are a few I'm familiar with. Deffo leaving out a heck ton that are probably worth checking out but i'm sleepy.

Although many of these early christian boys were synthesizing neo-platonism and christianity, the big one is of course Augustine

After him most scholars agree you'd be entering into the medieval period. Pseudo-Dionysius and Eriugena being your next targets methinks.

If you're into literary criticism/theory, continental philosophy, and the classics, you should check out Lessing's Laocoon if you haven't already. The title is more fanciful than descriptive as it's just not reflections on the Laocoon group sculpture, but also an early phenomenological account of how you approach a literary work and a picture, respectively, and Lessing makes some interesting points about classic aesthetic ideals.

Its nice to pretend it has a plot, pretty entertaining read, so far there is a loosely linked plot but I doubt it will hold.

kek stop projecting m8

most people buy books to read, just cause you buy em to look at and feel pompous and never crack the spine doesn't mean everyone else does that

wasn't this just in some random thread about really obscure books?

>count of monte crisco

GOAT revenge adventure, modern library ed. kinda meh tho

thanks! i think it's on the syllabus for one of my courses, but i'll try and squeeze it in otherwise.

DUDE

I've gotten more than these because I'm a half-crazed addict. But, barring the Walzer book, I've gotten all of these within the last couple of months. I actually have independent copies of the prince and the discourses but they're in another state and I wanted another translation for comparison. Presently reading the Canetti book and the Borgia book. I also have another copy of The Politics (poli sci grad) however that one was a fucking dollar so I thought "why not two?" Enchiridion is zippy and good.

Excited to get to some lit again (Lolita). Lapham's actually led me to Canetti.

i already had a copy of lotr but these versions are much nicer
the hardback without the title on the front is the painted veil

have fun with lolita friend

Is the zodiac novel any good? I was actually thinking in getting into the zodiac killer a bit more since his story is so interesting. Is it insightful at all?

idk, i just bought it

while a big part of it seems to be showing off the money you dropped on a bunch of book that will take forever to read, these threads are somewhat helpful for recommendations. it's easy to scan through someone's photo and then search up a title that jumps out at you, or recommend similar works, discuss them, etc.

no pics but I've recently bought:
Peter Sotos - Tick
Arthur Machen - Ritual & Other Stories
a 70's hardback containing Joan of Arc's original trial manuscript translated into English

This everything in total that I got last month. Building up a library of classics and good books for me to read when I'm an old man.

Books I did not purchase last month because I already had them as hand-me-downs, bought them before last month, or gifts.
>Bible
>Lord of the Flies
>Catcher in the Rye
>Ender Books (I lost Speaker of the Dead, and can't find it).
>All Quiet on the Western Front
>Night by Elie Wiesel

not great overall but folio was certainly a find of the week

10$ at half price books

Not purchases but recent library grabs

Stack from the other day

>the blurb on the fucking spine
Everytime.

Stephen King & Peter Straub, Black House, The Talisman
Stephen King, Duma Key

Got all these for under $10 at my local thriftstore. Pretty happy

I looked everywhere for the 3rd volume of "The Gulag Archipelago" but I couldn't find it there. I'll have to pick it up online so I can have the complete series.

Apparently this version of Gravity's Rainbow is known to have several spelling errors and commissions. I haven't read it yet, so I may get a different copy later.

I got the three in front, really great finds for a spanish speaking country, pretty good condition and dirt cheap. Picture by the people I bought them from.

That GR has one missing line which has been fixed in later editions. Don't fall for the meme.

stop reading Derrida and Marx

These books would be interesting if the poster did not live in upside down world.

Yeah, I wrote in the missing line with a pencil. Everyone keeps saying that there are TONS of other errors but they never tell what they are. They only give that 1 missing line as an example.

So I should be good then since I fixed that one line?

this

The ink literally wipes off with your hands.

Awful edition. Awful.

Either way, I got it for 50 cents so I'm happy.

Then don't wipe off, problem solved

did you set the timer on your camera and then fling it past your bookshelf?

I emailed Penguin and was able to get a new one sent for free by proving I had bought an edition with errors. They just ask for a few numbers, and I sent some pictures for good measure. They sent it next day and it was here within a week.

Never seen the ML COMC before. Don't know how good that edition is, but the story is great. Hope you enjoy it!

>Brought City of God
>Haven't even finished Exodus

OF HIS
OF HIS

I really like this image.
Did your read the works of Pocock, Skinner and Viroli?

>Count of Monte Christo
Fucking best adventure book ever. That was one of the most awesome things I've read, made me want to just take off and travel and go on adventures myself.

The prison part dragged on for really long though and I almost quit there but it's worth it and really sets up the motivation of MC for the rest of the book.

Nice with Hyperion and 2666
You have any insight of what you're expecting in Hyperion? Try reading some Keats beforehand, it will enhance the experience.