Tfw just finished Ulysses

>tfw just finished Ulysses
I really feel like I have a deeper appreciatan for life now. Joye writes like no other. He should be considered the new Shakespeare.

What should I read next? Finnegan's Wake?

Yes. FW is a litmus test for patricians. If you don't completely understand it, then you're still a pleb.

hmmm side boob

Is that thumbnail supposed to look like two guys 69ing?

it can if u want it to ;)

hmmm nice

I can't see it-

something like this

you're just gay and horny and projecting

you should get that checked out.
I'm glad you enjoyed it OP, it's a good novel. Don't listen to faggots like because FW is arguably deliberately obfuscatory and difficult. I have a theory that he wrote as a sort of "anti-scholar" novel, in that he made it so enigmatic and unclear that people analyzing it could conjure any number of ideas as to what it means. This is not to say that it's bad or unenjoyable, but if you're considering reading it, really prepare yourself to be confused a lot, but if you suspend the part of your brain that needs it to make sense, then you can just go with the flow and enjoy his whacky ass and very inventive prose.

i wasn't even that user, i just thought it was funny so i drew it out

this would be a great next novel. It's similar to Ulysses in that it's an encyclopediac, maximalist novel which is sort of like a very indepth catalogue of mundane and ordinary details and lives, albeit JR is set in mid 20th century America. It's largely, like 85% composed of just dialogue, not much narrative exposition, but when it happens it's very interesting.

You should learn another language, like Italian or Greek and then read again Ulysses.

What the shit

Be warned that you need a very broad education to read Finnegans Wake. It's not a young man's novel at all. It's something you should approach only after half a lifetime's reading.

Nah.

Read RAW's chapter on FW in Coincidance. It shows how there are basically four dimensions being written in FW by every sentence. To use a Jungian sort of labels they might be waking life, personal unconscious, collective unconscious, archetypal. It's not that FW is Jungian, but that's just one set of labels that help to highlight the different strands of what is being written simultaneously.

The idea is that each sentence can work on all four levels, as well as explicit and wordplay puns that reference nearly every aspect of Joyce's culture and real geographic landmarks.

It's pretty cool book desu, but not your typical attempt at narrative.

Sure, read the wake, it's fun

{spoiler} ALOUD [SPOILER]

I gotta say, there's nothing like Ulysses out there. It really felt like Joyce taught me a new language to think in. In the end, I'm glad you liked it as much as I did, my suggestion is at this point, you should read some Gaddis (not expecting the same kind of work) The Recognitions, and not just JR, and read some lighter works for a more calm pleasure, and in a year or so, go back to Ulysses with some study guides and really dig in a bit more. It really gives you the feeling that the next time you read it, you won't get nearly the same experience out of it.

Huh, I just finished part 1 of Ulysses and had a suspicion Joyce was a Jungian, reading some of it.
good, I subscribe to much of Jung's thought
Don't think I'd like reading all of FW tho, he overdoes everything I don't like about him there, which is making sort of self-gratifying puzzles of obscure literary/cultural reference. It adds little to the prose or insight in the human condition, just gets in the way imo.

read again now user. you can only consider that you have read ulysses when you go through it at LEAST two times. seriously.

>Joyce was a Jungian
Not at the time of Ulysses, which predates the key publications of Jung's career.

Finnegans Wake does show a considerable affinity with Jung's ideas. But you could argue (like Jung) that we're all born with those ideas in our heads anyway.

It's hard to overstress the importance of re-reading Ulysses. But not straight after you've finished it. I suggest digesting it for at least five years before coming back to it. The better read you are, the more you'll enjoy it.

yeah, I exaggerated a bit, but it depends on the person I guess. and its actually really nice to see how much you evolved when re-reading such a great book. the same happened with divine comedy. first time I read it I didn't even know who virgil was (still enjoyed it a lot). then re-reading after the greeks, the essential of the romans, aquinas and augustine just felt like enlightenment

wow

I love it, it's my favorite book ever and I don't give a fuck what anyone says about it. I do stream of consciousness journaling as a form of meditation, and Joyce is so good at it, and his prose at times can be so beautiful that I reread it several times, mark it and save it to read to myself as I fall asleep. Like that early one of Stephen laying near the water and he's closing his eyes and "pain was far."

I really enjoy the first 3 or so chapters that focus on Stephen but I struggle to keep going once it shifts to Bloom. I haven't finished the book but I've reread the first 3 chapters countless times because I like them so much.

Is there something wrong with me? Give me the motivation to finish reading this book, Veeky Forums

Watch the movie.

I competely understood it!

Fine by me if that makes me a patrician now. I guess I'm not too obsessed with stuff like that, whether I'm a patrician or not, since that wouldn't be very patrician.

This picture just makes me so happy, I just can't even express how satisfying it is to look at.

kek

Laughed so hard I woke the neighbor

It's the combination of blonde hair, titty and the green grass. Just so free and fertile.

Also her flushed cheeks... Hng

reminds me of my ex

makes me really sad

aaah first loves!