Let's say there is a man and a turtle that agree to race

Let's say there is a man and a turtle that agree to race.
The turtle gets a headstart. When the man reaches the point where the turtle was, the turtle has proceeded farther. This repeats ad infinitum and as such the man can not surpass the turtle.

Until the man's quantum uncertainty resolves itself ahead of the turtle. Checkmate.

well, that's that then, lads. motion is impossible, let's move on, shall we?

The space between them would reduce each time the man reached the turtles previous position, and as a result the time to reach the turtles new position would also be reduced. Even though there would be infinitely many of these checks, they would start happening so quickly that an infinite number will occur in a finite amount of time, thus allowing the man to finally pass the turtle.

>let's move on

We can't, motion is impossible

>Man has gun
>Man shoots turtle
>Man wins

o shit

HE SAID NOT TO MOVE ON!!!!

>bullet never catches up with turtle because it keeps having to go halfway

it reflects an ill-posedness of analyzing motion, time or distance. factorizing them can be good approximations for solving certain problwma but ultimately they are only approximate and when taken to the logical conclusion, brings about paradoxes e.g. through infinitesimals.

Then use a 30-06, if its a north american turtle it will kill it.

>try to aim at turtle with gun
>by the time I aim it has already moved
>aim again
>It has moved again
>repeat ad infinitum

>somehow manage to pull trigger
>hammer needs to go halfway to the bullet
>then half way again

>30-06
>hammer needs to halway to the bullet
stop it

Sorry, I could only get half way to remembering what a 30-06 was, and then half way again. I saw it would be an infinite process so I gave up.

I also won't be able to complete this post beca

I don't get it

Guy takes one step, turtle takes one step. Both have moved.

Zeno's paradoxes still haven't been resolved philosophically. Prove me wrong

>inb4 some freshman calc 1 student brings up convergent sums which don't address Zeno's arguments at all

No one took Zeno seriously even when he was still alive.

>b-but muh infinite tasks

And yet I can touch my keyboard to type this post. Is this thread an illusion too?

>And yet I can touch my keyboard to type this post. Is this thread an illusion too?

The point of Zeno's paradoxes are that he lays out a number of arguments that at least are superficially convincing, and yet contradict common sense (i.e. that Achilles will of course beat the tortoise). Therefore, one has to point out the flaws in the specific arguments he lays out. It's not as if Zeno literally thought the tortoise was going to beat Achilles.

The paradoxes are much more subtle than people would like to admit, but sadly most all the responses to Zeno are along the lines of "muh calculus muhfuggah" or "dood you literally think arrows can't fly through air lmao"

Infinity is a spook. That's the real flaw.

Zeno was a presented as satire by Aristotle. That was philosophy's method of resolving it: that it's stupid and should be mocked.

name something that actually has been "resolved" philosophically

How to inject jelly into doughnuts at 1200 doughnuts a minute.

>he lays out a number of arguments that at least are superficially convincing, and yet contradict common sense
Exactly. Aristotle was criticizing the advocate. The apologist, which was such a prevalent entity in the Athenian polis at the time. The rhetorician who strung along the public with prestidigitation and strings of "logic" which had no solid grounding and changed scope at a whim. It was a never a serious philosophical problem; it was a straw man.

Whoever Zeno was in his time (if he, indeed, existed) and whatever he meant by presenting his "arguments", he is preserved as a satirical argument presented by the simpleton Simplicius.

The paradox shows that there is something wrong with how we describe motion, not that motion itself is somehow a paradox.

Serious answer:
Each occurrence happens faster and faster. We reach a limit at a specific time, past which point you have surpassed the infinite number of occurrences where the man approaches where the turtle was before.

Okay but what about Thomson's lamp?
Take a lamp, it's off. Switch it on at t=1/2, off at t=3/4, keep switching at t=1-2^-n. The switchings happen faster until after a second it's been switched infinitely many times.
Does it end up on or off?