What to read after Debord? Any worthy successors or contemporary writers...

What to read after Debord? Any worthy successors or contemporary writers? Closest I can think of is Agamben or Baudrillard, maybe Virilio.

Other urls found in this thread:

mitpress.mit.edu/books/preliminary-materials-theory-young-girl
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Tried Vaneigem?

Marshall McLuhan

A little bit, but was unimpressed. Seems like a worse Deleuze/Guattari.

24/7: Late Capitalism and the Ends of Sleep by Crary is an ok follow-up desu

shit book desu

ok

Stiegler, Jameson and Lasch then

Baudrillard

And Christopher Lasch

There's the rest of the french ultraleft — Jacques Camatte, Gilles Dauve, Roland Simon.

Read it, not bad but kind of disappointing. I guess it's already been said by Debord.

Lasch is pretty damn based.

What's his best? System of Objects? Screened Out?

>DeBord
>McLuhan
>Baudrillard
>Lasch

These all seem to fit together naturally.

>What's his best?

Probably Simulacra and Simulation, but I recommend starting with The Jean Baudrillard Reader, edited by Steve Redhead. Gives you the breadth of Baudrillard's output, which is highly varied, so that you can see how his thought developed, and then pick whatever is most interesting to you.

Anselm Jappe

Except McLuhan is garbage and pretty much the opposite of Debord.

mitpress.mit.edu/books/preliminary-materials-theory-young-girl

Looks interesting. Although Tiqqun seem edgy as fuck.

it's p dece supp/complementary material
tiqqun were p edgy yea

So what exactly is late capitalism? I see this term thrown around like some kind of magic talisman, and no one ever elaborates or questions.

Lipstick Traces: A Secret History of the 20th Century (1989) Greil Marcus

I've heard good things about this book, even though I don't really appreciate punk.

Capitalism after "Fordism" probably. It could easily just be called post-Fordist capitalism, but they like to imply capitalism is dying, therefore we will look upon this era as latter capitalism, or "late capitalism."

>videogames are garbage and the opposite of board games

I loved culture of narcissism by Lasch

I'm quoting Debord here. He sees Mcluhan as an apologist for the spectacle, only to latter realize that the "global village" is not good and needs to be moderated.

Debord hated Mcluhan.

>political
>science

Care to share the source?
Macluhan believed from the start that electronic media would make people less intelligent. Of course he did not fight the spectacle like Debord did, but to say that Mcluhan was an apologist for the spectacle is misinformed. He did profit from it academically but was essentially critical of it.