>S
>L
>A
>T
>I
>O
>N
>S

I liked Allen Mandelbaum's translation. It's the only one I have read but it's supposed to be very good.

Just learn Italian, it's easy if you took Latin in high scholl

There are a lot of english translations of The Divina Comedy and as I know the most appreciated is the one by John Ciardi. Dante is hard to fully understand for italian native speakers as well but the musicality of the words is immediate, and Ciardi's translation tries to convey the same.

Also make sure you've read the bible and aeneid

Thank you

The one you'll read.

how do i learn Italian? Rosetta Stone?

This, just fucking learn Italian. Translations are for middlebrows.

do people actually learn italian and manage to read the comedy? i'm italian and can't understand shit without notes. maybe i'm just a pleb

Just learn Italian, tbqh

It's kind of like reading Chaucer or Shakespeare in English. A non-pleb should be able to understand it with a bit of practice.

>tfw you will never read the Tao Te Ching

>bothering to learn any language except latin and classical greek

Italian here as well and I thought the same. They could read notes as well I guess but still you must be proficient in Italian. I wonder if someone actually did it.

Whats your opinion on Decameron, italokeks?

Yes, even if you read a translation you'll never understand it. Plus, the Tao Te Ching is so poetic that English translations tend to be new-age paraphrases. Better to not read it at all or learn about it second-hand.
The languages worth knowing are thus:
>English
>French
>Latin
>Greek
>Italian
>German
The rest is optional. Norwegian, Spanish, Russian, and Occitan are optional.

>French

Italian here. Don't even bother with translations, if you're really interested learn the language, in this case it's truly worth it.
It's like translating Shakespear, 99% of the craft just disappears if you do so.

yeah, do what this guy did and just learn Italian because you want to read this book

Taking a great class on it this semester. I prefer it to Canterbury Tales, overall a great read

Ho imparato abbastanza per riuscire a vedere televisione. PotrĂ² leggere la comedia con questo?

vulgate

Probably not, but there is always a paraphrase in modern italian and we have to read it to understand Dante's words as well. I'd suggest you to keep an english translation anyway while reading it in italian, you could really manage it with perseverance. It's worthy.

I didn't like it much when studied it in school and I haven't given it a second chance yet honestly. It's nothing comparable to Dante, but the language is much more immediate and so are the novellas. It's interesting for the satire and for the erotic content that made it an "immoral" book. Pier Paolo Pasolini's film (The Decameron, 1971) is focused on this as well, you might find it useful.