I've made a mistake, Veeky Forums...

I've made a mistake, Veeky Forums. My university has an agreement with the Department of Energy to share time on a joint supercomputing project, and one of the professors I do research for was recently cleared to request time on it. The only spot we get is incredibly early in the morning, so last week I was supposed to supervise the output, but I uploaded this shitty program I wrote in python to procedurally generate books instead. I had been able to get paragraphs off of my laptop if I let it run long enough, but this thing wrote 50,000 fucking words in 20 seconds.

I was able to upload and run the research just fine, but I emailed the book to the head of the English department, and he asked me to come to his office and preceded to lose it. I had used "A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man" and "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" as the input texts, just because they sounded interesting together, and evidently he had a problem with either one or both. He threatened to tell the dean about the supercomputer misuse, which could be a felony, and I'm pretty much guaranteed to lose my scholarship (which I only got in the first place because I have ADHD.)

I'm scared shitless because I had already posted it to Amazon, with a cutesy title and topical description and some meme tier cover art, really laughing it up, before he freaked out, and now amazon support has locked my account without removing it from the store. Is it going to be worse that I tried to monetize it, should I still try to take it down, or does it not matter at this point? What the fuck do I do?

Other urls found in this thread:

foxnews.com/tech/2014/06/10/nsf-suspends-researcher-who-misused-supercomputers-to-mine-bitcoins.html
pastebin.com/P8kvWqSG
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MURDLPW/
nickm.com/montfort_strickland/sea_and_spar_between/reading.html
youtube.com/watch?v=LY7x2Ihqjmc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Get an agent.

>implying that all books aren't written by computers anyways

haha i like that can i have that picture?

Sure, have at it, it won't matter when they've got me locked up for misuse of federal property

Would a computer ever be able to write any fiction of worth? It seems like it wouldn't really have anything interesting to say, although it would be able to have a perfect plot, prose, etc.

>Taking this robot with us take woman, said to a small knot of creatures from the fallen great one, it was not their annual retreat before the just man, death and suffering into the vital wave had carried a whistle dangling from the dean's Street, he said, still gaily. Heaps of wet rubbish," Shall we shoot out into deep space that I really wish it would clear up from my own perfectly still, steady as familiar to him as dark vapours. Strange figures advance as from all that's whistle, his mother put her face down the incline into the others. Should be used. He had been thrown by repeating. He paused and gazing absently at the first lamp. Together with the compound interest, his silver - as if relationships between the Galactic Centre and night by night, but it was ill - plastered coat. , so I better warn you, I't get any kind of news in the porter aiding him, clearing the thick scum of disgust.-- Pawn to king't know how, too, were reptile.

Decide for yourself I guess

what the fuck, that actually reads like joyce

I really don't know much about this sort of thing, but I would speak to the professor you did research for about it.

It seems like the english head may just be concerned about himself.

But I think trying to profit off of your time is a really bad idea.
Maybe try to remove it from amazon?

This is assuming you were only on for ~20 seconds.

I hope you don't get kicked out. That's hilarious and probably a better use for it then any idea the English dept head could have thought up. Your posting it to amazon may be the nail in your coffin tho. Just make sure no one else finds out about it

cont.
Here's a relevant article about people mining bitcoins and associate cryptocurrencies.
foxnews.com/tech/2014/06/10/nsf-suspends-researcher-who-misused-supercomputers-to-mine-bitcoins.html

harvard internal notice about dogecoin
pastebin.com/P8kvWqSG

Assuming you haven't made any money, your case is much less severe.

I think you should nuke the amazon posting asap, and if they don't know about it, don't bring it up.

Thanks for the info - it looks like the researcher in that article wasn't prosecuted, which would point to the lit professor at my school bluffing to some extent, I guess. He might be only upset about the "writing a book with a computer" part (he literally spit in my face and called it a "travesty") and is just using the misuse as leverage. I've emailed amazon support several times, but my account is apparently blocked for copyright infringement, and they're no longer responding, yet the book is still live on the store. I hardly know what copyright infringement they can find in shit like but I hope the listing deletes itself soon.

He literally spit in your face or he literally spit inyour face?

Because that's assault.

Is this a critique thread? These opening lines to your book fucking suck

God, does every memo at an elite educational institution tell the staudent what great saviors of mankind they are? Is that what it is?!

t. Triggered liberal arts brainlet

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MURDLPW/

You're done for user, this is too good to not share

Fuck you, you're not helping

the egos at harvard are so fragile as to be shattered by the slighest shift in the winds

you must have a powerful strain of autism to think posting it on amazon was a good idea. Good luck, you'll need it when the university tries to fuck your ass

Why would you not think you with hit with copyright infringement went you used the titles of both books in the title and copied the cover of Portrait for the cover? you were literally asking for it and got exactly what you deserved you moron. If you gave it an original title they probably would have never found it but now it's posted in this very thread. Maybe you don't deserve to be in University since you are so mindnumbingly stupid

that shit's in public domain nigga

Sweet Jesus.

Amazon's copyright detection probably doesn't know that

This thread is glorious.

There is such a thing as fair use, and even though its hard to prove I have legitimately no doubt that using the title, the author's names, or even the cover art would be protected in this situation. Besides, look at the prose; who would prosecute over this?

Whoever owns the rights to hitch hikers guide probably won't be fond of the idea. Joyce himself may rise from the grave to approve of it though.

>supercomputer misuse, which could be a felony
It is not a felony. Tell the head of the English department to fuck off, he has no authority in deciding what you can do in the allotted time with the super computer.

This. The professor is crushed by his own hunch that it is better than any of his own "experimental" writing, and will sell better too.

Damn, that's crazy. At my shitty state school They just told us "stop pirating "Gone in 60 Seconds" or you're getting kicked out."

Seconded. In our Veeky Forums does Goosebumps I am turning to page 65; OP tells the prof to get fucked and makes a sequel.

Even if this isn't legally actionable you'll probably end up booted of university onto your ass OP. Maybe think things through a little better next time

He should publish it under the professor's name.

He would have true value to his name:

> The consumptive man with the sky with easy power and love. Life became a divine gift on its appointed day he had imagined a bit of talk when he's speaking of. And for the souls in purgatory or for the grace having ceased to refresh his soul. At that moment the bottom fell out of Arthur blinked at him. Moment in such a tone, was silent; that as he walked along the North Strand Road, glancing idly to their talk or in some more secret power. He would have a high whistling sound of the cane in time to their house whom they had shaken hands with his sad eyes. Sadder to Stephen's ear : And whipped! And boiled up beneath the bubble, his orange sash round his neck. Out a wild whoop in words to the priest. His anger against the prefect's a sort of electronic component is that if he suffer the loss of such a being young and the prey of restless foolish impulses, angry also with. It then excretes into the mind of the seawrack upon their ravishers, clipped and this form progresses till you hear. Temple moved away nimbly. Was not to be hoodwinked or deceived. Every day Father Dolan.

And whipped! indeed

Yes! OP do it! Mix Dostoevsky and Chad Kultgen. It'll be laff.

if this is true, my god

What would be the potentially best combinations of this software? Joyce and Adams is just the beginning, this could be the first in a series

Melville and Tao Lin
Camus and Rowling
Woolf and Burroughs
Mishima and straight anime fanfiction

The true Veeky Forums god is the irst to read them all fully

Nice idea. I personally would love to see Jung and Thompson.

>Mersault stretched his legs.
>Mersault realized he's gay.
> Mersault gets topped by the arab.

Ta Nahesi Coates and Hitler

Worth buying just for the cover

It's this you, Eco? Is heaven a infinite library?

Where do you get the text?

This has been done to mild academic acclaim. Look up "of sea and spar between". I think it's a poetry generator using Whitman and someone else, maybe Dickinson. Regardless, there's a place for a lil' discourse on this as an art project. If I were you, I'd type up a quick thesis on mimetics, originality, and artificial intelligence.

how do you make a generator like that....!?

Camus and Rowling gave me cancer to evn think about

Here ya go. It's Dickinson and Moby Dick. Lame that they didn't call it Moby Dickinson.
nickm.com/montfort_strickland/sea_and_spar_between/reading.html

So... how many sales did you get and was it really worth the time and effort you put into writing this OP?

i feel like this thread is an elaborate viral marketing plan but i don't care, cover art is hilarious, text is hilarious, your conundrum is hilarious,

thanks for making my day user

oh my god.

kek there's a review already

Mark my words, this is Veeky Forums's next reading group choice

Hitchhiker's isn't

Got it lads

I need to see this

WHY NICOLAS

At least make it free you cunt

For 3.50 the value in this is immense, if I don't read this cover to cover I'll be too ashamed to go outside

>Warrior : in fact he remembered having been present with him : he says the same. Walnut in Johannesburg, and put on his tall aspiring trees with breathtaking slenderness and colour which was then breaking, every flush deeper than the birth of the word VISA, said, it is a boy in this college, stood rocking himself and was soon lost his temper and began to fall like dew was thick I't know why - he just liked axes over the door, the idea of which was strewn with wisps of straw and rope ends and into the Z mean ?" said Arthur, glaring at him. He wished he knew what it somewhere it can afford our rather expensive services ." Arthur, a couple of hitchhikers aboard, partly because they made him feel very happy ." Deep in the air. A quartet of them, an angry look, but was in fact ," he continued as he crossed the threshold and said :'s husband wanders into the night sky was on the wane. , been more or less a fait accompli : himself, his name so ." His fingers the brittle texture of him and right and then the loud crack of a pandybat on these cybernetic simpletons !" he shouted. Mr Dedalus's cup of watery tea to the rector about him. I fear his brain was filled with violent jerks and all eternity were easier of acceptance by his own class coming towards the college gate. Into the tunnel, the gross illusion of the minister. They were all strangers to him any medicine. Perhaps it was that he said. Trillian glared an upset glare at mass in the catacombs. His daily life proceeds from God's party at Harold's Cross. )" I present you your sins, no procession. He had been touched, but could not interpret any other avenue of apprehension. Is that clear idea of what such questions, trivial to his soul that he called the reeking outhouse door. His arbour, as he called Kitty O' Shea that Mr Casey would look down on him shivery to think of its discovery. The way it functioned was a smiler? said : Depart from what he had hitherto imagined her sanctuary, turning quickly up to see Ford Prefect standing in front of Arthur doubtfully. He wasn't doing very cold. Zaphod was ," said Zaphod, glad of their tepid limbs over which his single word of command of God, the dean's firm land again. At the same time, the clear radiance of the chapel. The eyes were not offended deeply God's. Well that grew in Greece outside under the trees.

Is OP in jail yet?

Pynchon x Gaddis x DFW pls.
Fuse the meme trilogy into one.

>and I'm pretty much guaranteed to lose my scholarship (which I only got in the first place because I have ADHD.)
Maybe you can play this whole thing off as proof you have autism instead and land another scholarship for that.

Are you a first year student? People misuse grant money and shit all the time. 20 seconds on the super computer to write some meme book is hardly going to get you in trouble unless your advisor already wants to kick you out.

I mean that dude at Harvard that mined Dogecoin using their supercomputers only got banned from using them. So I doubt that you will get too badly fucked.

lolita and the very hungry caterpillar

"I purchased this engaging web-novella for my wife's son, but got lost in the thick, bibulous musk of Joyce/Adams' thrilling prose. Truly a delight from start to finish. A more original and experimental work cannot possibly exist, and I bet my position as a mediocre English professor on it (not that it means much to anyone).

Anyway, for a price as low as a Loch Ness toll, you could do much worse than A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man 2: Chopped and Screwed: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Jesuits?"

>so last week I was supposed to supervise the output, but I uploaded this shitty program I wrote in python to procedurally generate books instead.
I'm still trying to wrap my head around how this happened.

Victor Hugo and Stephen King.
Trump and either Sanders or Clinton.
Tolkien and a variety of fapfics from /mlp/.

Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.
I want to see if technology can do the same thing that happened with Good Omens.

There should be more creative ways of pretending you believe OP's RP, don't you think

give us the source code plox

youtube.com/watch?v=LY7x2Ihqjmc
Reminds of this generated short film with the guy from Silicon Valley.

This is rich man, RICH!

I'm laughing rn holy crap

Trump and Evola
Trump and Hobbes

I want this to be real more than I've ever wanted anything in my life.

>The Art of the Tiger

I personally would like to read Das Kapital in the style of Trump.

>and you've got this yuuuuge superstructure, it's the best believe me folks

If OP can get the program to write footnotes, pretty much anyone and DFW would be great.

Crippled America, and what the Leviathan can do to it Make it Great Again!

Trump and DFW

Industrial society and it's future combined with My Twisted World

The manifestos of Chris Dorner and Adam Lanza.

Rodgers and Sean spicer

Just think, at some point in the near future, we will have the computing power, and a premade program, to churn these out whenever we want them. The future is beautiful.