This was a goddam good book. Too bad i read most of it anticipating a horrible rape that fortunately never happened...

This was a goddam good book. Too bad i read most of it anticipating a horrible rape that fortunately never happened. (What's up with this meme anyway?)

So what are your' are thoughts on it? Anything else i should check from Salinger?

So, did he rape Phoebe or not? What do you think, user?

How did you not catch that?

Read it last summer. Very comfy. I love Holden's worldview.

i thought there was a rape too

it made the ending that much more intense for me.

It's honestly really amazing.

What's even more amazing is how many people gather a different meaning on it.

for example enjoys Holden's life view.
And while I believe Holden is somewhat relatable, he is ultimately a character that we are meant to sympathize with.

He's dealt with quite a bit for a boy his age, and he can't really cope well because he feels so disconnected from society and esp people his own age.

He doesn't want to grow up but he's at that pivotal point where everyone is and is losing their innocence.

I always like to go on Goodreads and see how many people put 1 star on this book because
"WOW HES SUCH A WHINY CHARACTER"

fucking mongoloids

That's because they are used to reading books about 16 year old girls who are skilled in all forms of martial arts, who's parents were killed in front of them, and who only show genuine sadness in one fleeting moment to a handsome but caring 16 year old boy who falls asleep with her, on the night before she storms a floating castle full of goblins to avenge the death of her parents and save Gaia from a moonbeam that will power a robot gods fortress of darkness.

>He read the abridged version.

I read it and went out and got Nine Stories, I haven't read them yet, but I understand why JD Salinger is considered an essential American Author

The image of him breaking the windows in his garage really stuck with me after reading this.
Sometimes if I'm feeling really upset or depressed about something I'll think about Holden in that context.
I really think Salinger did a great job expressing how Holden really felt about the death of his brother, and it juxtaposed the shallow facade he puts up and the depth of his character's experiences really well.

Pretty top-tier lit imho

why the fuck was this book considered contraversial, nothing even happens in it ffs just him mopping around new york nearly banging a prossy but pussying out then going back home for christssake, the writer is a goddamned phoney

esme will fuck your shit up. just a heads up.

>The challenges generally begin with Holden's frequent use of vulgar language,[36][37] with other reasons including sexual references,[38] blasphemy, undermining of family values[37] and moral codes,[39] encouragement of rebellion,[40] and promotion of drinking, smoking, lying, and promiscuity

When I read it I expected it to be shitty, due to how people speak about it, but it was actually a very good book.

It really is.

It's a masterpiece. It has everything about adolescence, the innocence, the pain, the wonder.
The prose is a marvel. It shouldn't be taught in school though, it may be easy to analyze but it doesn't deserve the educational treatment and malaise.

I wish I also lived in a time where writing "fuck" a few times will make my book world-wide known.

This reap meme's purpose is to verify if someone actually read the book

I thought most of the controversy came from the Lennon shooting. I really have no clue.

>hiding his own phoniness by calling others phonies
kek

that horrific incestous rape of a 9 yo duh

anyway, we should have more books like this to inspire wanna be killers
one of the greatest strenght of this book is that helped killing john lennon

>Holden
>phony

He literally "tickle fights" Phoebe and likes to pinch her butt. What more evidence do you want?

is being 21 and identifying with holden bad? it embarrasses me to think that i relate with an angsty 16 year old boy.

Holden did literally nothing wrong and if you think otherwise you're a phony

non-phony detected

It would be a poor fit with the rest of the novel. Holden wants to keep kids innocent.

would read teebeeacht

Of course he does. It's his tremendous guilt speaking.

that person would be me

the book is literal shit
>poor written prose
>little to no plot
>egocentric protagonist that lacks vocabulary and perhaps an indication of his lacking intelligence that won't stop crying about his diminutive existential worries

honestly N O O N E C A R E S holden

i do...

What's it like being this wrong

>people think the rape is a meme
wtf happened? are you all subvocalizers because your comprehension is shit

Have we gone 720° and liking this is now contrarian?

But subvocalizers have more comprehension

>yfw Holden is literally "holdin" on

I feel like you may like Evangelion

Very similar treatment to that MC, everything goes fucking crazy at the very end which can turn people off hearing about it